In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

carbon arrows for hunting

72tbone72tbone Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
I WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT THE PROS AND CONS OF CARBON ARROWS FOR HUNTING.

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Pros:
    Lighter = Faster
    Won't bend like aluminum.
    Smaller diameter = less drag through the animal = better penetration(this one is my opinion, I can't claim it as fact)

Cons:
    They just snap when they reach the breaking point (no straightening there).
    Cost
    Harder to install inserts (prep and all)
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    con:
    -carbons will break and splinter (sometimes on the shot, not good)
    -lighter arrows create less kinetic energy
    -lack of getting arrows that are prefect for your set up (lack of spine options)
    -harder to tune
    -can be more expensive the aluminum
    -some of them are hard to pull out of targets

pros
    -they do not bend like
    -can be used lighter then aluminums
    -can be faster
    -skinner arrow will cause less crosswind problems while hunting
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Join the 21st century and go with carbon.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot carbon bolts and arrows, have shot at a lot of animals, never EVER seen a carbon arrow break. I hit the front shoulder and never broke, hit a rib, never broke. Maybe I'm just lucky? lol
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    Shoot carbon bolts and arrows, have shot at a lot of animals, never EVER seen a carbon arrow break. I hit the front shoulder and never broke, hit a rib, never broke. Maybe I'm just lucky? lol

yeah, your lucky, but it may also depend on how much you are shooting. I shoot a lot, I have busted some in deer, or rather the deer fell over and busted it. Hand one bust when I hit the deer in the head. Hit limbs and trees shooting 3d, ect. Not that an aluminum would hold up in those type of situations either.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had no problems with my Gold Tip arrows. Very tough arrow! They hold up well in hunting, and target applications.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun

Yep, your lucky.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    I have had no problems with my Gold Tip arrows. Very tough arrow! They hold up well in hunting, and target applications.

I think the gold tip ultralights are junk in the toughness department. They shoot well though.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009

I think the gold tip ultralights are junk in the toughness department. They shoot well though.

The Hunter series work well. Next set will be Pro Hunters. For now I am sticking to the XT Hunters I have been using for years.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I have used Carbon Express and Gold Tip Hunter XTs. The Gold Tips seem to be a lot tougher than the CX.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to use XT hunters til they move everything to Mexico.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lighter and stronger than aluminum. Heavyer arrows provide more kinetic energy to a certain point. My carbons weigh 480 grains with 100 grain tips. Yes they break when a deer falls over on them and so do the aluminum arrows so it's a wash in that department. The important part is the arrow is in the deer.
    Overall they are better than aluminum. End of story.