In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

broadhead ?

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
So if a 125 g broadhead shoots lower than a 125 g field tip,would a 100g expandable shoot about the same as a 125 fieldtip? I ask this because I got three free expandables but have my bow sighted in for 125g field tips and I don't want to waste any of the expandables to feild test. Any input?

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    So if a 125 g broadhead shoots lower than a 125 g field tip,would a 100g expandable shoot about the same as a 125 fieldtip? I ask this because I got three free expandables but have my bow sighted in for 125g field tips and I don't want to waste any of the expandables to feild test. Any input?

Shouldn't. Just go get some 100 gr FT. They should be cheap.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

Shouldn't. Just go get some 100 gr FT. They should be cheap.

Ditto..........
  • Options
    jagjag Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    who said 125 bh will shoot lower than 125 gr. ft? why?

• Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alot of broadheads shoot a little different than field tips. I even had to do a little adjusting when I shot the Montecs. Don't let em fool you either, mechanicals sometimes fly different than fieldtips. That's why it's best to shoot them before heading to the woods.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This a very interesting subject. The first thing to realize is that weight is not the only determining factor in how an arrow flys. Many things effect the flight like areodynamics, wind, rain, distance, etc. Field points are usually more consistant because they dont have a ton of wing like surface like broadheads do. Distance is more of a concern. The longer the shot the higher the chance a broadhead will drift off course. For expandables the type of expandable broadhead used will determine the drift rate. If its got fixed blades & expandable cutting blades then usually they drift about as bad as lets say a muzzy chisel point would. I think that if you keep your shots within a reasonable distance you will be ok. I do advise you to test fire any broadhead your planning on using for hunting. The last thing you want to do is wound or miss something because you didnt want to test the broadheads.
  • Options
    STICKFLINGERSTICKFLINGER Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot 125gr. THDS for over 20 years. Every year I would re-sight my bow for broadheads. No matter which bow,fletching or arrow I shot the THDS would hit low and to the right. I tested several broadheads and I found one that hits EXACTLY!!!! like field points. The SONIC by american broadhead company. I shoot the 125gr. out of a custom martin @ 88lbs. with a 31" 550gr. carbon express terminator. These things are amazing. Plus you can buy practice blades too. Same blade only no edge. Give them a try, You'll have the same problem I have, What do I do with all my thunderheads ??????
  • Options
    jagjag Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, I'll stir this up a bit. I'm sure I'll catch some grief! Almost always, the culprit in bh's having different poi than fp's, is the bow is not perfectly tuned. It may be close, but not exact. This is already assuming your not contacting fletching on release, you have correctly spined arrows, form is good, correct draw length(not hitting sleeve, etc), fletching is sufficiant for bh control, etc. Lots of people won't take the time or have the knowledge to fine tune to get bh's and fp's to fly the same but it can almost always be done. This is a main reason for the popularity of expandables....one other thing on spine, I recently was amazed on how just turning the nock 120 degrees at a time can affect poi. This is due to a "seam" in most(not all) carbon arrows. cx quotes "360 degree spine consistancy", in some of their arrows, not sure what other manufactorers do....
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jag
    the culprit in bh's having different poi than fp's, is the bow is not perfectly tuned.

no grief from me, cause that is the truth. Easton tuning guide has been a life saver for me and I have learned lots of things about both my bows.
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jag's right. I'd rather re-sight my bow than keep tuning till it's perfect.