In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ok ya'll, newbie here....Link update...

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
As some of you might have read on the GD side, I'm the proud new owner of a 2007 PSE Nova SU. My wife bought it for me for my birthday. It's decked out...whisker bisket, pin sight, peep sight, side mount quiver, cobra release, etc.

I'm taking the bow in on Monday to get fitted.

My questions to you pros...

I don't have a dominant eye. I shoot long guns lefty, pistols righty, I write righthanded. I just don't have a dominant eye. But my right eye is the only eye that I can wink. That's why I shoot rifles/shotguns/scoped guns left handed, I look through the scope/sights with my left eye. She bought he a right-handed unit. Should I trade it in for a lefty, since I can only look through my left eye?

I plan on getting a some arrows and target tips.

Anything else I should get while I'm there? Bow string wax, tools, maintenance equipment, etc...

I have some dense straw bales, would they make a decent backstop or should I invest in an actual target? I was going to sit a cardboard panel under the wire and attach a target to it.

Websites that you recommend?

UPDATE!!!
First off I want to say thanks to everyone's replies. I've been reading a lot about compound bows and all the components that go into one. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about firearms, but nearly clueless about bows and bow hunting. I found a website called "hunters friend" or something like that. Breaks down EVERYTHING about bows.

Anyway, I wanted to express my thanks to you all. This side of the forum seems pretty cool.

Ok...Here's the bow and setup I have....

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2006-PSE-Nova-SU-Pkg/Nova-Synergy-Bow-Package.htm

nova-su-550.jpg

I have the

Quickshot Whisker Biscuit
Toxonics Stock-Dog Fiber Optic 3-Pin Sight
Pro Hunter Peep sight
6 arrow quiver
Cobra Release

The '07 she originally got me had a stabilizer(do I have to have one?)
The '06 I now have doesn't. I figure the money I saved should cover the cost of a decent stabilizer.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    As some of you might have read on the GD side, I'm the proud new owner of a 2007 PSE Nova SU. My wife bought it for me for my birthday. It's decked out...whisker bisket, pin sight, peep sight, side mount quiver, cobra release, etc.

I'm taking the bow in on Monday to get fitted.

My questions to you pros...

I don't have a dominant eye. I shoot long guns lefty, pistols righty, I write righthanded. I just don't have a dominant eye. But my right eye is the only eye that I can wink. That's why I shoot rifles/shotguns/scoped guns left handed, I look through the scope/sights with my left eye. She bought he a right-handed unit. Should I trade it in for a lefty, since I can only look through my left eye?

I plan on getting a some arrows and target tips.

Anything else I should get while I'm there? Bow string wax, tools, maintenance equipment, etc...

I have some dense straw bales, would they make a decent backstop or should I invest in an actual target? I was going to sit a cardboard panel under the wire and attach a target to it.

Websites that you recommend?

well if you gonna shoot a right handed bow it would be awful tough to look through the peep with your left eye so I would say yes you need to shoot a left hand bow. also hey bails are cool except dont shoot broadheads at them. they can come loose in the hay and some animal can ingest them. get some bow wax.and allen wrench set. that should be all the tools you need. good luck with the new bow..
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I would skip the bails and get a target. I have found that bails dont last or stop arrows very well
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Buckey is right, unless you start from the beginning shooting with both eye's open, yet still using your peep. I had myself trained for two years shooting eyes open, and have fallen back to closing an eye. Shooting with both eyes open is very helpful when following a target in low light.

Ben
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cubs,

I don't have a dominant eye either. I usually shoot with both eyes open. This is easy to do with my target bow, but harder with my hunting bow outside. I would personally keep the right handed bow unless you have problems. The lefty equipment for archers is more expensive, takes longer to get, and harder to find.

Where are you going to get it adjusted?

I would just get wax at this time. Synthetic wax is good stuff, Bohning makes some and is only about 5 bucks. I wouldn't worry about any tools at this time.

I would also crank down your poundage as much as your arrows will allow. The more shots you shoot without getting tired and creating bad habits, the better off you will be. If you can get it down to 65 or so, that would be a good starting point. You will use muscles that you haven't used in years. [:D]

For a target, I have a black hole. Its a * POS, lol, it does the job i guess and is big enough for 5 spot targets. You will shoot through straw bales.

