In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wildest thing you have seen bowhunting

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
What is the wild/craziest thing you have seen or had happen while bowhunting?

Mine would have to be a guy around my stand searching for BIGFOOT sign[:D][:D] He even told me a house down the rode had bigfoot throwing rocks at them a few days before I saw him searching for sign. He guessed Bigfoot took another route and never ventured in the hollow I was hunting in. Sure took a load off my mind. [:D][:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    One time I was hunting Shawnee in a steady downpour(it was supposed to clear up by evening), and a 90-100ft pin oak just fell over about 45 yards out in front of me. It was a monster, and it made one helluva loud crash.

Another time, I had a squirrel that would leave his nest at daybreak every morning and just take off through the woods. He was a squirrel on a mission. I was hunting a very large holler in the Shawnee National Forrest, and I could see him go further and further, never stopping, until he was out of sight of binoculars. During my evening hunt he would always come back, just truckin' through the woods, with the biggest mouthful of leaves you've ever seen a squirrel carry in your life, I'm talking softball size. He'd take the leaves up to his nest, then eat acorns the rest of the evening. I have no idea what was so damn special about those leaves, but he sure did take a long journey to get them, and he did it every day I hunted that tree for almost a whole week.

Yet another time, I was squirrel hunting in September. I looked up right as a 2 great horned owls(mom & chick) flew into a branch about 35 yards in front of me. They paused for about 1 minute and then suddenly the mom dove down towards me and hit the ground like a rock about 10 yards in front of me. The thump of her pounding into the ground was followed by about 45 seconds of violent squealing, as an unsuspecting rabbit was ripped to pieces. The baby flew down and they shared the feast for about 5 minutes before flying off. I had not even noticed that bunny.

Not really wild or crazy, but that's the stuff I live for. I got to get into a tree soon. I'm feining.

Ben
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I had a hawk whizz by my stand last year and dive bomb a chipmunk scared the hell out of me

"There's been streetfights, blue lights...Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest...It just showed me how much I could take...Hard times, bad luck...Sometimes, life sucks...That's all right, I'm ok...It ain't nothin' but another day..."
    -M.G-
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was bowhuntin last Nov. and had an owl decide he wanted to let me know he was right above me. Almost fell outta my stand he was so loud. 2 years ago had a squirrel set on my boot and eat a nut, til I flicked him into the air[:D]. 1 more,last year I had a lil bity bird(I think it was a titmouse) sit on my arrow and argue with one of his buds that was in the next tree. My brother had a young couple walk through the woods, shortly there after he watched her bend over a fallin tree. Rest i'll leave to ya'lls emagination[:D][:D]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I'd have to say taco413's brother has the prize so far! [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    One of the few times he didn't carry his camcorder with him to the woods. That would have been some great stuff to sit around a camp fire and talk about.

edited November -1
    Yeah, forget 140 class deer. I'd rather have a 36D class anyday.
    Ben(in search of the elusive Split-Tail).[:D]
    I wonder if this will get moderated?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

[:0][:0][:I], can't believe you said elusive split-tail [:D][:D]

How many of you carry camera's or cam corders while hunting? I sometimes carry my camera, but it's to loud unless they are 30 or more yards away. I just got the fiancee a digital camera on Monday, for her birthday in July. It was a 5 pixel or whatever, made by Olimpus (spelling?). Looked like a pretty nice one for taking deer pictures. [^][8D]

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

[:0][:0][:I], can't believe you said elusive split-tail [:D][:D]

How many of you carry camera's or cam corders while hunting? I sometimes carry my camera, but it's to loud unless they are 30 or more yards away. I just got the fiancee a digital camera on Monday, for her birthday in July. It was a 5 pixel or whatever, made by Olimpus (spelling?). Looked like a pretty nice one for taking deer pictures. [^][8D]

[8D] I know a bunch of guys who I saw shooting at ghost deer[8D][8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:i]Originally posted by buckeyboy[/i]
    I know a bunch of guys who I saw shooting at ghost deer[8D][8D]

Who [?]

edited November -1
    I've never shot a ghost deer; however, I do believe that some of the arrows I've shot have vanished into some kind of 4th dimension.

Ben
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    quote:i]Originally posted by buckeyboy[/i]
    I know a bunch of guys who I saw shooting at ghost deer[8D][8D]

Who [?]

[}:)]I even know one guy named suspension who claims he shot one but coulden't find it cause it was invisible.[8D][8D]
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yees, the 4th dimension, I've had that happen to me. I believe it has something to do with the arrow hitting a spot of "heavy air" at terminal velocity and getting deflected through space and time.[8)]
    edited November -1
    Invisible deer is where suspension needs those luminocs, unless he blows through the deer[:D][:D][8D]

• s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Several close encounters while Bow Hunting,but 2 stick out in my memory.One was a Squirrel that kept peeking around a tree to examine my Broadhead and I kept trying to stick him from about 2 inches distance.Several times this happened but he was so quick I never touched him.

