In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Patriot, Liberty, dually, or Outback?

elkmanelkman Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
Im ready to buy a new bow and can't decide.
I currently shooting a Alpine sierra magnum that is 14years old, I shoot with a Scott release @ 29.5" draw I just restrung it with winners choice and went to goldtip xt arrows and a Trophy taker drop away. I also droped it from 86lbs to 75lbs and am shooting at 270fps.
I love the accuracy of this bow, can put 2 out of 4 arrows into a playing card at 80yds. But it is old technology, it's loud and heavy!
Just got back into 3-D's after 4 years and placed in top five in last 4 and won one when I finnaly started to notice the Bowtechs.
Read ALL the reviews EVERY where and the arguments between mathews and bowtech and everyone else.
I just can't find a dealer that will let me shoot them off the shelf to compare.
The liberty is getting alot of good reviews
and the patriot is faster and the dually even faster, whether the patriot dually or the Blacknight. Why is there a persived draw back with the dually's? is it because everyone thinks they have to shoot a solo to be hip with the times?
The mathews has it's followings and supposed great customer service which is a bonus. Just don't know If I can get past thier wierd cable roller thing, and what's with those "dampeners" at the end?
I thought about the xtec till I saw it, ugly.
I guess I am looking for confirmatin on a small, quite, light, fast bow with a smooth draw and durabulity.
I also shoot 3-D's with the exact same set-up that I hunt with , the only diffrence is I go from field point to Thunderhead 125 broadheads.
By the way, I hate shooting in the same class as guy's shooting with magnifying scopes and 4' stabilizers, I guess I get classed with them because I use a Sight master movable sight, which I also hunt with.
Any inputs would be greatly aprriciated.

Thanks Guy's.

www.anchorfrog.com

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Bowtech is definatly a good fast Bow. If you want Quiet, fast,smooth and quality, a bow you can still sell for a decent amount of money, I personally would buy the outback, Ovcoarse I am biased I have a mathews[;)][;)] good luck which ever you choose.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would forget everything else and get the outback, I love mine it is very accurate. I guess I am biased too having a mathews and all.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Hey there elkman. Basing my suggestion stictly off of personal opinion I'd suggest the Outback. On another note, if your shooting 2 our of 4 arrows into a playing card @ 80 yards with a 14 year old bow then I'd have to say your current setup is pretty darn good.

How about that website link? You the camera guy? Got some good photos on there.
    Hope to see you start hanging around our sight, you might enjoy the variations on here...[:)][;)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Elkman,forgot to tell you bowtech was designed to basicly copy mathews.If you research you will find the manufacturing tolerances of bowtech to not be nearly as close as mathews. for example limb pockets on a mathews is machined to like .oo5 where as bowtech can be 20.000 out thats the difference. Don"t get me wrong bowtech is a good bow, but sorry it's just not a Mathews. If I could put 2 out of 4 arrows in a playing card at 80 yards, you would be watching me on tv not Bill Jerkdan & Doooooey brothers.also I wold not be looking for a new bow man I'd hire someone to carry it for me if it's that heavy. "Just razzing ya man" I would try to shoot both then pick the one you feel best about. After all your going to be the one shooting it so other opinions don't really matter.[;)][;)][;)]

"Opinions are like A-Holes everybody's got one"[:I][:I]
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 out of 4 in a playing card at 80 yards? I can't even see that far let alone put an arrow in it[8D] I shoot a Reflex, but I did shoot an outback the other day. If I hadn't bought my bow last year i'd be shootin an outback now.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know that info about the tolerances Buckeyboy.
    I posted a couple of shot's of my bow so you can see why I am in the market.
    As for size it's 41" axle to axle!, that's just to long compared to what I could switch to. And it weighs 6.5lbs just the way it's set up.
    Here are the pics..
    The bow http://anchorfrog.com/alpine.jpg
    The other reason besides the stated fact's is I am starting to see de-lamination on both limbs, as you can see here..http://anchorfrog.com/limb.jpg
    I guess the only reason I have been looking dominantly at Bowtech is when I started looking at archery forums this summer I saw a question put to list you fovorite makers in order, That's where I saw them, had never heard of them. Then I went to a local shop to see one and the owner let me shoot his, the first thing i noticed was the light poundage as compared to mine set at 86lbs, which I was told was wrong! then I noticed how the bow was top heavy and it fell forward, which I was told "that's the way it should be" I just didn't think it should do it that fast.
    I have never shot a mathews because when they came out I really didn't like the marketing "which I have read alot about" and their "we ARE the best" attitude.
    But now Im older and all that matters is comfort, durability, accuracy and speed[:D]
    So again Thanks for your honest imput with out the attitude.
    By the way, any one from washington state?