So you want to do some 3d'ing? [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    Cubs,

I don't have a dominant eye either. I usually shoot with both eyes open. This is easy to do with my target bow, but harder with my hunting bow outside. I would personally keep the right handed bow unless you have problems. The lefty equipment for archers is more expensive, takes longer to get, and harder to find.

I would just get wax at this time. Synthetic wax is good stuff, Bohning makes some and is only about 5 bucks. I wouldn't worry about any tools at this time.

I would also crank down your poundage as much as your arrows will allow. The more shots you shoot without getting tired and creating bad habits, the better off you will be. If you can get it down to 65 or so, that would be a good starting point. You will use muscles that you haven't used in years. [:D]

For a target, I have a black hole. Its a * POS, lol, it does the job i guess and is big enough for 5 spot targets. You will shoot through straw bales.

That's why I shoot rifles/shotguns/scoped guns left handed, I look through the scope/sights with my left eye. She bought he a right-handed unit. Should I trade it in for a lefty, since I can only look through my left eye?
    he needs a left handed bow if this is the case . he4 will also need a set of allen wrenches to adjust his sights and rest...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cubs,

Tori spent 2 hrs with a buddy of mine at Sportsman's Warehouse, figuring out which bow to get. She said I can take the righty in and trade for a lefty, and the lefty was like $50 cheaper.(?) I was told that I can take it back and get fitted, which I assume takes measurements for draw length, etc.?? I opened the pin sight package already, hope they take it back. I do have a feeling that it'll be unnatural for me to shoot this with both eyes open. I'll try to see how it feels again when I get home. I may just trade it for the lefty.

I don't know anything about 3d'ing other than it's some sort of competition???

The Nova is adjustable from 60-70#. I may have them dial it down a bit.

I have a nice set of Kobalt allen wrenches I bought for the gun case last year, both metric and SAE.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I can't say anything that hasn't been covered except welcome to the addiction.[:D][;)] Post up with your progress and any good stories that may come from your new found love. you don't know it yet but it is your new found love.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    I can't say anything that hasn't been covered except welcome to the addiction.[:D][;)] Post up with your progress and any good stories that may come from your new found love. you don't know it yet but it is your new found love.[;)]
    And I yours [:I][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm now starting to think my right eye is dominant, doing the old "cover one eye while looking at an object test."

Maybe I can train myself to wink my left eye.

The wife said the new '07 model isn't available in left hand yet.

We'll see how it progresses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover

I don't know anything about 3d'ing other than it's some sort of competition???

sort of, but really I just go shoot for fun. When there are classes, I shoot the hunter class, 20-35 or so yards. I have taken the mentally that of just having fun. Yes I kind of want to beat my buddy, but if I don't it does matter. I just like shooting foam targets and bs'ing while walking around in the woods. Its fun, not really easy, but gets you used to shooting outside and at different distances.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Hey Cubs, nice to see you over here.

Another thing you can try is a kisser button instead of a peep. The peep helps to focus on the pins (similar to a tang or ghostring sight), but is not always necessary. The key is to hold and release the same way every shot. If you practice enough, you can get it so that as long as your hold is the same each time (hence the kisser button), you can set your pins for where the arrow impacts when you shoot with both eyes open. It is almost impossible for me to shoot with both eyes open and use a peep, but if I switch to a button, it is much easier. Kinda like switching from a scoped rifle to a shotgun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, point noted. The bow comes with both a kisser button and a peep sight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    Hey Cubs, nice to see you over here.

Another thing you can try is a kisser button .

I THINK THATS A GREAT IDEA, but also us a peep. I can tell you from experience that having the peep with a kisser button is a big help. I used to shoot without a peep. Even after I got my new hunting bow two years ago I shot without a peep for a couple of months. I am more accurate with the peep. I eventually to the kisser button off when I changed strings, but the more anchor points you have the better off you are.

Shot sequence kind of goes like this with a kisser button

use back to pull bow
    find my anchor points; nose, kisser in corner of mouth, hand on face, peep to eye to sight, fletch to chin if they are big enough
    finger on trigger
    pull through to release

thats 4 or 5 anchor points you can be pretty darn consistent with 4 points as long as you have all those points every time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i don't see a sling listed in there anywhere
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i don't see a sling listed in there anywhere

Oh yea.

I have a sling and stabilizer as well.

