In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sad day. not archery

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
Gonna have to put my dog down here shortly. He had surgery last Sat. and just hasn't recovered. I knew it was comin' I've had him 12 years. I hated to have the surgery done cause of his age and I was afread this would happen. I've been hand feeding him but he won't even take that now. This morning he is so weak he can hardley stand up. This really sucks...thats my boy...I will miss him very much...[V]

Comments

• Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That really does suck Rich,
    But you know it's the best thing for him.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that. We had to put one of ours down a year ago January, and it sucks, big-time. I hope my lab goes quietly in his sleep, because I will be a complete wreck when he goes, it will just be compounded if I have to put him down.

My prayers are with you.
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, Sorry to hear that. Had to go through that a few times. Its never easy.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sucks dude. I'm really sorry. It's hard to do something like that to a living being that has showed true undying love and devotion such as a dog.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After talkin with the Dr. I work for we decided not to euthanize yet, he shows no sign of pain. It requires some more work from me getting him outside for bathroom and the like but I have no problems taken care of him after all he has done for me. Its hard to see him this way but with no sign of pain I cant end it for him. I am praying he will pass on his own before that comes. He is drinking normally. Very weak though, I have to help him walk but we get it done. Dr. will be out again in the morning to see if we have any changes, but as of now he is the same. [V]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    After talkin with the Dr. I work for we decided not to euthanize yet, he shows no sign of pain. It requires some more work from me getting him outside for bathroom and the like but I have no problems taken care of him after all he has done for me. Its hard to see him this way but with no sign of pain I cant end it for him. I am praying he will pass on his own before that comes. He is drinking normally. Very weak though, I have to help him walk but we get it done. Dr. will be out again in the morning to see if we have any changes, but as of now he is the same. [V] Oh man sorry to here that Ive Gone through that and its like losing a family member. I'm thinking of you Bud..[:(][:(][V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After talkin with the Dr. I work for we decided not to euthanize yet, he shows no sign of pain. It requires some more work from me getting him outside for bathroom and the like but I have no problems taken care of him after all he has done for me. Its hard to see him this way but with no sign of pain I cant end it for him. I am praying he will pass on his own before that comes. He is drinking normally. Very weak though, I have to help him walk but we get it done. Dr. will be out again in the morning to see if we have any changes, but as of now he is the same. [V]

Good news and bad news.

It's great that he's not in any pain, it makes it easier even though he is struggling. You sound like a fantastic owner/father to him.

We just had the same thing happen just before Halloween. Our Dalmation that we grew up with was hit really hard by cateracts(sp?) and arthritis. She struggled for a few years, we were going to put her down just before the cold weather hit(it would get really bad when the snow came). She passed in her sleep just before halloween, we were glad it came to a natural death.

I may be new to this side, but I send my best hopes and prayers that you guys make it through.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My boy may make it guys! I hope its not a get better then die thing but if it is at least he is goin on his own. but after work he made it outside without my help today. He did fall over but after a few minutes and me pattin my leg sayin come on boy he got up and made it to the garage with no help from me. When I was home at lunch I thought it was done, i made the plans to get the backhoe and dig the hole, I mean I was preparing for his last day. Tonight he ate a little(2 bites), not much but ate on his own, more than he has had in a while(a touch over a week). I gave him a hot dog, he ate it, a little meat, he ate it. I'm not gonna give him to much so he doesn't get sick but I can't belive it. We all thought, Dr.P included that it was time to do the deed. He has color back in his mouth and everything. his tongue and gums were white just yesterday now they are pink again. We'll see what tomorrow brings but right now I'm thinkin I may sleep tonight instead of gettin up and checkin on him or helpin him get water at 1:30am or move from the hard kitchen floor to his bed at midnight. I hope this is a turn around and we get a couple more years together at least. I know I sound like a sap but man I have had him since I was 22. He's my boy.

EDIT: Ok I might have jumped the gun a bit, he wouldn't get up again this morning. I'll have to see how he is at lunch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What do you think is wrong did he possibly get some of that tainted dog food? anti freeze or somthing? I feel so helpless when my pup's get sick cause they cant tell whats wrong.... I'll be praying for a speedy recovery Rich. Chin up think positive[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    What do you think is wrong did he possibly get some of that tainted dog food? anti freeze or somthing? I feel so helpless when my pup's get sick cause they cant tell whats wrong.... I'll be praying for a speedy recovery Rich. Chin up think positive[;)]

He started down hill a few days after surgery. I am now starting to think they had him on to many drugs. He was takin 3 different drugs 5 times a day.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Sorry Bang. It sucks. Dogs should live longer, but yours has lived a long life.

Ben
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I hope that all turns out well. I had to put our Beagle down the day before Christmas this last year. Not fun but it was necessary. My son handled it pretty good for it being Christmas Eve and having the dog for pretty much his whole life.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hows he doing today bang?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He's doing better. He is starting to eat a little, he gets up on his own now but not for real long peroids. Much better than a few days ago. We all thought it was over a few days ago and now the look in his eyes you can tell he feels better. I'm not sure if it was to many drugs or if it may have been a reaction to one of the drugs but I took him off them and he is definitely coming around. Thanks for askin'
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds great Bang!!!
    The bad news is we're all headed that way too.[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bang hows the Dog today??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd darn near call him 100%. Not quite but pretty dagone close. He seems to wear out quickly but I'm guessin that will change with a little more time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd darn near call him 100%. Not quite but pretty dagone close. He seems to wear out quickly but I'm guessin that will change with a little more time.
    AHHHHH Man thats great to hear... I'm very happy for you both.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great news. Glad to hear it.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear. I'm sure that you are glad that you didn't jump the gun. Treasure all the time that you have together. Chief.