In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Turkey success

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
I wish I could say I got the bird with my bow... but it was better to have done it with my 6 yo daughter along. This was her very first day of hunting of any kind. She sat well in the Double Bull, and thought it was cool to have her face painted up...
IMG_0942.jpg
We had a beautiful view! If you look close there are some turkeys in the field to the right of the old barn... at 1.5 miles!
IMG_0941.jpg
This hen gave us quite a show...
IMG_0954.jpg
Here she is with the bird. More about the bird later...
IMG_0963.jpg
And back at home we got our picture together.
IMG_0965.jpg

Now about the bird. It is a bearded hen! About 8 inch beard on her. It is legal here in Minnesota. Even the local CO that lives 2 houses up the street had to get some pictures of it. That bird makes us 3 for 3 in the family in 3 days! The FIL got a big tom in Wisconsin. In Minnesota the Bro in law got a jake on his one and only day to hunt and I took this one. Great year for us on birds.

Off to clean her up. Going to pluck her out for the smoker. Should be some good eating.

Comments

• EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way to go. Wish I could get one. Looks like the Daughter had a good time, that is all that matters when kids go along.

We have quite a few bearded hens around here, even some of the female turkeys have [:o)]

The law here is it must have a beard, we see a lot of hens for some resaon that have the beard, anyone have any ideas as to why?
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In talking with the CO next door, he said less than 2% of hens have a beard, and less than 1% of those are even visible beyond the feathers. This bird has a lot of people talking around here. Just not that often you see a hen with a beard like this one has.
    You may have some genetics that make the bearded hens more common, but they are kind of rare.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Great job! beautiful country! Hope your daughter is hooked!!! Stick your hand up over your head, now reach down and pat your back... There now thats from me for taking her with you.. Your a good man!
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Great photos. you should be a proud dad.[;)]
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Great photos. you should be a proud dad.[;)]

The proud dad thread title was already taken...[:D]
    Bang, Buckey... Thanks guys. Not too late to get up here and go bow season. It starts 5/19 and goes through the end of the month. Good anywhere they issued 50+ tags per season.
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice bird....

i didnt draw![:0][V][V]