In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Turkey Hunting

thunderstick82thunderstick82 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
Anybody had any luck yet?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Doe's anyone turkey hunt,,, I never have but got the itch to keep hunting this year so I may give turkey a try with the bow... any body else???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are some recommendations for turkey hunting with a bow? Indiana has just now started a fall turkey season where you're allowed to use a bow for a longer period than firearms. How many #s do you recommend? Would a recurve be sufficient?
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to wait til the 16th of this month.[:(]
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I have seen a couple strutting a few hundred yards out, but can't get any to come in. They are REALLY quiet this year. No gobbling except coming off the roost.

Good buddy of mine shot a beautiful 24-pound bird with 1-1/4" spurs on Sunday in TN. The beard was only 8-1/2" long though. It looked as if it had gotten into a fight or something. It was cut straight across (like someone took a scissors to it). Too bad, cuz it was an awesome bird.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to wait 'till the 23rd, it's killin me!
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    I have seen a couple strutting a few hundred yards out, but can't get any to come in. They are REALLY quiet this year. No gobbling except coming off the roost.

Good buddy of mine shot a beautiful 24-pound bird with 1-1/4" spurs on Sunday in TN. The beard was only 8-1/2" long though. It looked as if it had gotten into a fight or something. It was cut straight across (like someone took a scissors to it). Too bad, cuz it was an awesome bird.

Mites, pretty common. I didn't get a tag AGAIN. Stupid lottery. Saw 2 in town today, animal control was there to get them tho. Hope they take them south of town to let them go. In my 34 years here I have never seen turkey in this area. And now we have some, very few but we got them. A friend of mine called yesterday and said he saw a turkey. He couldn't believe it, my dad couldn't believe it. Never in our time have we had them here. I know where they came from but will never tell. but now we have a small pop of turkey and its growing. I love it, the turkey are making the news, and the coyote are fat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bang - You are more than welcome to come down here to GA and hunt them with me. I love to call them in. I am planning to go to TN and do the calling / camera duty for my friend while he tries to get his first one with a bow.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My season is May 3-7. Actually only the 4th season in Minnesota for the year. There is an option here if you didn't draw a tag, you can buy a bow tag over the counter and hunt the last 2 weeks of May. Gets kind of late, but you can get out after them. I got some good places to go if anyone is interested...
  • Options
    Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Opening day is April 11 can't wait[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bang - You are more than welcome to come down here to GA and hunt them with me. I love to call them in. I am planning to go to TN and do the calling / camera duty for my friend while he tries to get his first one with a bow.

I appreciate the offer but there is no way I could get away right now. I should clarify we have turkey at my place down in S. Illinois and that would have been were I hunted if I got a tag.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

I appreciate the offer but there is no way I could get away right now. I should clarify we have turkey at my place down in S. Illinois and that would have been were I hunted if I got a tag.

Well, if you don't get drawn again next year, keep me in mind.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    will do bud, thanks!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey handgun, what part of GA are you from?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thunderstick82

I live just west of Atlanta over in Paulding County.
    I am from Minnesota, about 30 minutes north of Mankato.
  • Options
    r1racingr1racing Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our season starts may first. I am hoping to get one with my new bow and one with a shotgun.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta wait for another month here. My season is May 2-6, but I get to practice my calling next weekend when I try to help my dad bag one.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cool. I live in a little town named Clarkesville in Habersham County. It's up in the north east corner.
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1

belle plaine?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter

belle plaine?

Cleveland. About 18 miles north of Mankato and 6 miles east of St. Peter. Belle Plain is another 30 minutes north from there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Update from this weekends hunting. My buddy John killed a HUGE turkey in TN on Friday morning. We were able to call him away from a hen too! 26 lbs., 10-1/2" beard and 1-3/4" spurs. Green scored he is the #18 turkey all time in TN. Here are the pics.

SecondWeekend012-Small.jpg
    SecondWeekend072-Small.jpg
    SecondWeekend028_resize.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Opening day was 4-11 for me. I got a late start by a half an hour due to work. set the decoys and started callen wasn't 15 min had the Tom dead, 11 inch beard 1 1/2 spurs and weighed in just over 23 pounds. 27 yards give or take a yard with a HOYT Vipertec.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know how to score a turkey I like to know how to do it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beer gut
    Does anyone know how to score a turkey I like to know how to do it

http://www.nWTH.org/all_about_turkeys/how_to_score.html

Here you go!
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a while to wait here in Ohio, its driving me crazy! Doesn't open till the 23. I'm dyin to get out and yelp lol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the web site[^]
  • Options
    turkeyhunter36089turkeyhunter36089 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me and my neighbor. Mine had a 10 1/2" and 5 1/2" beard and weighed 20 lbs. My neighbor's had a 9 1/2" and 6 1/2" beard and weighed 18 lbs.P3270074.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nice looking birds there Turkeyhunter!