In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crossbow Stringing

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
I have a fairly inexpensive recurve crossbow that I got mainly just for fun. It was very difficult to string it the first time (even for the guy at Bass Pro with the press). Anyhow, I was wondering if it's okay to leave it strung all the time or does it have to be taken down? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBV
    I have a fairly inexpensive recurve crossbow that I got mainly just for fun. It was very difficult to string it the first time (even for the guy at Bass Pro with the press). Anyhow, I was wondering if it's okay to leave it strung all the time or does it have to be taken down? Any advice would be appreciated.
    [;)]If it is that inexpensive, considering how difficult it was too string, I would leave it strung all the time.A compound bow is strung and doesen't hurt it, mind you this is just a guess I don't know the first thing about crossbows except for the guy in RI where I live shot another motorist with one cause he cut him off.[:0][:0]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    If it was that hard to string, are you sure you have the correct size string on it? Everything I know about longs and recurves says they should be stored stringless.

Ben(who also knows nothing about crossbows)
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Leave it strung. Have a buddy who keeps his cocked hanging in his garage the entire season each year. Wouldn't recommend that, but you know what I'm saying.

welcome aboard DBV

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Buckmasters crossbow, and it says in the book that it is OK to leave the thing cocked permanently. If it is OK to leave it cocked all of the time, I would think it is OK to leave it stringed.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man