In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What do you guys think?

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
I pulled into a little coffee shop this morning on my way to work cause I was out of coffee at home and I noticed this truck beside mine when I left. It was a beat up toyota 4x4 with South Carolina plates, no big deal. One guy sitting inside the truck and another in the store, both looked like normal old joes. They had a lot of stickers in their truck window though. One in particular read " IBOHUNT" and had a pretty poor picture of a deer with a guy stabbing at the deer with an arrow in his hand. Another said "Bambi rocks on my grill" with flames all around a deers head, a doe to beat. Plus there were some others about guns and so on. The guy from inside walked out and I noticed him looking at me out of the corner of his eye, probably cause I was standing there staring at his truck[:D]. So I started talking to him and asked if he hunted, he said can't you tell with a big smile. So I told him I was confused because his stickers gave me the impression that he was making fun of hunting. He looked at me rather oddly then got in his truck and drove away. I wasn't trying to be rude and felt I did a good job at being nice to the guy cause I had the feeling he just didn't see his stickers in the manner I was taking them.
What do you guys think? Stuff like that to me just down grades our sport which doesn't have many supporters as is.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    I pulled into a little coffee shop this morning on my way to work cause I was out of coffee at home and I noticed this truck beside mine when I left. It was a beat up toyota 4x4 with South Carolina plates, no big deal. One guy sitting inside the truck and another in the store, both looked like normal old joes. They had a lot of stickers in their truck window though. One in particular read " IBOHUNT" and had a pretty poor picture of a deer with a guy stabbing at the deer with an arrow in his hand. Another said "Bambi rocks on my grill" with flames all around a deers head, a doe to beat. Plus there were some others about guns and so on. The guy from inside walked out and I noticed him looking at me out of the corner of his eye, probably cause I was standing there staring at his truck[:D]. So I started talking to him and asked if he hunted, he said can't you tell with a big smile. So I told him I was confused because his stickers gave me the impression that he was making fun of hunting. He looked at me rather oddly then got in his truck and drove away. I wasn't trying to be rude and felt I did a good job at being nice to the guy cause I had the feeling he just didn't see his stickers in the manner I was taking them.
    What do you guys think? Stuff like that to me just down grades our sport which doesn't have many supporters as is.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    [:(!]Sus I coulden't agree with you more. It does down grade the sport. most good hunters dont have a bunch of crap on their truck most good hunters want to be respected and show that hunters are sportsmen and polite. unfortunatally there will always be the guy who has to let everyone know he's mr bad *. well he is an *. In any case my state is small if I kill a deer around christmas time I make sure nobody see's it I cover it up. Not everyone like hunting and little kids are out thinking about Santa and rain deer and what not. I think it would show bad taste of me to have a dead deer drapped across my hood. [;)]We don't get respect We must earn it.[8D][8D]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Maybe it does. But, it's the nature of the sportsmen. Rednecks and hicks comprise most of our ranks. In fact, I'd have to say that there's probably a little red in all of us hunters. I wouldn't have those stickers; but, I doubt that they really do that much harm, as there are * all over. I think you said the right thing.
    Ben
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I agree with you both

Buckeyboy, since you mentioned the deer on the hood, did you guys see that jeep comercial before it got pulled off TV? I only heard about it but I guess it was making fun of hunters BIG time. Jeep pulled the commercial because they got a ton of negative responses about it as soon as it aired a few months back.

Ben, my old lady tells me all the time I'm a red neck, but whenever she goes with me to the camper in WV her mouth really drops.[:D] I have to admit two things about red necks. I was once in a very backwoods town in SC, lost and looking for a lake we planned on catfishing at. When we went into a garage/house (we weren't exactly sure)for directions I was actually scared. There were three of us, all grown men, and I was scared.
    The other is that I have met some people that would be considered the picture defination of Hick/Redneck and they were the nicest people. One man actually gave me his truck to drive to a town about 50 miles away to get some parts to fix my truck. He knew me all of about 10 minutes when this happened. Any of you going to give some guy your truck after you pull up to him along the rode?
    If I had to pick I'd have to say the rudest person I ever met in my life was a lady staying at the same hotel as we were in Gettysburg, PA. She was from New Jersey and I swear she was raised to be mean, kinda like some pitt bulls [:D]

