In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

String

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
As a lot of you know I bought my bow preused, shot in the store...came in a box pre sold, no instructions no tools for the limbs, although I did get an instruction manual for the limbs it says nothing about the string changing. On my older bow there are cables attached to the string, on this bow it is all one string. Is this different or am I just not used to the newer bows? Also can the local dealer change the string when needed?

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    You should be able to take it to any good archery pro shop and have them change out the string. Plus with all the new materials and colors out there, you can personalize it a little.

I am going to have to do the same with my new bow due to an unfortuante fumble with an arrow this past season. It has been holding up ok, but it is beginning to worry me.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said, any archery shop should be able to put new strings on. You will need to pay them to tune the bow again, or learn to do it yourself. You will also want to find a high quality string, for example, vapor trail, winners choice, ect. There are some strings that are not the same quality as other strings.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great advice from Shoff. Winners Choice, Vapor Trail, and Barracuda all make good strings on the commercial side. The other option is to go with customs. If you do, make sure you get them from a reputable builder. I have one locally that does a great job! I have a set on my new bow and they shoot great! I could put you in contact with him if you like. With customs you can pick the string material, color, serving color, and serving material. If you don't know exactly what you want it may be a better idea to go with the name brand strings.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    Great advice from Shoff. Winners Choice, Vapor Trail, and Barracuda all make good strings on the commercial side. The other option is to go with customs. If you do, make sure you get them from a reputable builder. I have one locally that does a great job! I have a set on my new bow and they shoot great! I could put you in contact with him if you like. With customs you can pick the string material, color, serving color, and serving material. If you don't know exactly what you want it may be a better idea to go with the name brand strings.

You can pick the colors and string materials with vapor trails and pro strings also. I have a guy named Mike Mathews (i think thats his last name) building strings for me. My indoor bow has something like 5000 shots on them, at least. I am sure if I was shooting as much as I was last year, I might be in need of a new set, but my peep still is not rotating so why change when I am low on cash?