In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hunting stabilizers

MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
My old stabilizer broke, so I need help choosing a new one. What would be a good one?

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Martes
    My old stabilizer broke, so I need help choosing a new one. What would be a good one?
    Martes I shoot the mathews SQ and removed the stabilizer and have seen no difference at all. Do you think you really need one??[?]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Buckey, I have questioned stabilizers for a while. I believe to have a great effect a stabilizer would have to be at least 18in long with the weight concentrated on the end. Moreover, I believe a stabilizer should fork so that it would stabilize both elevation and cant. I do not understand the purpose of adding weight so close to the grip of the bow. I do believe that a shock absorbing stabilizer does make a bow a WHOLE LOT more quiet.

Ben
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Buckey, I have questioned stabilizers for a while. I believe to have a great effect a stabilizer would have to be at least 18in long with the weight concentrated on the end. Moreover, I believe a stabilizer should fork so that it would stabilize both elevation and cant. I do not understand the purpose of adding weight so close to the grip of the bow. I do believe that a shock absorbing stabilizer does make a bow a WHOLE LOT more quiet.

Ben
    Ben, I agree by the time te staibilizer could react the arrow is long gone,as far as shock goes they do absorb a minimal ammount of sound. My personal opinion is some folks use them to get better center balance on the bow. Is it worth the extra weight? not for me. I saw no difference whasoever. Hey martes you can have mine if you want. I'm not kidding[8D][8D] IT MAY COST MORE TO SHIP THAN WHAT IT'S WORTH[:0]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've done away with my stabilizer, I just have a Limbsaver shock absorber on mine. In fact I think at one time or another i've had every Limbsaver product on my bow.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well my bow's a bit top heavy without it, and a lot louder(had a carbofast hydralic stabilizer), but i shoot as good without it as with it. Haven't shot a single arrow now in two weeks do to my injured shoulder, getting slightly pissed off.[:(!]