• dennisjohnsondennisjohnson Member Posts: 471 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you guys are all right in ways...but i don't think we really need that kinda stuff drawing attention to the sport.non hunters think of us all in this way anyhow.but, it's a freedom for that dude to proudly display his "redneck-ness".[:D]

dennis
    edited November -1
    I agree with you both

Buckeyboy, since you mentioned the deer on the hood, did you guys see that jeep comercial before it got pulled off TV? I only heard about it but I guess it was making fun of hunters BIG time. Jeep pulled the commercial because they got a ton of negative responses about it as soon as it aired a few months back.

Ben, my old lady tells me all the time I'm a red neck, but whenever she goes with me to the camper in WV her mouth really drops.[:D] I have to admit two things about red necks. I was once in a very backwoods town in SC, lost and looking for a lake we planned on catfishing at. When we went into a garage/house (we weren't exactly sure)for directions I was actually scared. There were three of us, all grown men, and I was scared.
    The other is that I have met some people that would be considered the picture defination of Hick/Redneck and they were the nicest people. One man actually gave me his truck to drive to a town about 50 miles away to get some parts to fix my truck. He knew me all of about 10 minutes when this happened. Any of you going to give some guy your truck after you pull up to him along the rode?
    If I had to pick I'd have to say the rudest person I ever met in my life was a lady staying at the same hotel as we were in Gettysburg, PA. She was from New Jersey and I swear she was raised to be mean, kinda like some pitt bulls [:D]

[:D]"good topic Sus." I think everone has the right to their opinion and can display whatever they want it's their vechicle. unfortunatly anti hunters group all hunters together therfore they represent us.
    edited November -1
    You know what I need for my truck window? A PETA sticker, maybe something with a PETA person eating a big fat juicey tomatoe then in the back ground there would be a picture of animals dieing around him from dieses and starvation with a no hunting sign beside them...Now how about that??? [8D]

• mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    susp, Ya don't want to get a PETA sticker, they are hooked up with all those eco-terrorists. [xx(][:(!] not to mention occasionally one of them is arrested for disrupting hunters. They go out in the woods and run around during hunting season banging on pots and pans trying to disrupt the hunt. They drive a lot of deer that way.....

When I lived in Va beach, the head quarters for PETA was right next door in Norfolk, they had a big office on the elizabeth river, every spring the local radio station held a fishing tournament and bar-b-que right outside their office.

muss
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These guys sound like the type that hunt with spotlights, out of season, and tend to have a few beverages while doing it. I knew a guy like that once, he didn't think he was in the wrong because in his words, "he was putting food on the table for his family". I myself disagree, as a few have said it gives us a bad rep which we don't need anymore of that. Hey Suspension, when you were in that town in SC did ya hear duling(sp!) banjos in the background?[:D]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
    edited November -1
    muss, I know what PETA is and wouldn't support them in anyway. I was talking about that sticker to make fun of them and give them a bad name. I'm not about to stop eating meat! [^]

taco413, deliverance was the only thing in my head when we were getting those directions. [:I] so yes banjos were in the background. I can laugh about it now, but at the time...boy o boy, never want to go through that again.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    I knew a guy like that once, he didn't think he was in the wrong because in his words, "he was putting food on the table for his family". I myself disagree, as a few have said it gives us a bad rep which we don't need anymore of that.

