In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Too Early??

buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
I started doing some scouting and hung a couple of stands last week. Do you guys think it's too early I usually wait till mid Sept.[?]

Comments

• MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's my opinion that it's never to early to do some scouting.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    the deer in my area do the same thing every year so I leave the stands in the tree all year and move them if needed I also have a few emergency deer crossing stands that i have on reserve

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like zilla the deer pretty much do the same thing every year where I hunt. Course 1 reason could be I have 2 food plots so I leave my stands year around and use my climber if I decide to move any.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I feel this time of year is the best time to scout. Don't scare them as much, no pressure and you can get a pattern laid out for yourself. Once you hit Sept more people are in the woods, the deer are feeling the pressure and slowly start to move to areas with less activity.
    I scout now then do one or two quick checks to make sure they are still doing the same movements closer to the season opener.
    Plus I plant food plots and hunt trails that the deer seem to use year after year or the same rub areas where two bucks territories are close to one another.
    darn I feel like a buckmaster after typing that..[:D][:D][:p]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Hey Sus, Speaking of keeping your eye open, hows "he" doing? still showing up. [;)]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    It's never too early. ahhh the feel of hot salty sweat on mosquito bites the size of nickles. i'm jealous. Seriously though, I like to go out and look after a WHOLE LOT of rain. It makes it easier to see the fresh sign.

Ben
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Hey Sus, Speaking of keeping your eye open, hows "he" doing? still showing up. [;)]

Not as often as he was before. The last three times I went I never saw him. I talked to a farmer down there that leases land around where I have been going to "sit" [;)] he knew why I was there, he said he had seen him there all last year. He also said that area was really bad for poachers and wished me luck. It makes sense cause the rode must be 10 or 12 miles long and I think there is only one house that people actually live in all the time. We'll see..
    Good vacation?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent