In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crimson Talon

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
Opinons?

What are your thoughts on mechanical broadheads?

Crimson Talon offers a few different broadhead styles. Everything I've read says excellent things about them all.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I have no first hand with crimson talon. I have heard the blades are more weak then others and break more often. As I have mentioned before I am trying the rage 2 this season no reason then to try something different. But I really like the thought behind these. I believe taco used them last season. I recall something about the hole was so big internal organs were hangin out. I like that they are not a fold back type mechanical making the entry hole as big as the exit. I have tryed Hornet, looks like a muzzy but way cheaper, Rocket, I think miniblasters worked well, Dead head reapers, I really liked but couln't find them last season, and I think I have Rocky Mountain snypers now, don't care for them. The rage looks devistating.

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/expandable_broadhead.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link on those Rage heads. They look mean. Maybe I'll look into them.

The Crimson's are supposed to be redesigned with thicker blades this year, many problems with them breaking or bending.

My reason for looking into a mechanical is because they're supposed to fly like field tips. Have they pretty much solved the problems with them not opening?
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't care for mechanicals. The reason being is I like to use the KISS system, Keep It Simple Stupid. I use NAP crossfires, they are a 3 blade broadhead that the blades will rotate after the shot to the least resistance, this lines the blades up with the vanes creating in theory and better tuned arrow. They work very well and are easy to tune the bow to. Easy as my field points and broadheads it the same spot!
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote: Have they pretty much solved the problems with them not opening?

I have heard people say they didn't open but how can that be proved. When the arrow is pulled from the ground or the animal the blades will fold back to the unopened position. I've even had the oring slide back down over the blades but they still opened. I have never been sold on the "they didn't open" argument. They do fly like the field tips, I usually shoot fP all year then throw 1 or 2 BH to be sure but its always the same. Did you see the rage comes with practice tips that look like the unopened BH? Just my .02 everyone has opinions on BHs. I prefer Mechs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did see that they came with a practice tip.

I'm pretty well sold on the Mechanicals, they look darned wicked. And I've read a lot of positive feedback about all of them in general.

Thanks man!
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    In my experience, with a helicle fletch, you will have to slightly adjust your sights for broadheads, but it's really not a big deal at all. I'd rather have a solid broadhead, that I can depend on. I think a solid blade would perform better when taking a quartering shot.

Ben
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    the 4 deer that I have shot with a bow 3 of them have been with rocket hammer heads. It has a big 2 inch cutting diameter. the longest blood trail that I have had to follow is about 80 yards cuz the deer ran down hill. this years deer ran 40 and the blood trail was so big a blind man could follow it.

Some people claim that mechs dont open. Yes it is probable true but Id like to see what there bow set up is and the shot. I have read on other forums people shooting at broadside deer and the heads not opeing up, personally I dont even see how that is physically possible. I shot mech heads from my old pse and the heads opened and that was shooting at around 200fps.My old hoyt was shooting at 240 fps with easton full metal jackets and I blew threw my last deer
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I will throw my opinion into the mix. I shot mechanicals with my old bow. I shot, and killed deer with, the Cabela's brand, Gator (2-blade), NAP, and Rockets. Some things that I didn't like:
    - Lack of penetration. There is only a finite amount of energy emparted to the arrow from the bow. You want as much of this energy to be used to drive the arrow through the deer. With a mechanical head some of this energy is used to deploy the blades. It shouldn't be a problem if you are shooting above 250 ft/sec.

- The cutting diameter is too large. This goes with what I said above about energy. With a large diameter there is more drag, therefore the arrow loses energy more quickly. The flip side of this is that they do a whole lot of damage. But if they don't go all the way through, then the bloodtrail suffers.

- Because of the length of the blades, the ferrule is longer. Most ferrules are made of aluminum. So, if you do hit a bone, the ferrule will most likely bend, therefore the broadhead is junk. Shorter, fatter ferrules make for stronger broadheads.

All that being said, I prefer to use fixed 3-blade broadheads with a cutting diameter of 7/8" to 1-1/8". I am shooting Muzzy 100gr. right now.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot Vortex two blades in 125 grains as do most of my buddies that hunt whitetail. I bought a package of Rage 2 to also try just to try something new. One other buddy did the same and bought his about the same time as I did. After taking them out of the package and seeing how the blades **are supposed to** "lock" in place, i felt they SUCKED big time and gave them away. The other guy that tried them felt the same way. [:(!]{if you read nothing else of this post}[:(!] The SLIGHTEST touch from anything would snap the blade out of it's place and the blades would move around. I was even afraid that they might open as I release!! I think the concept is sound but the design is poor. I think I'll stick with my Vortex as long as they make them. They do fly EXACTLY like my field points and I've never had one fail. Plus they have 2 3/4" cutting dia. My Hoyt shoots about 265-270 and I've never had a penitration problem with them! I can even post a pic from a doe I shot this past season that darn near cut it's front leg off! Goes to show what can happen when the darn critter's jump the string![;)]

HEY HANDGUN: I loved the "Gunslinger" series as well!
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rage 3 bladed are better than the 2 blade. my .02 worth [:)]
  • Options
    Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never used the mechanical ones but i have the fixed blades and they work great.
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Crimson Tuskers last season. They are the 2 blade model instead of 3 like on the Talon. They fly very true through my set-up but I was not happy with the kill results. One of the blades was completly broke off and the other was mangled and partialy broken. My shot ended up on the inside of the front shoulder blade[through alot of bone]and I had to cut around to remove the pieces of blade in the meat, I expected them to hold up a little better than that. I still have the pieces somewhere around here and if I can find it I'll take a pic of it and post it. Since I bought 2 packs of them I will probably use them again this season but I will change brands eventually.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    DirtyRat - I don't know of many broadheads that can withstand the impact of hitting a shoulder blade at today's arrow speeds. Even my Muzzy's are pretty much junk if they hit a big bone. I had a doe * just before I released this last season and ended up hitting her way too far back. The arrow went through and impacted the off-side thigh bone. It broke two of the three blades and bent the ferrule. And these are tough broadheads. Fortunately, it did end up cutting a major artery so she didn't go that far before she bled out.
  • Options
    rock,roll,n,loadrock,roll,n,load Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to use mechanicals, Rockey Mountain Revolutions. That is until a friend of mine turned me on to Slick Tricks. With the slick Tricks I get complete pass throughs everytime and they leave an awesome bloodtrail. I didn't always have pass throughs with the mechanicals. I guess due to energy loss opening them up on impact. Plus the Slick Tricks shoot the same as field points.
  • Options
    muskymaniacmuskymaniac Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot a doe with a rage 2 blade last year and it looked like I stabbed her with a lawn mower blade