Some people don't hunt for fun. I know of a place in So Ill where it is farm land w/ no towns over 2000 for about 300 square miles. They are all hard working farmers. The way they see it is that they feed the deer year around just the same as they feed their cattle. The deer eat a whole lot of crops. When shotgun season comes around they all have a bunch of land owner's permits. They go out and in one weekend each guy probably kills 2 or 3 deer. They do not obey all the game laws; however, they also do not waste any meat either. They really see very little thrill in hunting or in fair chase. To them it seems as if fair chase is a waste of time. Killing a big buck is not anything that really thrills them anyway. They just go out and get enough meat to fill their freezers. It is far from what I have been taught, but it is in line with my morals. I believe that they hunt for the right reasons.
    Ben
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys I live in the deep South. Down here in Mississippi most of the nation calls us all red necks. It takes all kinds of folks to make the world go around. Distastfull bumper stickers are not impressive to me and I do not condone them. There are good hunters and bad hunters in all states. Many men have fought and died so we could say and display what we wanted to, that is there right. With that said I think distastfull stickers only give the tree huggers more ammo to go after the people who truly love and respect our sport. It does not matter if you are a pure bow hunter, rifle hunter or use a muzzleloader as your choise of hunting tool we are all on the same side. We have to take the good with the bad and pray that some of the people that display the bostfull and distastfull stickers will come to there sences and remove them when they finally decied to grow up.

Hornet
    edited November -1
    hornet, after reading your message first off I want to say that I agree with your comments. Second, I wanted to make sure you didn't think I was pointing fingers at South Carolina or southern states in general. Just because those two happened to be from SC, I wouldn't do that. I know there are much worse things hapening around here in Ohio, or any state for that matter, other than a distasteful bumper sticker.

Mississippi huh, how about snakes? Do you run into a lot of snakes while hunting? I haven't hunted south of West Virginia, went to Kentucky once for a muzzleloader whitetail hunt, but never got to hunt. My muzzleloader, we discovered as we were unpacking in KY, was left in the case standing in the corner of my garage. [:D] It was a nice drive though. [:)]

edited November -1
    Ben, I understand what these guys do in So. Ill. I know a few that do it to. They never worry how big the rack is, just how much meat is there. Nothing is wasted and I actually know of one that let a big buck walk because he said it was his breeder. Wish I had that kind of fortitude[:D] I see big rack and i'm takin a shot.

edited November -1
    I actually know of one that let a big buck walk because he said it was his breeder.

That's true herd management. The bow hunting world thanks him.[:)]
    Ben
    edited November -1
    I let a nice 8 walk past me last year that was probably just 1- 1/12 yr old. Land I hunt on is private so hopin he'll get bigger.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    I knew a guy like that once, he didn't think he was in the wrong because in his words, "he was putting food on the table for his family". I myself disagree, as a few have said it gives us a bad rep which we don't need anymore of that.

Some people don't hunt for fun. I know of a place in So Ill where it is farm land w/ no towns over 2000 for about 300 square miles. They are all hard working farmers. The way they see it is that they feed the deer year around just the same as they feed their cattle. The deer eat a whole lot of crops. When shotgun season comes around they all have a bunch of land owner's permits. They go out and in one weekend each guy probably kills 2 or 3 deer. They do not obey all the game laws; however, they also do not waste any meat either. They really see very little thrill in hunting or in fair chase. To them it seems as if fair chase is a waste of time. Killing a big buck is not anything that really thrills them anyway. They just go out and get enough meat to fill their freezers. It is far from what I have been taught, but it is in line with my morals. I believe that they hunt for the right reasons.
    Ben
    [^] Ben, I think your right on with this. They may not follow the rules the rest of us have to but it's their land, They don't hunt for recreation as the rest of us do. They are truly hunting for the meat. when I was a boy I can rember my father throwing the racks away with the heads.Also you will never hear them brag or boast. in a way thet are the true sportsman.
    edited November -1
    I know a farmer that everytime he used to see a deer he would shoot it. He can't stand them so he shoots them and lets them lay. I have since got to hunt on his land so now he has stopped shooting them and leaves it up to me. I wonder how many farmers are like that? I understand they can tear up a corn field, but I think this is just wrong.

edited November -1
    I don't know any farmers like that. Most farmers I know are more concerned about rain or drought wiping out their entire crop rather than deer taking a couple hundred bushel of corn or beans each year.
    I've seen more damage done to crops by idiots in trucks or on 4-wheelers than I have seen deer do. Now turkeys can really tear stuff up, but still not as bad as we can.