Another was an Owl that glided in and picked up a Chipmonk that was running up and down a log about 30 ft in front of me.This Owl had a wingspan of maybe six Ft.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 years ago I was bowhunting-November 14th, the last day of bow season, the day before rifle season. It was snowing and I was sitting on a ground stand. Half hour later, a doe is standing about 30 yards away. She is acting kinda weird. Then I see why-A buck was following her, sniffing at her underside. He then mounts her, and goes at it for about a minute, and stops. She walks ten yards, he mounts her again. Stops, walks ten yards mounts her again. They make their way to a shooting lane, and she stops right in the lane. I am waiting for the buck to mount her again, so I can shoot him while he is going at it-doesnt happen, she moves out of the lane, and then he mounts her. The routine went on for about a half hour-never got a shot. I should have shot the doe.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    2 years ago I was bowhunting-November 14th, the last day of bow season, the day before rifle season. It was snowing and I was sitting on a ground stand. Half hour later, a doe is standing about 30 yards away. She is acting kinda weird. Then I see why-A buck was following her, sniffing at her underside. He then mounts her, and goes at it for about a minute, and stops. She walks ten yards, he mounts her again. Stops, walks ten yards mounts her again. They make their way to a shooting lane, and she stops right in the lane. I am waiting for the buck to mount her again, so I can shoot him while he is going at it-doesnt happen, she moves out of the lane, and then he mounts her. The routine went on for about a half hour-never got a shot. I should have shot the doe.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    [:0]I did not see it myself and my boss swears it's true he saw a guy bowhunting in a blue leisure suit with platfom shoes on?? I would have paid good money to see that.
    edited November -1
    Pimps huntin[:D][:D] What's the world comin to!!!!!!! Musta been one of those split tail hunters[:D]

• Benn44Benn44 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was target shooting at our club range, which bordered a state camping area by a lake. Target # 6 was a treestand platform and upon walking up to the stairs to climb up, a young man and girl jumped up from under the stairs; both were in their birthday suits. Naturally, I excused myself and said "I'll just go on to the next target." I did just that but couldn't help but look back...the tall grass was moving pretty fast again and the wind wasn't blowing............[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Benn44
    I was target shooting at our club range, which bordered a state camping area by a lake. Target # 6 was a treestand platform and upon walking up to the stairs to climb up, a young man and girl jumped up from under the stairs; both were in their birthday suits. Naturally, I excused myself and said "I'll just go on to the next target." I did just that but couldn't help but look back...the tall grass was moving pretty fast again and the wind wasn't blowing............[;)]
    [}:)][}:)]Welcome Benn. Some guys have all the luck[8D][8D] I would have told them that missing one target would screw up my score. thats worth 10 minuits with her[}:)][}:)] don't know ya that well so
    [:0] Or him[;)][;)]
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My hunting experiences, like much of my life, are dull and uneventful. The wildest thing I ever saw while bow hunting was when a whitetail buck came out, just out of my shooting range, and I almost laughed out loud when he lifted his leg and peed on a tree, just like a dog. I never saw a deer do that before, so for me, it was pretty amusing.
  • tetoncountytetoncounty Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    several years ago I was in the southern Washakie Wilderness scouting for a sheep permit I had drawn. Just below treeline I encountered an albino red squirrel: snow white, pink eyes. I settled down to watch him for about an hour. Of course I wasn't carrying a camera.
    edited November -1
    teton, I can get you a picture of Albino Greys. I hunt in the land of White Squirells. I'm not kidding. Owls and Hawks reak havoc on them. But, they survive around residences. My grand parents probably have about 10 in their yard.

Ben
    edited November -1
    Olney, Illinois. Home of the white squirrels. I saw a black one last year in southern Il.

edited November -1
    tetoncounty, would that be a short way of saying Mills, WY area? I hear the Elk and Antelope hunts are far better there than anywhere
    else out west...Is this true or was I being joshed around a bit?

• ihunt49ihunt49 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's one for you.....I was hunting several years ago in the Delaware National Recreation Area in PA. when a small group of deer started working their way to me. I noticed a dirty white one among them. As they got closer and out into the open hardwoods I realized it wasn't a deer, but a GOAT !!!

Of course I didn't have my camera, but talked to the Warden 2 days later and told him what I saw and he said somebody shot it the day before. Weirdest thing I ever saw !!!

If you don't have fun, it's your own fault.
    edited November -1
    welcome aboard ihunt49!!

A friend of mine was checking in a deer one year when a couple so called hunters came in all excited ready to tag in their "buck". Kevin said he about lost when he walked out to leave and the check in person dropped their tailgate down. There laid a billy goat gutted and all.... [:0]
    Kinda makes you wonder what type of people are hunting around you huh.

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    taco413 come to mahomet Il. there are black squirrels everywhere!
  • texashntrtexashntr Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    a billy goat story. my mom used to work for the jackson county sheriffs dept, in black river falls wi. well some hunter from chicago came up to deer hunt. when they got to the registration station, here they had a farmers goat streched out on the top of there station wagon. well the officer processed the license, and let them get on there way. well about madison wi, every cop had heard about these idots from the city who had shot a goat, well finally a state boy felt sorry for them, and pulled them over to tell them. well they had the nerve to drive back to the registration station, and demand there money back.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by texashntr
    a billy goat story. my mom used to work for the jackson county sheriffs dept, in black river falls wi. well some hunter from chicago came up to deer hunt. when they got to the registration station, here they had a farmers goat streched out on the top of there station wagon. well the officer processed the license, and let them get on there way. well about madison wi, every cop had heard about these idots from the city who had shot a goat, well finally a state boy felt sorry for them, and pulled them over to tell them. well they had the nerve to drive back to the registration station, and demand there money back.

Now that is hysterical!!!

-Jimmy the cheese man