In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new guy wanting to start bowhunting...

MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
im looking for ANY suggestions on what to look for.

i will need EVERYTHING to get started. im not partial to any brands, so if you could leave out your "home team brand" that would be cool.

it will be used most likely for only whitetail or possibly smaller game.

im not sure what my price range is, mostly `cause im not sure of how much things cost...or what exactly ill need.

on second thought about your fav. brand maybe if you could tell me what brand to stay far far away from (cause its junk) i would appreciate it!

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    im looking for ANY suggestions on what to look for.

i will need EVERYTHING to get started. im not partial to any brands, so if you could leave out your "home team brand" that would be cool.

it will be used most likely for only whitetail or possibly smaller game.

im not sure what my price range is, mostly `cause im not sure of how much things cost...or what exactly ill need.
    On this part below..stay away from Hoyt...[:D]
    on second thought about your fav. brand maybe if you could tell me what brand to stay far far away from (cause its junk) i would appreciate it!

thanks!

On to witch bow to get.. shot as many diff kinds,let the bow pick you.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a Hoyt. TO ME it's better than others on the market. I'd say go to a local shop and shoot different brands and see what fits you and feels good to you. That shop will also help set it up and get you started off on the right foot. Well be glad to help in any way we can and feel free to ask questions!

Stay long and post often![:D]
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing you may want to try, is to get a used bow to see if you like archery. You can learn a lot on a lower end, or older bow. Then after you know more about what you like get a top end, or newer bow. I gave this advice to a friend of mine from your area and he did just that. He shot an old bow for a year. Then after he learned what he liked and didn't like, he sold the old bow for what he paid for it and bought a new Bowtech Allegence. Like surekill said, let the bow pick you... That is what he did. Personally I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix. Great bow! Lots of my friends shoot Mathews, Reflex, Fred Bear, and others. It is hard to get a bad brand bow. Some will have failures, but that is an individual thing. When the time comes, buy the bow you like not the bow everyone else likes.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I did what dcso said. When I wanted to give it a try I bought a cheap, $150 for everything including hard case, bow. Sold it when I decided what I liked and didn't like and now I have more than $900 in my set up. Ok not quite that quickly there were a couple in between. I also agree with going to a shop and shooting several. They all have a different "feel" to them and you will want one that feels good to you. I really don't think there is a "bad" bow out now days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the replies. of course i want to start bowhunting...who doesnt want an extra 3 months in the woods [:D][:D][;)] id buy a used one, but they are so far in between that in my mind, its not worth the hassle of trying to find one. maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

the local shop around here only carries matthews and some other, i think it was PSE???? something like that.

i tried the switchback xt/d something along those lines...seemed pretty nice. but to shoot any other brands, i gotta drive 60 miles [V][:D]

at any rate, cant wait to get started! bang - $900 [:0] mind telling me on what you have that adds up to that amount??

are there any "must have" accessories?? ive heard good things about trophy ridge products??

ohh BTW - loved the pics you guys have posted from the deer "shootout" awesome...maybe ill have to join in next season [;)][:D]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Mathews Switchback XT, Whisker biscuit, Montana Black Gold Flashpoint, Vapor trail 5000, W/ blazer vanes and wraps, S-coil stabalizer, STS, I think thats it.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

at any rate, cant wait to get started! bang - $900 [:0] mind telling me on what you have that adds up to that amount??

One of my bows was around 700 complete and the other one was more than a grand.

My hunting bow is set up like this
    Hoyt Ultramag ~$450
    Copper John sight ~50, added .19 pins, ~20, sold the .29 pins for ~15
    Doinker stablizer ~45
    Easton axis arrows that I fletched and did all the work for ~100 or so, I am now on my 3rd dozen
    quiver ~20 (I should have spent more money here, I hate my quiver
    ~tru-ball release ~90
    ~sling ~10
    ~sims devices ~30
    ~trophy taker drop away~80 I did have a nap drop away, but kept breaking the slide for them, so I tide a string to the down cable and got fletching contact no matter what I did so I took it off.

Thats a grand total of 875 plus tax. My other bow is well above that price.

You can save money though on things like the release and rest. Most any top end bows are going to cost anywhere between 600 and 800. The problem with used bows is you don't know the condition they are in, what the string is like, if its been dry fired. Some bows for example hoyts, can be dry fired non stop and it won't hurt them. However, bows like bowtechs don't hold up to dry firing.