edited November -1
    I so agree susp. We humans do more damage than any and all animals. I had coffee yesterday with a county sherriff and he told me about some guys having a meth lab in the middle of a corn field. Farmer jut happen to drive to the back of his property and noticed corn knocked down, so some guys and called the law. 5 got arrested for having a lab, and criminal tresspassing, along with destruction of property.

edited November -1
    I know a farmer that everytime he used to see a deer he would shoot it. He can't stand them so he shoots them and lets them lay. I have since got to hunt on his land so now he has stopped shooting them and leaves it up to me. I wonder how many farmers are like that? I understand they can tear up a corn field, but I think this is just wrong.

[:(!] There was a farmer in RI who used to just shoot them and let them die & rot. Some farmers see them as pest. I'm sure they are when they are eating crops.However he could at least donate the deer, call someone who wants it. Game dinner people. homeless, ect. I was brought up if you kill it you eat it. too bad some folks just don't get it. Kinda sad when ya think about all the time and effort we put in to get a deer. We treasure the moment, hand shakes, smiles, feeling of accomplishment, others see them as a pest. Most likely their parents brought them up that way and are just ignorant to doing the right thing. I truely think they believe their is nothing wrong with it. Thank god the majority are not like this.[:(][:(]
    edited November -1
    I so agree susp. We humans do more damage than any and all animals. I had coffee yesterday with a county sherriff and he told me about some guys having a meth lab in the middle of a corn field. Farmer jut happen to drive to the back of his property and noticed corn knocked down, so some guys and called the law. 5 got arrested for having a lab, and criminal tresspassing, along with destruction of property.

meth lab? Wow, I'd hate to stumble on them with a bow. Was that close to where you hunt?

edited November -1
    buckeyboy, I've shot to many oppossume, *, and ground hogs to live by your " if you kill it you eat it " saying. [:D]
    I have ate * and ground hog though, it ain't all that bad. My grandpa cooked a lot of things we didn't know what it was till we were done eating [xx(]

edited November -1
    Susp, it was about 10 miles from the property I hunt on. It is also private land that no one is supposed to be on except 1 guy that hunts it. He said it was like 500 yards from where he hunted last year.

• MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the sticker point I feel the same as you; it damages the image of a sport that doesn't have a very good one to begin with. The problem is that people think we go out in the forest and torture animals, and a picture of a guy stabbing a deer with an arrow enforces that idea quite a bit. The truth is that with correct shot placement the animal doesn't suffer any more, even less than farmed ones. (Jesus I sound like some BBC news guy[:(][:D])
    edited November -1
    Susp, it was about 10 miles from the property I hunt on. It is also private land that no one is supposed to be on except 1 guy that hunts it. He said it was like 500 yards from where he hunted last year.

[:0] I wouldn't want to hunt close to any smoked up looney toon dudes. To close for comfort for me. Good thing the sherriff caught them. To bad there's more where they came from [:(]

Martes, couldn't agree with you more. We butcher our own hogs sometimes and man that is cruel. I've never seen an animal suffer or sound worse than a hog bleeding out. Good point cause I never pictured it that way. Thanks news guy!![8D][;)]

edited November -1

[:0] I wouldn't want to hunt close to any smoked up looney toon dudes. To close for comfort for me. Good thing the sherriff caught them. To bad there's more where they came from [:(]

Martes, couldn't agree with you more. We butcher our own hogs sometimes and man that is cruel. I've never seen an animal suffer or sound worse than a hog bleeding out. Good point cause I never pictured it that way. Thanks news guy!![8D][;)][xx(]Sus I don't think I would be able too do that with the animal screeming like that. Can't ya shoot em in the head first or somthing. That is a bit crule don't ya think?

edited November -1
    That's my grandpa there, his only way is to hook a back leg, hoist them up in a tree or barn rafter then cut their throats so they bleed out. You think it sounds cruel, you should watch it. [:)]
    When he wasn't around for butchering we always put a .22 behind their ear, on cattle to, or sometimes in the hair swirl between a cows eyes.

