In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The DUH heard round the world

American_NimrodAmerican_Nimrod Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
As posted by NUGE at TNUSA.COM forum...

quote:Bowhunting Recognized as Key for Urban Deer Control Strategy- (02/20)
National
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reports nationwide, deer collisions with cars cause $1.1 billion in vehicle damage annually. These accidents kill 150 people and injure 29,000 others. The national average car insurance claim for a deer collision is $2,800. Statistics like these have led many towns to seek a safe way to decrease deer herds, and allowed bowhunting to find its niche.
Earlier this month, USA Today highlighted several towns that have kicked off bowhunts, including the following:

Fort Smith and Barling, Arkansas lifted hunting bans and established a bowhunt in a 7,200-acre area that lies in both towns. The hunt was instituted when factors indicated that the overabundant deer herd might starve. It will also help reduce the risk of the animals roaming into the area as it fills with new homes and businesses.

Two public parks in Kansas City, Missouri held pilot bowhunts in 2006. Forty-one deer were taken from late November to Dec. 10. The City Council authorized the hunts after learning that at least 400 deer per year were hit by vehicles within the city.

Bowhunters in Warsaw, Indiana took 20 deer during a three week archery season in November. Councilman Jeff Grose said, "We felt the residents in that area had a legitimate argument to declare the deer population as a nuisance."

After reports of deer killing pets, damaging property and being the cause of multiple automobile accidents, Alamosa, Colorado will allow hunting with bows and shotguns on a city-owned golf course until Feb. 28.

Suburbs of Des Moines, St. Louis, Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, have also staged bow hunts or are considering doing so.

"Bowhunting is a safe and effective deer control," said U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance President Bud Pidgeon. "The anti-hunters try to pressure many local governments to use costly, ineffective methods such as deer birth control, but it's the bowhunt that proves worthwhile."

Information on this website can be reprinted with a citation to the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance and www.ussportsmen.org

Comments

• Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deer birth control? How's that work? Maybe I don't wanna know. [:o)]
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read something about the deer birth control but I can't remember where. It was a medication that would keep the does from being able to breed. As I recall, it was being tested and the length of it being effective wasn't clear. One thing I do remember though was that the drugs were so strong and effects unknown women were not allowed to handle the drugs in the chance it could do the same to them.

I can hear the argument from the anti-hunters now, "why do we need to hunt and kill them when we can just keep them from breeding?"[:(!]
  • Options
    Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talk about ruining the rut. Can you imagine no does in esterus????
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Nimrod,[:D] I remember reading this a while back. I hope Illinois loosens up on it public land requirements.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    What are the bucks going to do if there are no does to breed. They will be running around going crazy. Just don't bend over out in the woods. [:D]
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    After reports of deer killing pets

I want to see that some poor buck cant find a doe and mounts a dog
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I have an article on my bulliten board here from sportsmens alliance date 2004 and the deer birth control was not cost effective. "Average cost was $2,943 per deer". It also states that "aside from the cost some just don't work. Connecticut, Minnesota and Ohio all reported excalating deer numbers in targeted areas". Another concern was the "safety of the drug, regardless of effectiveness the FDA had not approved them for human consumption and there have been no findings to ensure other wildlife species are not adversely affected".

Now this was 3 years ago. Some things could have changed.