In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hoyt vs mathews

headboyheadboy Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
I bought (a year ago) a hoyt vipertec that I killed a bear with it in June. Nice bow but might be a little heavy?? I have been thinking about a Mathews because they appear lighter?? If we can get beyond the Mathews/Hoyt war, I would really like to know what experienced opinion would tell me to stick with what I have or switch to the Mathews. Money is no object and I will be hunting bear again this fall. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even though I wonder if you are one of our regulars posting under a new name, I'll respond.

On here you'll find as many opinions on Hoyt v. mathews and Ford v. Chevy. Who cares what WE think? Go to your local shop and shoot a mathews and go from there. Sorry if this seems harsh but we can't tell you what bow you will like or be able to shoot better. What is it about the Hoyt that is making you think of trading already???? Don't jump on the mathews bandwagon just because others have.

Oh, Hoyt's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than mathews![:D]
  • Options
    headboyheadboy Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like good advice. I will support my local shop and he has offered to allow me to shoot a Mathews and Trykon. Vipertec is fine but sometimes appears loud and feels heaver than the Mathews. I have not been on this forum since I went bear husting last Spring so I appreciate your post.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't bother with the Trykon. Shoot a Vectrix, or even Vulcan. They both have the new Vector cams which make them both far smoother than the Trykon. They are also lighter than the Trykon since that seems to be an issue for you. The Mathews is lighter than any of the Hoyts, but not by a lot. The Hoyt bows seem to balance better and have a slimmer grip than the Mathews.

My advice... go shoot all the new bows and make your selection from there. Both companies make good bows. Find the one that is best for you. I found the Vectrix to fit me the best.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll go with everyone else shot what works best for you.

But I'd get the Drenaline..[;)]
  • Options
    Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a new vipertec also and really love it, i also have a new turbotec and really like it. I am a Hoyt fan and would tell you to stick with the vipertec or check out the new bow by hoyt withe the parrallel limbs i think its called the vector. mathews are beatiful smooth shooting bows and they just come out with a more streamline version of the XT in any case you would be going from great to great so good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill

But I'd get the Drenaline..[;)]

You would...[:D]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Another one I think I would look into is the Bowtech Guardian. I saw that one at the classic this weekend and holy shmoly was that thing quiet. I have a Mathews XT and love it but like everyone else has said you need to go shoot several and see which feels the best for you. We can all give you our opinion and we do so gladly but we all no what opinions are like.[:D]
    Keep us updated on what you decide on.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill

No I'd shoot what best for someone else.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Another one I think I would look into is the Bowtech Guardian. I saw that one at the classic this weekend and holy shmoly was that thing quiet. I have a Mathews XT and love it but like everyone else has said you need to go shoot several and see which feels the best for you. We can all give you our opinion and we do so gladly but we all no what opinions are like.[:D]

I shot the guardian, and was very happy I bought the Vectrix! All I can say about the guardian is it is a brute. Very difficult draw cycle on the bow. The grip, hold, and shot all were tremendous, but the draw cycle was terrible. The bow I shot had the "speed mods" on it, but the speed was less than the Vectrix or Drenalin. The shop owner is hanging on to that one as a demo, claiming it will make him a lot of money selling Hoyt and Mathews.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

I shot the guardian, and was very happy I bought the Vectrix! All I can say about the guardian is it is a brute. Very difficult draw cycle on the bow. The grip, hold, and shot all were tremendous, but the draw cycle was terrible. The bow I shot had the "speed mods" on it, but the speed was less than the Vectrix or Drenalin. The shop owner is hanging on to that one as a demo, claiming it will make him a lot of money selling Hoyt and Mathews.

I didn't draw one, but watching the guy draw it looked like they needed to turn it down a bit. But no noise at all and Looked to have no shock. I mean all I could do was watch and see if it jumped but the appearence was that it didn't. I would like to try one for myself just to see.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot the new High Country Iron Mace, dayuum that thing is fast. Pretty quiet to for a speed freak bow, but draws real hard at the last 4 inches. I do agree with most of these guys that you need to try a few bows to see which is best for you.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    Hoyt BLOWS!

How the hell ya been gogo?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    Hoyt BLOWS!

Sure does... Blows everything else away![:D]

Oh and Bang
    The one I shot was at 62lbs. Same as the Drenalin and Vectrix I shot right beside it.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:taco413 Posted - 02/26/2007 : 8:03:35 PM

quote:
    Originally posted by gogolen

Hoyt BLOWS!

How the hell ya been gogo?

I've been doing pretty good the company I am working for now keeps me very busy. I had to skip my winter archery league this year as I am on assignement in Mexico until december. How have you been taco? I trust you has a succesful year?