In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hunting Tricks

buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
Does anyone have any little hunting tricks that work or equipment hints,such as.. Hanging a fixed position stand can be as you all know quite a chour. I use my climber stand pull up my fixed position stand and screw in the steps on the way down, lot easier than hanging from the tree with one arm done that one too many times.[:D][:D]

Work smarter not harder

Comments

• Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    "screw in the steps on the way down" [:0]???? That just hurts saying it, I suppose you pick a nice straight white oak or something maybe around 22 inches in diameter? Think if you were a tree, is that what you'd want? [:(]
    Come on buckeyboy, they have steps that strap on, better yet a latter is easier to setup and climb, those portable aluminum ones are the ticket.

Okay since I'm done complaining, back to your question.
    Rather than buy the no scent soap/shampoo stuff that has been getting a bit ridiculous in price, I use baking soda. Take a shower and wash your hair in that and I'm good to go. I do use the deodorant though, seems like I sweat more when I use baking soda.

One more, always take arrows with you. [:I] I sat in a tree stand in WV a couple years ago for almost two hours before realizing I left my quiver in the back of the truck. [:o)] I have to admit the night before was sorta tough on me so I used that as an excuse. [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    when i hang a stand i set all the steps then put one above where i want my stand to go and run a rope from it so i can pull up my stand and tye it off so its right where i want it. then i climb up the tree and set another peg equal to another one that i can stand on so my feet are even while hanging a stand that way your going to have an easier time

"There's been streetfights, blue lights...Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest...It just showed me how much I could take...Hard times, bad luck...Sometimes, life sucks...That's all right, I'm ok...It ain't nothin' but another day..."
    -M.G-
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    "screw in the steps on the way down" [:0]???? That just hurts saying it, I suppose you pick a nice straight white oak or something maybe around 22 inches in diameter? Think if you were a tree, is that what you'd want? [:(]
    Come on buckeyboy, they have steps that strap on, better yet a latter is easier to setup and climb, those portable aluminum ones are the ticket.

Okay since I'm done complaining, back to your question.
    Rather than buy the no scent soap/shampoo stuff that has been getting a bit ridiculous in price, I use baking soda. Take a shower and wash your hair in that and I'm good to go. I do use the deodorant though, seems like I sweat more when I use baking soda.

One more, always take arrows with you. [:I] I sat in a tree stand in WV a couple years ago for almost two hours before realizing I left my quiver in the back of the truck. [:o)] I have to admit the night before was sorta tough on me so I used that as an excuse. [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    [:o)]Funny you should say that about arrows, When I was hunting in New Jersey,got up in the tree safety harness on all set ready to hunt nock an arrow only to realize I took the quiver with feild tips I did not have any broadheads felt like such a dope[:o)][:o)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At least you had arrows. Imagine seeing someone walking through the woods in camo with a bow and no arrows....That woulda been me [:I]

I've shot at rabbits before only to realize I had slugs in my gun instead of shot. As a matter a fact I do some pretty dumb stuff, a lot! [:D]

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I saw Ted Nugent do something cool on TV. He brings a big syringe with him to the woods. When he field dresses a deer, he uses the syringe to drain the bladder. It keeps pee off of the meat, and then you can cap it off and use it later for attractant/cover scent.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At least you had arrows. Imagine seeing someone walking through the woods in camo with a bow and no arrows....That woulda been me [:I]

I've shot at rabbits before only to realize I had slugs in my gun instead of shot. As a matter a fact I do some pretty dumb stuff, a lot! [:D]

[}:)]Hey Sus. I was looking for some good ideas, comon i'm sure you got one in there somewhere. You shot a rabbit with a slug??? Thats just plain mean man.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not shot a rabbit, shot at a rabbit with a slug. I don't clean out my hunting coats much and I just happened to pull a slug outa the pocket instead of a shot shell.

I like Ben's idea from Ted though. It is so easy to nick the bladder or rip it getting it out.

I'm sure you all know about cutting of scent glands, freezing them until you need them to use a drag going in and out of the woods, so I can't use that suggestion. Let me ponder on this a while...

• Options
    edited November -1
    Not shot a rabbit, shot at a rabbit with a slug. I don't clean out my hunting coats much and I just happened to pull a slug outa the pocket instead of a shot shell.

I like Ben's idea from Ted though. It is so easy to nick the bladder or rip it getting it out.

I'm sure you all know about cutting of scent glands, freezing them until you need them to use a drag going in and out of the woods, so I can't use that suggestion. Let me ponder on this a while...