edited November -1
    My worst memory from a farm is watching piglets being castrated[xx(], if any animal would scream like they did when I shoot them, I would stop hunting and start weaving baskets instead. This young woman used I tong to tear up their scrotum and ripped out their testicles and then she asked me if I wanted to have a go!!!?![xx(]
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suspension, I did not think you were pointing fingers at the South. There are good and bad hunters in all states. As far as snakes go we have bunches of them during bow season. Rattlers, cotton mouths, copper heads, pigmy rattlers, countless king snakes , rat snakes and corn snakes, black snakes and our little frind the green garden snakes. And just because it is January and every snake should be dened up you can find a big rattler sunning on a log. He won't be moving to quick but he is still there and if you get to close he will strike.
    Snakes are a fact of life down here, we just deal with them. In Mississippi and I do not know if it is like this everywhere, but it is aginst the law to kill a rattle snake unless the snake is threanting you. So you can draw your own conclusions as to what happens to them if one is seen in the woods.

Hornet
    edited November -1
    That's my grandpa there, his only way is to hook a back leg, hoist them up in a tree or barn rafter then cut their throats so they bleed out. You think it sounds cruel, you should watch it. [:)]
    When he wasn't around for butchering we always put a .22 behind their ear, on cattle to, or sometimes in the hair swirl between a cows eyes. [:(] No thanks man, I have a hard enough time when I hear a shot deer bawling, sometime makes me stop and ask if im doing the right thing. But the urge to hunt always seems to make me keep commin back for more. love to hunt hate to see anything suffer more than it has too makes me feel bad. think I'm a ice cream?

edited November -1
    Martes, you got my stomach turning with that description. I always hated holding calves while they were clamped. Always had to clamp them a few extra times just to make sure all was taken care of. Or snapping rubber bands on lambs, that always looked rather disturbing to. [:)]

hornet, I don't believe I could hunt much down south with all those snakes. Law or no law I'd get rid of them when I saw one, I might not be able to get close enough to kill one though. I get nervous walking through the snake rooms at zoos! [:I]

Buckeyboy, I think your a strawberry ice cream. Not sure what it means though....????? never called anyone an ice cream before[:o)]

edited November -1
    Martes, you got my stomach turning with that description. I always hated holding calves while they were clamped. Always had to clamp them a few extra times just to make sure all was taken care of. Or snapping rubber bands on lambs, that always looked rather disturbing to. [:)]

hornet, I don't believe I could hunt much down south with all those snakes. Law or no law I'd get rid of them when I saw one, I might not be able to get close enough to kill one though. I get nervous walking through the snake rooms at zoos! [:I]

Buckeyboy, I think your a strawberry ice cream. Not sure what it means though....????? never called anyone an ice cream before[:o)]

[:o)]I diden't use the word ice cream it was a word that meant woooose! The forum changed it. man those poor little piglets getting their balls riped out. Geeeeeeeeeeeeee[:0]
    edited November -1
    Oh okay. I sure was confused. [:I] I had never heard anyone call themself an ice cream before. [:D][:D]

this is tuna noodle signing out [;)]

edited November -1
    copy that tuna noodle, bleening bathtub hears you loud and clear.
    edited November -1
    Christ! I think they found the methlab![:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    copy that tuna noodle, bleening bathtub hears you loud and clear.
    [:0][:0][:0] Oh No! I think I hear banjos playing. You guy's are starting to scare me thought it might be fun to bump into you in the woods someday. Having second thoughts about that.[:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Bleening bathtub, methlabs, banjos! I'm not even gonna respond, might ruin my bad reputation. [;)]

edited November -1
    Bleening bathtub, methlabs, banjos! I'm not even gonna respond, might ruin my bad reputation. [;)]

[;)] Yea. I would be a little leary to respond too. if I were you. With a mane like Tuna Noodle... OH SUS too late on the reputation thing[}:)][}:)]
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][^]