In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ohio Gobblers

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have allready tagged a jake, but it was a weird hunt. He didn't gobble until 8, and it was pouring down rain? Funny how in that weather he was ready, he also came in with 7 other jakes. I was on private property, I also hunt public property and have seen 4 jakes. I had 2 gobbles to me this morning that answered every call I made, when they gobbled at 6 I made quiet tree calls. They got to about 100 yards then began to back off. I was in a field with woods covering the outline, I was in a popup blind. Didn't make much sense to me, I waited until 10 for them but they left and never came back I heard them goble as they got farther and farther away. I know sometimes hens play a role but what happened? And I haven't even SEEN a tom this year?? Normally I have killed two allready [V]

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is turkey hunting... I too got fooled a few times until yesterday. Sometimes there is no good answer for what these birds do. Last Thursday I had 2 BIG toms inside 10 yards. I was in a DB T2 blind, but out in the open. They didn't care I was there until I tried to draw... then it was over. Then they ran down the hill to where my bro in law was just standing in the woods after he shot his bird and stood there.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just didn't know if turkey hunting was a slum this year?
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    Just didn't know if turkey hunting was a slum this year?

I have heard it has been a tough year. I have a good friend who is more of a turkey hunter than a deer hunter and he said nothing is working this year, nothing makes sense, and the usual tactics are not working. Now he has gotten his bird but he said that it was just right place right time... the same for his son and daughter, just happened to be where they needed to be. Could be the same out there I suppose
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Normally I can get a bird to sound off till about 10-10:30 where I hunt...this year by 7-9 o clock they shutup NO MATTER WHAT.
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early April cold snap not only set spring back and caused all the plants & trees that had bloomed, blossomed, etc. to die and start over but, it had just as big of an impact on the turkeys. It pushed the main breeding season back to correspond with our Ohio opener. The gobblers were all henned up and the opening day & week kill numbers were a definite indicator of just that. The birds are still with hens and I'm still running into to gobblers that are roosting with hens that would normally be sitting on their nests by now.
    The last week should be really good and I anticipated week 3 to be good as well. I haven't been out yet this week but, reports that I'm getting are still saying hens are a big pain in the *. Patience is a virtue this year...focus on the late morning strut zones and fields and stay alert. Good luck...
    edited November -1
    Well...my anticipation of some good hunting during Week 3 and especially Week 4 turned out to be disappointing. I called in more coyotes than turkeys. At least in the areas I hunt gobbling activity was pretty scarce. There were a couple of days when I was out that they were vocal but, for the most part, silence. I did have some great hunts that the turkeys won and should've filled my second tag but, that's why they call it hunting.

Any other Buckeye state hunters fair any better?
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I dont hunt for Turkey but I am interested if any of you guy's are hunting with a bow????
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    I dont hunt for Turkey but I am interested if any of you guy's are hunting with a bow????

I didn't this year. Blackpowder was my partner again.