In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What should the arrow do when you shoot a deer

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
I guess my question is, do you want the arrow to stay in the deer, or exit the deer. Every deer I have shot, the arrow exited the deer. Always clean kill.
Yesterday, I shot a woodchuck. Broadside shot, arrow hit a little bit back. The damn thing was flopping around like crazy, then he expired. I went to the chuck, and he was cut up like crazy-it looked like I shot him with a 3006, not an arrow. The arrow was still in him and I think while he was flopping, the broadhead continued to cut him.
Which makes me think, an arrow that stays in the deer, might continue to do damage while the deer is running, causing more bleeding and hemorraging, causing a faster kill and perhaps a better blood trail.
So when you shoot a deer, does the arrow ever stay in the deer, and what are the results.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
-Jimmy the cheese man

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    A pass through is always preferable to me, because it makes the deer easier to track and recover. I have seen many deer that were almost not recovered due solely to the fact that they were shot high and down into the cavity without passing through, and all bleeding remained internal. It is amazing how far a deer can go on just one lung, and without a pass through recovery can be quite a challenge.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had 3 deer that the arrow didn't pass through. First was when I shot a little forward and hit the shoulder, recovered the deer. Second was quartering shot that hit opposite shoulder, recovered the deer with a bit of tracking. Third was a back of the head shot on a deer that was right under me, recovered him easily[:D]. I prefer a pass through also, as Ben stated easier to track.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Ben, Is right on, I have shot deer and they bled all inside. But with the pass through shots I have always found the deer. All comes down to shot placement I guess[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ben, Is right on, I have shot deer and they bled all inside. But with the pass through shots I have always found the deer. All comes down to shot placement I guess[^]
  • Options
    dennisjohnsondennisjohnson Member Posts: 471 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i vote for pass through. after the arrow is found it can tell you alot.....like blood color...bubbles(lungshot)...color or hair on fletching(high/low..right on).if your not in snow the more blood the better for tracking.[;)]

dennis
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Pass through is definately a better trail to follow. I don't blow through and it is difficult to track, however I have never had to track as far as my buddies that do blow through. Its a toss up for me. I've tracked both. One goes farther, but one is easier.[:)]
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    the 2 deer i have shot I didnt get a pass through on either. the deer ran away with the arrow sticking out of them hitting all sorts of sticks. you should have seen the damage done it was great. the only down side was no blood trail for either deer but i did hear them both crash so i knew they were down

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    toocarztoocarz Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I totally agree with Ben and the people that responded on this thread. The next question is what can you do to get a clean pass-through shot. In my view, a mechanical broadhead will not reliably pass through, especially when you are close and shooting down. I, probably like many that will read this thread, have experience this as well. I highly recommend fixed blade broadheads. I am sure that this will ignite sparks, but it only experienced based.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I have never lost a deer I shot with a bow and I have had
    pass through shots and some that stayed in. I'm thinking
    the majority passed through and those were mainly with fixed broadheads. I do recall shooting a mechanical broadhead a
    year or two ago and it passed completely through the neck then exited breaking the spine (ground blind, held draw WAY to long
    ugh [B)])
    If I had to choose I'd go for a pass through using a fixed
    broad head. I'm basing all this off my incredible sense of
    memory, so keep that in mind. [:D][;)]

** welcome aboard toocarz!!

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The little suction cup thingie should stick to his forehead[?][?] Is this right[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The actual answer to this topic is "kill it". Buckey, have you got one of those suction cups stuck to your head for days without being able to pull it off?? ..... Me neither [^]
    [:D][:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    The little suction cup thingie should stick to his forehead[?][?] Is this right[?]

Ya got m e rolling on the floor!

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Keep it up Sus Inoticed ya been shadowing me for the past week or so[;)] I might hafta start another arguement soon. Even though i'm not one to stir the pot[:0] Now you know i'm full of sh_t[:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been shadowing cause I've been so busy. I do believe I have lost my dear friend down by the water that I was watching.
    I saw him one more time after I last told you, he jumped across the rode in front of my truck. Actually he wasn't as big as I had originally thought, not to say he wasn't a wall hanger though, he is way big enough for that. After that morning I haven't seen him again and it's been going on 3 weeks maybe 4 now. [:(] That farmer stopped me again and asked me if anyone had shot him at night yet or not. I think the old farmer is a poacher [}:)][;)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    "That Bites" But ya never know just when ya think he gone he may pop up some where.[:p] Yea on that farmers dinner plate.[:p] Keep the faith man if he got that big he's probley laying low[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We'll see, but I'm not getting excited over it anymore, kinda bummed me out.

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    You know, with the way bucks like that will travel, he has probably just been on some big walk-abouts, or has become nocturnal. I wouldn't give up hope on the ol' boy yet.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I won't give up on him, but if I don't see him anymore opening day for me will be in another area. He was also so consistant with his times then bam, gone. