.

Fishermanben's help needed

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
Dear Fisher,

Need some new line on my reals. I figure 8-10# on my smaller poles and 30-40# on my catfish poles. What kind of line is good this year? Last year I used Berkley and it's been great, this year I got a spool of Berkley 8# and it snaps with a slight jerk, seems like it sat on the shelf for a LONG time. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Kinda like a dear Abby column huh. [:D][;)]


NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    Dear Fisher,

    Need some new line on my reals. I figure 8-10# on my smaller poles and 30-40# on my catfish poles. What kind of line is good this year? Last year I used Berkley and it's been great, this year I got a spool of Berkley 8# and it snaps with a slight jerk, seems like it sat on the shelf for a LONG time. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Kinda like a dear Abby column huh. [:D][;)]


    NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    [:D] What the heck are ya trying to catch catfish with a pole for? Haven't ya seen the new video out wrestling for giant cats? these guys just swim down stick theur arm in the fishes mouth and wrestle them the surface. What kinda fisherman are you FISHING POLE &LINE??[;)][;)] I thought you were a real man??[:D][:D]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Kinda like a dear Abby column huh.

    Ahh, it feels good to be needed....

    For your cat poles. Cheap, strong, tough, and castable. May be the same line you had.

    http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0011464&navAction=push&navCount=1&indexId=cat600392&parentId=cat600392&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166

    Panfish 0r line up to 8lbs: This helps to catch the finicky ones. Strong, fine, invisible.

    http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0016022&navAction=push&navCount=1&indexId=cat600392&parentId=cat600392&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166

    Bass Line/High abrasion resistance: I've never used it on cats; but, it is a very high abrasion resistant line with very little line stretch. Hook sets are as solid as they come with a co-poly.

    http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/vertical-pod3.jhtml?id=0003198&navAction=push&navCount=8&indexId=cat600393&parentId=cat600393&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166

    Your other line rotted. It happens with mono. You should probably respool your mono at least twice a summer. A true expert would tell you to do it more frequently than that.

    I hope that helps. Ben
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    [these guys just swim down stick theur arm in the fishes mouth and wrestle them the surface. What kinda fisherman are you FISHING POLE &LINE??[;)][;)] I thought you were a real man??[:D][:D]


    I'm supposed to take my first hogging trip this summer. I'm not as scared as I should be.

    Ben
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    [these guys just swim down stick theur arm in the fishes mouth and wrestle them the surface. What kinda fisherman are you FISHING POLE &LINE??[;)][;)] I thought you were a real man??[:D][:D]


    I'm supposed to take my first hogging trip this summer. I'm not as scared as I should be.

    Ben
    [:0]you guys are nuts there is no way I'M sticken my arm in a 50 lb fishes mouth and see who maks it to the surface. [blue]Fishermenben Be AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID[B)][B)][/blue]
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Wow, what details! Thanks Ben!!!!! I'll see if they have that at the sporting shop down the rode or I'll order it from Cabelas tonight.
    Restring twice a summer huh? I "try" to do it once a year...[:I]

    Buckeyboy, I've seen where they catch those big cats like that, but we ain't never been able to. Caught plenty of snappers by poking around in the mud till you hear their backs thud then reaching in the hole and grabbing their tales and pulling them out. I usually need Mr. Budweiser's help with turtles though, just to get over my snake fear then I'm fine. [:D]

    NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    jctfish.jpg
    [:D]You guy's really are rednecks[:D][:D] I thought you were only kidding. Bet I would be in for some good pracital jokes if I were to come out that way.[:o)][:o)]
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Rednecks? What's wrong with that? [:D]

    Yeah, the new guys usually get a little joshin. My nephew had
    to eat a shad the first time he went fishing with us. Just
    cause everyone else had to do it when it was their first time.
    [;)]

    NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Had to eat a shad??? I hope you guys really had to eat one too, and you weren't just pulling his leg. That's pretty sick, I'd try it once, but that's sick. We have done something like that bowhunting. We've made the newbie eat raw liver on his first kill. Not really a long tradition, just an idea we got from "Dances With Wolves".
    Ben
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Ben where ya'll goin hoggin? I used to do it on skillet fork in Wayne County. Now to buckeyboy, better to grab ahold of a 50 lb flathead than shake hands with a big ole snappin turtle.

    Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Had to eat a shad??? I hope you guys really had to eat one too, and you weren't just pulling his leg. That's pretty sick, I'd try it once, but that's sick. We have done something like that bowhunting. We've made the newbie eat raw liver on his first kill. Not really a long tradition, just an idea we got from "Dances With Wolves".
    Ben

    Heck no, I never ate one. My buddy did for $10 one night though.
    Now raw liver, I'd have to say I'd rather ate the shad instead.
    Hope you never watched that movie natural born killers, we might be in trouble. [:0] [;)]

    NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eating the liver of the first deer you kill is a tradition in many places. If you ever go to Latvia to hunt red deer(they have remarkable specimens) you better hunt alone and say you didn't now about the tradition and already disposed of the liver, otherwise...[xx(]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    Heck no, I never ate one. My buddy did for $10 one night though.
    Now raw liver, I'd have to say I'd rather ate the shad instead.
    Hope you never watched that movie natural born killers, we might be in trouble. [:0] [;)]

    I'll take the liver over a shad any day. Now if we were talking about minnows, they aren't near as fishy, I think I could eat them like popcorn.

    Ben
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I don't know, I can't decide for sure but I think I'll stick with the shad instead. [;)]

    Hey captain thanks for the line info, I got the Trilene big
    game & iron silk 35# & 8#. I only got four poles done last night, need to finish the rest tonight after work. I believe I may
    have to set 20 or 30 drop lines this weekend and have a go at it.



    NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    Hey captain thanks for the line info, I got the Trilene big
    game & iron silk 35# & 8#. I only got four poles done last night, need to finish the rest tonight after work. I believe I may
    have to set 20 or 30 drop lines this weekend and have a go at it.


    Your very welcome susp. 20 or 30? whew. If you start catching fish you are going to have your work cut out for you.

    Ben
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Naw, we usually set 50 when there is three of us going. It only takes me an hour or hour and a half to run 30 lines as long as I have a boat driver along. Plus I only run the lines every 4 or 5 hours depending on how much bank pops in the cooler...[;)]

    NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do any of you flyfish browntrout? That's truly the fishing for kings!

    ps I'm not trying to say I'm a king.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Mr. King, [;)]

    Never fly fished for brown trout, I have fly fished some in PA
    Rainbow trout.

    NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
Sign In or Register to comment.