In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Boat work

NUguyinCrewNUguyinCrew Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
I dont suppose anyone on here has built up a boat for bowfishing?
Or knows whats the best way to patch holes in a jon boat? A few of the rivets are popped on the bottom and I was just going to epoxy all of them over and coat with a marine paint to seal it up. After that I was pretty much just going to stick a piece of treated plywood on the front, support and anchor it to the boat, add some halogen lights and an inverter for the battery to get a couple hours of daylight at night. Im trying to do everything on the cheap (ie - bought the sieve, I mean boat, for a case of bud light, thanks bang - theres another case in it if you feel like patching rivets).

Also, Im getting pumped so I have to let it out...only 3 more days till Im at Darlington! Woohoo.

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    400 more acres to go and I may be able to help.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NUguyinCrew
    Or knows whats the best way to patch holes in a jon boat? A few of the rivets are popped on the bottom and I was just going to epoxy all of them over and coat with a marine paint to seal it up.

I don't know, but when you figure it out, let me know how it works. I've got a boat with the same problem.

Ben
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did you rip the rivet out first? With the ones popped that would be a ton of time to grind them out.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Did you rip the rivet out first? With the ones popped that would be a ton of time to grind them out.
    Drill out the rivits. mix a good marine grade epoxy. drill hole for a rivit with a larger head apply epoxy around hole insert larger rivit compress the rivit, thats it man. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Don't know for sure, I was @8 at the time. It was a whaler style boat that had been gutted.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just need something that will float for 3+ hours in a night and to hold a trolling motor. I would only use this boat for bowfishing and frog gigging really so it only needs to hold the catch, 3 guys and beer for ballast. Its not exactly going to be an open water boat, probably used for ponds and smaller bodies of water.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just need something that will float for 3+ hours in a night and to hold a trolling motor. I would only use this boat for bowfishing and frog gigging really so it only needs to hold the catch, 3 guys and beer for ballast. Its not exactly going to be an open water boat, probably used for ponds and smaller bodies of water.
    if your gonna bother to fix it ya should do it right. so ya dont drink too much sink and die with un opened beers. that would be a real shame[:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have 2 words for ya than.

BILGE PUMP.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    I have 2 words for ya than.

BILGE PUMP.[:D]
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought about the bilge pump too. I have a portable sump for my pool so since I will be running an inverter anyway (for the lights), I just need to cut me some hose for any water infiltration or in case of someone not making everything over the side of the boat due to "too much ballast consumption".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought about the bilge pump too. I have a portable sump for my pool so since I will be running an inverter anyway (for the lights), I just need to cut me some hose for any water infiltration or in case of someone not making everything over the side of the boat due to "too much ballast consumption".

You can get a 12vdc bilge for about $15.
    "too much ballast consumption".[:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

Duct Tape.[:D]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    duct tape doesn't work for everything; however, if you add in bailing wire, and jb weld, well that does cover just about everything.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    duct tape doesn't work for everything; however, if you add in bailing wire, and jb weld, well that does cover just about everything.

Ben

Not really. You forgot WD40. I don't know how that would stop a boat leak but if the bilge siezes up, there you go.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seen a product called Alumaweld. small diameter metal rod which is rubbed on/over where you want to patch. Used with a normal everyday propane torch that you heat the area and when the rubbed rod starts to melt you fill in the hole or crack. Says that it is stronger than original metal and can be drilled and tapped.
  • Options
    john in jaxjohn in jax Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drilling out rivets is a quick and easy. I just dip the new rivet in a little JBWeld before putting it in and tightening it up. Undoubtedly, marine epoxy is the proper way to do it, but I don't know if it would work any better.

I just added a "deck" to the front of my semi-V hulled, jon boat. Down here in NE Florida's ICW, catching big reds, flounder and trout is all about being able to cast net your own FRESH finger mullet.