In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do you grunt?

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
Anyone here ever had luck grunting in deer. I have grunted in big bucks before, but they always circle downwind, grunt or snort back and wait for a response. It seems to me that you can grunt a deer in to 40-50 yards, but to get them under your stand can be a completely different story. Also, when they come in, they are on the highest level of alert.

So, do you guys have any good grunt stories?

Ben(who likes to sit still and be quiet)

Comments

• Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I tried grunting for like 3 years then gave up on it because it never seemed to do much for me, same with rattling. Then last year I grunted a decent size buck and he came tearing into me, but stopped shy because he winded me (I was on the ground). It was pretty intense feeling hearing him crashing through the brush and seeing the tops of his antlers every now and then coming straight towards me. Other than that time I haven't had much luck. I really only use my grunt to stop a deer so I can get a shot.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    To stop a deer I use a mouth call. BAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOP. It works really well, and it sounds funny.
    Ben
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grunt call sometimes when they're off in the distance. As far as when they are close to stop them I have good luck smoochin at em. Now i'll just sit back and wait fer the comments about the smoochin[:D]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    Grunt call sometimes when they're off in the distance. As far as when they are close to stop them I have good luck smoochin at em. Now i'll just sit back and wait fer the comments about the smoochin[:D]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
    [:D]I'M 42 years old this year "I grunt every single morning when I get out of bed." OH yea occasionally I grunt deer haven't had much luck. Did rattle in my first two bucks this year it's the one in the picture from illinois. Thats the first buck I have ever rattled in and I have tried quite a bit. I try now just to watch my scent and play the wind think that is my best shot at getting close If a deer is walking away I will try a grunt at that point nothin too lose.
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My hunting buddy swears by the grunt. I've hunted with him for ten years now, seems I always kill alot more deer than he does...... Don't figure.

muss
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Nathans Dad (Crosshair); grunted this 7 pt. in three times within maybe a half hour period to when Nathan was finally able to finally shoot the Buck with his Crossbow.Lung shot fell him within 60 yds.He came running in one time in a hurry and Crosshair thought he was going to jump on top of him in a ground blind he was sitting in near Nathans tree stand.

Image05_Nathan_Buck.jpg

This was Nathans first attempt ever at Bowhunting.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I grunted at a little buck this year and he took off running. Im guessing he got his tail whiped by a big deer and he thought i was him

"There's been streetfights, blue lights...Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest...It just showed me how much I could take...Hard times, bad luck...Sometimes, life sucks...That's all right, I'm ok...It ain't nothin' but another day..."
    -M.G-
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only one time I can say I brought a buck in with a grunt. I have gotten them to respond, but not come in, except the one time.
    I was bowhunting, stalking, and I decided to sit on a rock and rest. I got out my thermos, poured a cup, and noticed the grunt tube sticking out of my bag. Just for laughs, I grunted. 3 seconds later I heard a grunt, which sounded like a pig, and then 10 seconds later I had a buck standing twenty yards away. Of course, my bow was on th ground-I was enjoying a cup of coffee.
    Taught me a lesson for sure.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    Benn44Benn44 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found a grunt tube to be effective during the pre-rut period and in conjunction with horn rattling. It is also useful as an attention getter at times. I used a grunt tube to bring in & shoot my biggest whitetail buck...166 gross.(3rd. week in Nov.) All in all, I think it is an effective tool in my whitetail arsenal. One thing I've found effective during the early season is to use a horn to rake bushes and rub trees...mimicking a buck polishing his horns.[8D]
  • Options
    Benn44Benn44 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:)][:)][:)]
    Just how close do you hunt to your buddy MUSS [?][;)]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Benn44
    I've found a grunt tube to be effective during the pre-rut period and in conjunction with horn rattling. It is also useful as an attention getter at times. I used a grunt tube to bring in & shoot my biggest whitetail buck...166 gross.(3rd. week in Nov.) All in all, I think it is an effective tool in my whitetail arsenal. One thing I've found effective during the early season is to use a horn to rake bushes and rub trees...mimicking a buck polishing his horns.[8D]
    [8D]Benn love too see a picture of that monster.