In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

recurve bow

JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
I have hunted 20 plus years with a compound bow. I picked up a recurve the other day and and shot it a few times and it was a real pleasure to shoot. I deceided to buy a used Bear recurve to shoot. I am looking at a tackedown recurve that is 60" long and 60# draw weight. The price is right and I have always shot 80# draw weight compound bows at 65% let off. Is this to much bow to learn with?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody familiar with a black widow recurve or what it might be worth?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I HAVE A BROWNING NOMAD 1 RECURVE IF I HAD TO SAY IT IS ALMOST PERFECT EXCEPT THE STRING. WHAT WOULD BE THE VALUE OF THIS BOW? THE SERIAL # IS 7E6834 IT IS 44# 54" AND BELOW ALL THAT IS A I. ALSO I HAVE TWO PSE COMPOUND BOWS BOTH ARE AT LEAST 12 YEARS OLD. ONE POLARIS AND ONE VULCAN. WOULD ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT HOW MUCH THESE ARE WORTH.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would like to find a short recurve bow with around a #50 pull. I would prefer it to be fiberglass. I have not shot in around fifteen years and really have no ideal where to buy a bow.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    http://www.blackwidowbows.com/

This might help you some.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I know they're expensive.

Ben
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Always considered a fine quality bow about 35 years ago.Didn't know they were still manufactured.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black widow bows are custom made for each person who buys one new. They are quite expensive but from my understanding one of the best recurve bows on the market. Back when I was looking for a recurve bow I checked on a black widow. A fellow I know had one made for him. He was sent a piece of some type of soft materal to squeze in his hand so they could make the grip on the bow to fit his hand. It seems that the price on the bow I was looking at was around $600.00 or more and a 3-6 monthes time frame to take delivery. This was a few years ago and I decied that it was to much for a bow to learn to shoot with. I ended up with a Ben Person Javelina. I am well sastisfied with it and If I were to switch to a recurve I would get serious about shooting it.

Hornet
  • Options
    pacyewpacyew Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are pretty fine shooting bows - I'd certainly suggest checking one out.

Ken Beck, the manager of Black Widow is one heck of a guy. Contributes regularly to bowhunting causes, builds top drawer bows and is a hard-core veteran bowhunter himself.

Plus - a person simply cannot own too many great bows.

Jay
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pacyew

Plus - a person simply cannot own too many great bows.

Jay, it's very interesting that you say that. I have always believed that you should taylor bows for specific hunting. At the very least, if you bow hunt frequently, you should have a small game and a big game set-up. I find it interesting that many guys will own a gun for every possible shot on any animal between 1 and 2000 pounds, but only own one bow that they hunt everything with.

Ben

P.S. Welcome to the forum, please stick around.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Ben, no worries! I'll stick around. [8D][8D] Oops, not this Jay
    huh. [:I][:D]

I am a perfect example for your statement Ben. I have guns, but
    only one bow. Never thought about it before, but what you said
    makes sense.
    How many people on here hunt small game with there bows? I don't
    that much and when I do I am mainly tinkering to have something to
    do. My neighbor makes his own recurves from wood he cuts and now he
    has been making his own broad heads. He's killed whitetail and Elk
    with his own recurve, but hasn't tried any elk with his own broadhead.
    That's a bit extreme for me, I don't think I would enjoy building
    a bow to hunt with. How about you guys?

pacyew, welcome. hope to see you around more.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You'll find that you'll shoot your best when you become very familiar with just one bow. The bow kind of disappears and it begins to feel like it is just you - sending arrows toward your mark.

Now - you can get a feeling of going a little stale shooting the same old bow. It's boredom. Your concentration falls of and with it your results. In this case shooting a bit with another stick can be like hitting your shooting reset button.

Plus - to repeat - there's no such thing as too many nice bows.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I missed one-

A fellow can tailor a bow outfit to a specific, such as a lighter draw weight bow for a day-long gopher shoot or the heavy draw, super heavy arrow outfits used by some for the heaviest game.

But - by simply switching arrows and tips, a single recurve bow can be made to do for most everything. Most fellas find that through practice they can shoot a 50#-55# pretty easily. With that they can hunt any deer and still use if for a days shooting at small game or targets. When you change your use - changing your arrows does it all.
  • Options
    MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt quite a lot of small-game, (because of the fu*ked up hunting laws in Finland!![:(!]) and I must admit my 70# compound is somewhat of an overkill at times, but then again it's not the same as shooting a squirrel with a 375 weatherby mag, don't you agree?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sure enough. Bows of all kinds are a challenge to hunt with.

And I've found that with a .375 you don't have to actually hit the squirrel, just put it in the general vicinity.

Jay