In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beginner seeking advice

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
I have the chance to buy a Fred Bear (LH, I'm left handed) normally sold for 399.00 at Dicks for 289.00 it seems to fit well, is this too much bow for a rank amateur?
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a fred bear bow, had it only a few hours lol shot like 10 arrows, seems nice.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    the only bad thing bad about buying a bow at dicks compared to a pro shop is who is going to set the bow up for u
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    a good traditional bow will hold its value pretty well. The best compound bow is like buying a new car.

Ben
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    I have the chance to buy a Fred Bear (LH, I'm left handed) normally sold for 399.00 at Dicks for 289.00 it seems to fit well, is this too much bow for a rank amateur?

Nope. You'll become addicted and spend more later anyway.[:D]
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    the only bad thing bad about buying a bow at dicks compared to a pro shop is who is going to set the bow up for u

Good point, you may try going to a pro shop gander mountain ect. to buy accessories for it then I'm sure they wount mind helping you set it up. BTW pratice a lot, a whole lot. It's fun.[8D]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    what model is it the fred bear trx 36" axle to axle. because there is a big price difference in different models/
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really want to feel good, set it up yourself. You might understand it better if you do your own work, and you'll be able to adjust it yourself as it wears in or if something loosens up. It's not hard to do.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:grizzclaw Posted - 02/09/2007 : 1:29:17 PM
    If you really want to feel good, set it up yourself. You might understand it better if you do your own work, and you'll be able to adjust it yourself as it wears in or if something loosens up. It's not hard to do.

This is a good idea if you are pretty mechanically inclined. But there should be a warning.... If your bow isn't set up fairly accurate, it could lead to problems with your accuracy and cause undue frustration. I like the pro shop idea myself. You may ask if you can watch them set it up and ask questions as they do so you can see what may come loose or need tightening up down the road. We'll be more than happy to help if you have any other questions. Welcome to the nut house!
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Send me a email I'll give you a very good deal on a loaded LH PSE Polaris Express.[;)]
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I just got a Fred Bear for my first bow. Shot 4 different kinds at Cabelas and liked it the best.