In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best options(accesories)?

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
I'm pushing about 270+/- fps out of the new Nova. (guesstimate) It's supposed to push something around 300 @ 70lbs, I'm down to 63-64# now.
I'm going to do a few things then Chrono it.

I have a Sims S-coil on it and am thinking about adding some string dampeners to help quietness. It's not noisy, just a "pung" every shot.

What string "leeches" do you use? Also are there limb dampeners avail for a solid limb bow(as opposed to a split limb)?

Any other cost effective way of squeezing some extra velocity and making it quieter? I can't tell if there are any vibrations at all. It's pretty smooth.

BTW: Even though my forearm met the string for the first time yesterday, I'm ADDICTED. I can't wait to get home to shoot it some more.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with 270. If you want to make it quiet then work on that.There are dampners available for your bow. You can go directly thru PSE or try cabelas or BPS. You can get rid of the peep and kisser by shooting with a hind site which will add minimal fps but will give you a larger FOV and you will be able to shoot in less light. They are a little odd to get used to but since you are just starting out you wont be "used" to shooting anything right now. Good Luck.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful of the string leeches. The ones made and designed for compounds have not been very good and long lasting. However, the old design and the ones they currently sell for crossbows hold up very well. With that said, anything you add to the string may decrease your speed. There is nothing wrong with 270 fps. The 300 fps they say a Nova will get is with a 5 grain per pound arrow. For hunting, a 5 grain per pound arrow is just plain stupid.

An STS will dampen the shot some and may or may not increase your speed. Possibly 1-3 fps so they claim.

Sims does make a stick on limb savers. They will decrease your velocity though.

My Ultramag with easton axis arrows at 64 pounds shoots about 265. I am more then happy with it. My arrows weigh 420 grains or so. At that arrow weight and speed a deer doesn't know if it was hit by a 300 fps bow with a 350 grain arrow or a 600 grain arrow.

You can purchase a sts from www.lancasterarchery.com
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Btw, where are you shooting at?
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    The "pung" is bad. Make it quiet. Put on some string whiskers, I like the rubber kind. They'll slow down your arrow just a little bit. It's really a negligible ammount. You can get the limb savers for your bow, and it will help quiet it a little too, however, the "pung" that you are hearing is probably 100% string noise.

The theory with quieting a bow is this: Deer can hear you shoot, and react before the arrow reaches them. Usually they'll squat to bolt off, and you'll shoot over them, or hit them high, and back.

Ben
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Nother vote for STS, but you all knew I would say that [:D].
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another great set of informative posts. Thanks guys.

Shoff. My parent's backyard is about 3/4 acre, and they have a large deck that's about 12' off the ground. You can shoot across the yard as well, probably about 80yds. A little long for a bow, but they have a lot of room.

For 10-15yds, I set up in my backyard.

FYI I'm shooting Vital Impact(400) Carbon Arrows and 100gr Field tips. I really like the Wac'em 100's as broadheads and will probably hunt with those. Any experiance?
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I have not used the wac'em but have heard good things about them. I wouldn't be afraid to try'em. I'm gonna try the wrage 2 blade mechnicals this season. No reason just to try them.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cubs don't be so worried about the speed. Quiet is better like already mentioned. An arrow at 400-500 grains including the broadhead is a good range. Your bow is more than enough for deer. Compounds generally are more accurate in the upper range 67-70lbs in your case. Practice and don't forget your bow will place arrows higher when in a tree stand vs on the ground. Accuracy is better than velocity.[:)]
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Cubs - I have killed many deer with a bow that shot a lot slower than 260 feet per second (an old recurve with wooden arrows and 145 gr broadheads).

+1 on the limb-savers and string leeches/whiskers. You will be amazed at how much quieter your bow will be.

One more question. Do you have an attached quiver? If so, you may want to look into a removable one. They tend to vibrate a lot when permanently attached to the bow and vibration = noise.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a detachable 6-arrow quiver. The base is a super-soft foam, like that posture-pedic stuff.

Thanks for the replies everyone.