Besides shooting every bow that you can. The one thing I would recommend is a good hunting arrow. They hold up much better then lighter arrows. They may cost more, but its well worth it. The only reason I have went through 2 dozen arrows in 2 years is due to losing them shooting 3d. [B)]
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I have had quite a few used ones in the past. You might want to check out the BowTech TomKat. It is the one that I just bought. $550 complete with sights, Whisker Biscuit, and quiver. The quiver isn't much but I take it off in the tree anyway. The place I got it even included 6 carbon arrows with it. Good luck to you and welcome.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I have been bowhunting for about 22 years now (since I was 12) and if there is one thing that makes all the difference is that you are confident shooting the bow. Confidence comes from different things, but I will highlight the most important 2. 1st is lots of practice. It is not like gun hunting where you can pull your gun out a week before the season and make sure it is sighted in by taking a couple of shots at the range. Shooting a bow is about muscle memory. To get that takes lots of practice. This leads me to #2: Find a bow that feels comfortable in your hand. If the bow feels awkward, you will concentrate on that when you are shooting and not the important things like sight picture and release. Also, I have had situations in the woods where I have been at full draw for up to 5 minutes. The last thing you want is for your hand to start to cramp up because you are holding the bow weird so that it "feels" right. Don't buy into the hype that speed is everything. I hunted for years with a recurve that had an arrow trajectory similar to the St. Louis Arch. It killed deer though. Speed is great if you are out west shooting 60 yards at an Elk. The woods of MN are pretty tight though, so most of your shooting will take place between 1-20 yards. Any of the "Hunting" model bows from any of the major manufacturers out there will suit you for starting out.
    This is just my 2 cents though.
    BTW, where in MN are you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for all the GREAT replies. much appreciated

handgun - i live north/north west of st cloud about 60 miles. you??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I grew up down by Mankato bowhunting the Minnesota river valley. Big St. Cloud St. hockey fan!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I currently live in Atlanta, GA.
    There is a Gander Mountain in St. Cloud if I remember correctly. This would be a good place to at least pick up a bunch of different bows to see how they feel. Also talk to the guys that work there (or anyone else hanging around the bow section) and you will find that most archery guys are always willing to help out and get someone else into the sport.
    You could also make the trip to Cabelas in Grand Forks or Rogers, MN (by the Cities). I realize that it would be a long trip, but they have an indoor range and you can try out all the different bows that they sell.
    Oh, one more thing. Bow weight makes a difference too. Like I said before, sometime you will end up holding the bow up and ready for a long time waiting for that buck (or doe) to take another step, walk behind the tree so that you can draw, or just quit looking at you :).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    handgun - ha. i was born in mankato. have relatives in lake crystal, waseca, janesville, etc. etc [:0][:D]

im heading to my parents house this weekend, ill have to swing by cabelas and see what they got.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    handgun - ha. i was born in mankato. have relatives in lake crystal, waseca, janesville, etc. etc [:0][:D]

im heading to my parents house this weekend, ill have to swing by cabelas and see what they got.

Cabelas carries Reflex (old hoyt models, still good shooting bows), Fred bear, Parker (another good shooting bow), PSE, and several other bows.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gander is a good place to go. At least the one by me. A friend of mine works there that's been hunting for years. Needless to say I get a lot of discounts.[:p] If you do talk to the archery tech there ask him how long he's been hunting just to make sure he not BSing you into buy anything just to make a sale.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    man o man, this is twice the info i thought i would get! [:0]

you guys kick * [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I lived in Cleveland (about 12 miles north of Mankato). I played football against Janesville until we went 9-man. There is a good Gander Mountain in Mankato. Scheels in the mall there is pretty good too. Not sure what they carry as far as bows (it has been a while since I was there), but it doesn't hurt to try.
    Also, if you are looking for a place to bowhunt and have a place to stay down there, the river valley area between Mankato and St. Peter is AWESOME! Most of the farmers down there used to let you hunt their property as long as it was just bowhunting. Plus, there is some state land (natural praire) just outside of Kasota. Ask around while you are down there.
  • Options
    steveTsteveT Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use a hoyt bow there ok. if you want to know the top of the line for bows its prolly bowtech or mathews (imo) there are other nice ones tho. you will need a treestand if you want a nice one go with API. For arrows i would go with goldtips or acc's. there are alot of different kinds of bow sights the best in my opinoin is prolly trophy ridge.