In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

targets

r1racingr1racing Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
What do you guys/gals suggest for home made targets?

Comments

• Options
    r1racingr1racing Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any ideas on inexpensive or homemade targets.Was thinking a bale of compressed peat moss might work and when done throw it in garden
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One that is really cheap and works well is a 2X8" wood frame about 3'X3' with carpet on both faces and rags inside. My dad shoots every day, all year long on one of these targets made out of scraps.

Otherwise I have shot a bag style target that was an old feed bag with plastic bug screen inside it, or another one was filled with plastic shopping bags. Both worked well when hung from a tree.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    If its feild tips your shooting Just stuff some old rags real tight in a berlap sack, paint a spot on it super easy to remove arrows. OH dont try a broadhed you wont be able to pull it out...
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    If its feild tips your shooting Just stuff some old rags real tight in a berlap sack, paint a spot on it super easy to remove arrows. OH dont try a broadhed you wont be able to pull it out...

I learned that one the hard way. Did you?[:D]
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have put plastic chemical bags and paper seed bags in a box. It works well for field tips. Some of my dads arrows have a larger diameter tip, and get caught up on the paper bags. So, we took them out and put the plastic wrap from around some seed pallets. Success, best home made target! Its nice, stops them and lets you pull them out.
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    I use straw bales ..about four covers a pretty good area and hang paper targets on them...just for field points..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Straw bales will not stop arrows from most of today's high performance bows. They are far too loose. Just ask the door of my neighbor's house. He tried it, not me... [:D]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    He must not have very tight bales. I use bales behind my target incase I'm to drunk to hit it[:D]. it will stop them.[;)]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

I learned that one the hard way. Did you?[:D]
    YEP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    He must not have very tight bales. I use bales behind my target incase I'm to drunk to hit it[:D]. it will stop them.[;)]

After he told me about it I shot one in the end. Almost a foot of shaft stuck out the far end of the bale. They were not the best bales, but I have seen worse. I prefer to use a more reliable stop for my arrows.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can push the broadhead through then unscrew it and pull the arrow out.[:D]