In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Turkey roosts?

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
Quick questions.

Do turkeys roost in the same place each night? Or are they like chickens and when it gets dark they roost regaurdless of where they are at the time?
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Around my house it depends on the birds. I have seen them in the same tree every night for weeks then when may first starts there gone for a month
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Again my experience is more fall but where we hunt they seem to be in different places. Spring may be different.
  • Options
    Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    Quick questions.

Do turkeys roost in the same place each night? Or are they like chickens and when it gets dark they roost regaurdless of where they are at the time?

I see both
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well see I had a plan if the roosted in the same place I would just look for that and set up near them...
  • Options
    Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just learned this the other day. I can't remember if it was from a show I was watching or something I read, or I would reference it.
    Someone did some research and found that turkeys will typically have somewhere around 3 roosts that they will use.
    The tend to rotate freely between the different roosts randomly.
    They might stay on 1 for weeks or may stay only a day. They couldn't find a pattern.
    The turkeys didn't all move together either, so there seemed to always be at least a few turkeys on all the roosts, but sometimes a roost would stay empty for a few nights.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Head out at dark and hoot like an owl, you should hear a gobbler call back to you. If you can pin point his location try to get close to his location in the early morning but don't get to close, 150 yards or so, and be very quite. At day break start calling using a "hen" call. If he's interested he will be coming in. If it's legal in your state you should use a blind, i recall you have some problems.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You using a shotgun or your crossbow ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am using the shotgun for now.... In the fall I can use the crossbow and then I can shoot either sex.... I have a blind that I can carry real easy.
  • Options
    turkeyhunter36089turkeyhunter36089 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Islander1989 Posted - 04/27/2007 : 2:35:27 PM
    I just learned this the other day. I can't remember if it was from a show I was watching or something I read, or I would reference it.
    Someone did some research and found that turkeys will typically have somewhere around 3 roosts that they will use.
    The tend to rotate freely between the different roosts randomly.
    They might stay on 1 for weeks or may stay only a day. They couldn't find a pattern.
    The turkeys didn't all move together either, so there seemed to always be at least a few turkeys on all the roosts, but sometimes a roost would stay empty for a few nights.

Hope this helps.

Islander is pretty much right. Turkeys have 3 or 4 "preffered" roosts, but will usually stick to one favorite roost as long as nothing spooks them. This is more true in the spring than in the fall. One reason is that when hens get ready to start laying they will roost fairly close to their nestingf sites. Also, try not to hunt close to a roost site in the afternoons unless you have a limited amount of time to hunt, or your neighbors are hunting the same turkeys.