[?] have any of you guys used decoys? they are not legal in my home state.[?]
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turkey yes, deer nope.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    Turkey yes, deer nope.

same answer here

• Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My clothes and boots never see the inside of my house. I put everything in a big tote, and for walking to the woods my dad got me to using pure vanilla on my boots as a cover scent. I've had deer walk through the woods and watched them lick leaves on the ground exactly where i've walked. As for my stationary stands I use a ratchet pully to hoist them in the tree then attach them.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • Options
    dennisjohnsondennisjohnson Member Posts: 471 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    decoys make it almost too easy during rut. this year i'm taking the camera along.my buddy has had bucks try to mount his decoy with doe in heat sent on it!<<i swear!.. scouting and trail cams can easily put a guy on nice deer in this area. thanks for the seringe tip...gonna try it![:D]

dennis
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought an old military wool blanket that I carry with me into the woods. When I get into my tree stand, I wrap it around me, really keeps the heat in, kinda like a sleeping bag. It rolls up nicely and ties to the stand with a string.

I used a piece of pvc pipe (2" x about 22") with one end capped and the other has a clean out end, (top screws off), I mounted this to my stand with two screws. I carry my porta magnum umbrella and some maps, lighter, compass, etc in it. If you do this, attach the lid with a string. I can tell you that you will lose them if you dont.

pvc tubes also make great topo map storage tubes.

muss
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    My clothes and boots never see the inside of my house. I put everything in a big tote, and for walking to the woods my dad got me to using pure vanilla on my boots as a cover scent. I've had deer walk through the woods and watched them lick leaves on the ground exactly where i've walked. As for my stationary stands I use a ratchet pully to hoist them in the tree then attach them.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
    [:)]Thanks for the info never tried vanilla, I am however a true believer that thats the most important thing you can do is be scent free as possible or cover as much human scent as possible. I also carry my cloths into the woods in a scent lock bag and change close to my stand. I used to laugh at hunters who did this thinking it was too much work. But my sucess has increased dramaticly coincidence maybe. maybe not. it works for me and hardly ever get busted even downwind. deer get a little neverous but they don't blow and run off.[^][?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    pure vanilla huh, gonna have to try that one.

I keep all my cloths in a scent lok bag inside a plastic tote in the back of my truck. Once I get to where I'm hunting I change before I go into the woods. It can be rather cold sometimes [:D]

• Options
    MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't miss![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Seriously, a tip for any user of feather fletching; use fly fishing fly drying powder to make your feathers impervious to water, it also dries already wet fletching. And a tip I got from Edersbow; if you use feathers, like I, have a spare arrow with vanes just in case you have rotten luck and somehow all feathers are damaged.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I put muzzleloader bore butter on the exposed metal parts on my bow to keep them from rusting especially in inclimate weather situations.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I put muzzleloader bore butter on the exposed metal parts on my bow to keep them from rusting especially in inclimate weather situations.
    [?]Gog. what about the scent doesn't that bore butter have kind of strong mint smell? I usually just dry off whatever when I get back to the truck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The stuff I use doesn't stink anymore than chapstick. The deer either don't smell it or don't pay any attention to it guessing the first one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The stuff I use doesn't stink anymore than chapstick. The deer either don't smell it or don't pay any attention to it guessing the first one.
    [:)]Cool, Thats good to know cause I have had days where rust actually starts to form on certain parts especially if i'm spending all day in the woods. I will have to give it a try.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One year I used mint leaves as an attractant. My mom had some reallt strong smelling mint growing in the hollow beside their house and for some reason I took some with me and placed it about 50 yards away from my stand. I saw a lot of deer the next week and all of them traveled right past that mint. it was mainly does, but where you got a doe a buck will surely be coming.
    I only tried it once though cause it never grew there again.

My other suggestion would to be quite and very still. [;)]

• Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    I used to have a problem in Tagging my Gobbler till I learned from an Old Timer as to how to get a Turkey every year.

What you do is bait for them with some Cracked Corn and in this corn you mix in a few Horse Tail Hairs.You can then sleep in a little later in the morning you see,because now all you gotta do is Blood Trail them because their throat now tickles so bad that they scratch themselves so bad they leave a good trail for quite a ways.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ouch! That's not very friendly you know! Ok, shooting them with an arrow doesn't classify as friendly either..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not allowed to bait turkey here in Ohio, allowed to bait deer, but not turkey....????? don't ask me[?]

That does sound a bit cruel and kinda funny at the same time. Sorta like giving peanut butter to a dog and watching it go crazy trying to get it off the roof of it's mouth.