In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

beginner wanting to know what kind of bow to buy

TKEMO657TKEMO657 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
i figured i would give bow hunting a shot this year. my question is bow is good for a beginner? i would like a bow that is user friendly but will also be dependable. i am left handed if that would make a dif. with what bow to get. any advice you guys can give me would be very useful.

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    The best Thing for you to do is go to a bow shop with a range in your area shoot several Bows.Then make a decision. welcome to the forum and good luck[8D]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the nut farm[:D]. I agree with buckey on this one, try a few different bows then make a decision then find the one that's in your price range and have a ball.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is strange, 3 of us all agreeing on the same thing. Is this a record? Shoot several different bows and see witch one suits you the best. Make sure you are comfertable shooting the bow you chose. If possibable take and experanced archer with you on your surch. He can point out things on a bow the salesman won't. Remember the salesman works on commision and he is going to try and make a sale. So do not let them force you or talk you into a bow that you really do not want. If price is a problem there are plenty of bow packages out there for under $300.00 With a package you get sights, rest, quiver, and some arrows on a few modles. Happy hunting
    Hornet
  • TKEMO657TKEMO657 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    alright, what about the accesories to go with the bow. is it better to go ahead and get a package deal or build up your own. if it is better to build up your own, what would you suggest getting and what should i stear clear of.
    thanks for the help
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a cheap setup (in my experience) you are going to hate shooting a bow and will throw it down. I made the mistake and bought a "package" bow. I should have just saved the money and bought a naked bow. I ended up buying an aftermarket sight that is FAR better than the PSE pin sighs I was using. I bought a Whisker Buscuit rest. I threw away the bow quiver. It's just one more thing that will vibrate when you shoot the bow and is completely unecessary IMHO (not to mention that anything you ADD to a bow reduces your arrow speed). I bought a NAP stabilizer and some LimbSavers.

You usually get low-end stuff when you buy package bows (in my experience). Save your money. Buy a naked bow and get a high quality sight and rest. Get a hip quiver. They're not expensive and you'll want one anyways once you start shooting 3-D or spend a lot of time at the range.

P.S. Ignore archery rags like you would ignore gun rags when trying to decide which bow to buy. A gun rag will never do a bad review on a gun and an archery rag will never do a bad review on a bow. They're being PAID to write good reviews on products.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you know you are going to be doing this for a while just bite the bullet and get a mathews, in other words go big or go home.
  • StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in the same position as you, TKEM0657 as far as being new to bows. Went to a pro shop and quickly realized that the accessories will cost more than the bow. Idsman is right about low end stuff on the package bows. I could see i wasn't going to be happy with the cheap stuff. But overall, i tried out some bows, shot a few arrows and watched others shoot. It was a pretty good experience. Still haven't made up my mind, but i've got the bug and i think i'll drop some cash today.