After checking it out I've decided I'm going to swap for the lefty, and have it dialed down to 60#. Shoulders are awful sore from pulling it and letting off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One way to find a dominant eye is to hold both hands out in front of you making a circle, look threw the circle and slowly pull your hands back toward you. You should end up with your hands around your dominant eye, it will be the eye that doesn't loose focus lookin threw the circle. I hope I said that all right.
    Here I did a google and found this, same concept.

Finding Your Dominant Eye
    To find your dominant eye, hold your arms at arm's length. Stick out your thumbs and overlap your hands to form a small triangle. Look through the triangle at a distant object, like a tree, car, or that picture of dogs playing poker. Bring the triangle closer to your face, keeping the object centered. You'll naturally end up looking through the triangle with your dominant eye. So, the dominant eye is the one your hands move towards.

Edit, Oops, I just saw you've already done the eye thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went back to trade it for the lefty. They had the 06 model in left hand, it has the hard plastic grip instead of the rubber grip. I took it home and a $53 gift card(refund). So I have $100 in GC's for there and am going back Tuesday to get fitted, pick up some arrows, and get sighted in. Can't wait. I think I'm going to get it dialed in to 60-65lbs. My shoulders are sore from just drawing it.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I think that you made the right choice.

Now remember these rules: If you want your monster buck to be recorded in the Pope & Young recordbook, you cannot have any kind of electronically powered device(no batteries), nor can you have a letoff greater than 65%.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

Now remember these rules: If you want your monster buck to be recorded in the Pope & Young recordbook, you cannot have any kind of electronically powered device(no batteries), nor can you have a letoff greater than 65%.

Ben

Good to know, my let off is exactly %65.

MAN I'm so STOKED!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You should have a stabilizer of some sort. Stabilizers do two things, one is reduce the cross sectional torque your hand puts on the bow(left to right torque) and reduces vibration. I have seen these bows shoot, for the money they are great for a beginner, but they have quite a bit of hand shock a stabilizer will help a lot. Doinker makes great stabilizers, but they are pricey. One stabilizer that a lot of people seem to like is the Sims S-coil. For the money, they look like great stabilizers and run about 15-20 bucks. Your stabilizer also holds onto your sling.

I should add into this post that you can also use a stabilizer to balance your bow. However, for a hunting bow, the importance of balance is the last thing your thinking of when you are aiming down on a deer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    when are you going to go get it set up to shoot? Maybe I could help you out a little bit. I am not an expert by any means, but I could certainly give you some pointers to get you started.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    when are you going to go get it set up to shoot? Maybe I could help you out a little bit. I am not an expert by any means, but I could certainly give you some pointers to get you started.

The 07 righty I had, had a Sims S-coil. That's what I figured I'd get.

I'm going Tuesday to get it fitted and sighted in. A good friend of mine is going with. He considers himself a pretty knowledgeable guy in the field. I appreciate the help. I just got a huge target from my in-laws. When I get it sighted in and fitted, we'll get together and learn me some things.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

Ben

If your bow has a let-off greater than 65%, you can still get in the book, you just get an asterisk. They changed it after that guy shot that monster in Ohio a few years back.
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the new toy!
    Just be very persistant with your practice. In time you'll get more confident with your shot placement... Then you'll be ready to get out and start getting some adrenaline rush's...almost,ALMOST as good as sex when everything goes right!!!![:D]....Then you'll be REALLY hooked...Good-Luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT
    Congrats on the new toy!
    Just be very persistant with your practice. In time you'll get more confident with your shot placement... Then you'll be ready to get out and start getting some adrenaline rush's...almost,ALMOST as good as sex when everything goes right!!!![:D]....Then you'll be REALLY hooked...Good-Luck!

Man, I'm not so sure. I've had quite a bit of it and I think that rush is a little better. You can only get that rush a few times a year the other you can get anytime.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Man, I'm not so sure. I've had quite a bit of it and I think that rush is a little better. You can only get that rush a few times a year the other you can get anytime.[:D]

Unless you are married, that is! [:p]
    Then you get it whenever she says you can have it! [:p]
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome to the nut house
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52

Unless you are married, that is! [:p]
    Then you get it whenever she says you can have it! [:p]

Hmmm, you better let her know who the boss is.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Hmmm, you better let her know who the boss is.[:D]

I do know who the boss is. She tells me who it is all the time. [:p]