Later

www.anchorfrog.com
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will probably start WWIII with this but here it goes. I shoot a High Country Carbon 4 Runner. I use to shoot Bear/Jennings bows. My oldest son shoots the new Buckmaster G2XL, youngest son, High Country Power Force. They are all great bows. I have shot the Mathews QE2 or what ever the bow was called. At one time it was the top of the line Mathews bow right before the Legacy. It was the most uncomfertble bow I have ever handled. I could not stand the way it shot. It felt like a big stick in my hand. This Mathews is a friend of mine's bow. He has killed many animals in Texas with it But I would rather shoot my Carbon 4 Runner than any Mathews bows I have shot so far. My Carbon 4 Runner is lighter, faster, and eaiser to get in and out of a tree stand. In my openion it shoots smoother also. Of course everyone has an openion. Take 50 cents and an openion and you might get a cup of coffee.

Hornet
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hornet, I think all hunters are partial to the bow they shoot or most likly would not have bought it. You have most likely heard me tell other guys shoot the bow that works for you and your most comfortable with. The worse bow on the market today is probabley better than the best bow ten years ago, and they been killing deer long before that[;)][;)][;)]
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buckeboy, you are correct, but with my openion on Mathews bows I can have fun hasseling my friends that shoot them. When they want to come and show me how to shoot, I even have more fun. I don't all ways win but 9 out of 10 times I do. So I can really get on the Mathews bow boy's. You got to have a little fun.

Hornet
  • Options
    toocarztoocarz Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When it comes down to it, whatever you feel most comfortable with is what you should go with. I have a Mathews Q2 and Outback. The short axle length of the Outback is a bit less forgiving if you don't practice a lot....but I place a high weight on noise....and practice a lot. I think there is no quieter bow that the Outback...I mean it is real quiet, which can help avoid a deer from "jumping the string" and perhaps allow for a second shot. But then again, the best bow is what you shoot the best....
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Hornet. I, too, shoot a High Country Carbon 4-Runner. The carbon fiber riser makes it soooo light, extremely quiet, and a pleasure to hunt with. Is it fast? I shoot the HCA Carbon Revolution shafts 28.5" @ 70# w/Hatchet cams...335 fps. My arrows weigh 315g w/100g heads. I can trim those down to 275g and I'm at 365fps. This bow has made me a better archer. Not everyone is a speed freak but, my bow hunting buddies are amazed when they see & hear how it shoots. The bow has a lifetime warranty and their service people are top notch...IMHO.
    Now THAT is "taking the arch out of archery". [}:)][;)][:D]

Lmbhngr
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well Shot them all and choose the Patriot.
    Here's the results[:D]

http://anchorfrog.com/Kirkselk.jpg

2004 Patriot @30.5" draw @75lbs
    Trophy Taker drop away rest
    scott release
    sightmaster sight
    28" Goldtip Camo xt 7595 tipped with Thunderhead 125's weighing 450 grains.
    290FPS:)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No fair, us easterners haven't had the season open up and here you are rubbing it in our faces. [:D][:D][;)]

Looks to have been a good choose for you! Congrats! [:)]
    How come you tagged a cow so early in the season?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's a spike or cow only area[:(]
    You can apply for a branched antler earlier in the season by drawing, but I always forget and miss the date[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    O, now how are you gonna feel when a 6x6 walks by you in that area? [:0][:0] [;)]
    Just teasing, good job!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Well last year I had a 5x5 walk to with in 12yds of me on my way into my ground blind. All I could do is watch him walk by[:(]
    This picture is of one a guy that won a any bull tag shot about a mile from me.
    http://anchorfrog.com/6x6.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now that would make me cry, 12 yards. I've hunted in Gunnison National Forest, CO a few times and never without a bull tag. Never got a bull yet, but I wouldn't go there without one either. [:)] I figure if I'm driving 24 hours to get there then I'm gonna shell out the $250 for a bull tag to.
    A buddy of mine wants to go out during muzzleloader season, but so far we haven't. We normally go either 1st or 2nd rifle season. I don't think I am confident enough to travel all that way and bow hunt, lot better chance of me having elk meat with a rifle. [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Congrats Elkman Good Job. Why is that cow smileing[?] Dosen't she know she's dead?[:D][:D]
    BUCKEY BOY