In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

fred bear bows

steveTsteveT Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
Hey i was wondering if any of you guys shoot new fred bear bows. are they any good. they look cool but its about performance. they are a little cheaper than bowtech and mathews. i am looking to buy a new bow what kind would you reccomend. i shoot a hoyt right now and i want to up grade. i am 13 but i pull back like 50 its the most my bow goes up to. i can get 70 back but i have to struggle. i know alot of you guys hate hoyts and i think there arnt better than bowtech or mathews but they make a nice youth bow (i have a rintec). well the bow im looking at is called a fred bear code. the problem with me shooting youth bows is that they usually only go up to 50 or 60 pounds. so i think i need an adult bow.

Comments

• Options
    firebawlpfirebawlp Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a Fred Bear Instinct and absolutely love it. I flung 1 arrow this season and killed 1 deer. My two best hunting friends (shoot Mathews or die) shot 6 arrows combined, and got 0 deer. Don't get caught up in the name. Shoot what feels good. I know my Bear is more accurate than me...and I didn't have to take out a loan to get it.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    being 13 you don't have the money to buy a 600-700 bow. Go with something you can afford. Even a recurve can still kill a deer just as dead as a high powered compound.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steveT
    i am looking to buy a new bow what kind would you reccomend. i shoot a hoyt right now and i want to up grade.

LMAO where's the Hoyt crowd [?][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lol i knew someone was gonna say something like that. well for the money part i think i could get like 200-250 for my bow i have a couple of treestands that i wanna sell and i have 300 dollars. how do u guys feel about buying bows off ebay. i know i would rather shoot one first to see if i like it but i dunno if they sell them around heere i gotta check on their web site.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lol i knew someone was gonna say something like that. well for the money part i think i could get like 200-250 for my bow i have a couple of treestands that i wanna sell and i have 300 dollars. how do u guys feel about buying bows off ebay. i know i would rather shoot one first to see if i like it but i dunno if they sell them around heere i gotta check on their web site.

IMHO a bow off of ebay needs a new string. You can get them for around 60-80 bucks on archery talk.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    i am looking to buy a new bow what kind would you reccomend. i shoot a hoyt right now and i want to up grade.

LMAO where's the Hoyt crowd [?][:D]

I saw that too bout wasn't going to say anything.

I think you should try to find some shops around you to go to and shoot some different brands, get measured up if you haven't yet. I think you can get a Bowtech Tomkat with goodies for around $400 or a little more. If you like the Bowtech line check out the Diamond line its made by Bowtech and I believe they run a little cheaper. Here's a link. Keep us posted on what you decide and post pics or taco will throw eggs at you.[:D]

http://www.diamondarchery.com/bows.php
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i am firmiliar with diamond and bow tech i like them but they are reall expensive lol if you want to see pics of the bow im looking at here it is.

http://beararcheryproducts.com/bows/compound/code/

so a brand new tomkat hooked up is only 400 bucks?
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just recently (past couple months) got a fred bear bow it's by team realtree and I love it, shoots better and smoother than my last bow and seems like a good bow for the money I am very pleased with it. Hope this helps?
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    i am firmiliar with diamond and bow tech i like them but they are reall expensive lol if you want to see pics of the bow im looking at here it is.

http://beararcheryproducts.com/bows/compound/code/

so a brand new tomkat hooked up is only 400 bucks?

maybe a little more. Enos could tell you better, he bought 1. I think the package deal is in the $400-$500 range. I could be a little off though. If you already know what you need size wise, I saw some on that one site for $475 New in box, ready to hunt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i called an archery shop and asked him about my situation with me having a short draw length and shooting 60-70 and he told me the tomkat was 485 all hooked up. but it still is too long of a draw length for me. i also asked him about fred bear bows because he is a dealer and he said that they have been getting alot of problems with the newer ones.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    i called an archery shop and asked him about my situation with me having a short draw length and shooting 60-70 and he told me the tomkat was 485 all hooked up. but it still is too long of a draw length for me. i also asked him about fred bear bows because he is a dealer and he said that they have been getting alot of problems with the newer ones.

I have a Mathews LX with the 28"@80% and 27.5" @ 65% cams. It is at 60-70 lbs. It is completely set up. If your interested shoot me an E-mail. Chief
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go here and look in the Bows For Sale.... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Mathews LX with the 28"@80% and 27.5" @ 65% cams. It is at 60-70 lbs. It is completely set up. If your interested shoot me an E-mail. Chief

Just how much you asking for it?.[;)]
    Don't be shy post it here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill

Just how much you asking for it?.[;)]
    Don't be shy post it here.

Never been accused of being shy before.[:D]
    I paid $400 for it a year ago and hunted with it this year then I bought my BowTech. The reason I said to E-mail me is that I would give a 13 year old a good price if it would help develop the love of bowhunting.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Steve - what ever you do, make sure the bow you buy has plenty of draw length adjustment. At 13 you have a lot of growing to do in the next few years. You don't want to have to buy a new bow in a year because you ran out of draw length. My $.02.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the advise and i dont even think i could shoot at 27.5 i am more like a 25 or 25 and a half. i was told by the dude that works at the archery shop that sells mathews that it would not be good for me because i would have to buy new modules like every year because i am still growing. is that true. i kinda beleived him because if all he was worried about was making money he would say yea mathews would be great for you. because there like 2 times as much as diamond lol.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the cabelas youth bows, or heck even get a old english type bow and use your fingers for a release or even use a release it doesn't matter. Whatever you want to shoot and like to shoot go for it man, the name doesn't matter its what shoots 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards that matters [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well im deffinatly not gonna buy an old english or recurve bow just because im young but thanks for the advise. i want a nice compound bow lol. and i dunno about cabellas bows. for me its bowtech mathews diamond and just maybe another hoyt. oh and btw i sent you an email chief.
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i shoot a martin it is a pretty good bow for the price pull weight on mine is 50 -60 pounds you don't need a speed demon as long as the bow is quite granted the speed does help alot
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lol i want a blackmax those things go like 340 fps....now thats a speed demon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    EDIT: I meant a blacknight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you got mail cheif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cheif i really need you to answer my e mails because i wanna buy a bow but ur bow sounds nice. if you dont wanna sell it just tell me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cheif i really need you to answer my e mails because i wanna buy a bow but ur bow sounds nice. if you dont wanna sell it just tell me.

To nice of weather to be on the comp. Didn't mess with all weekend. You have mail.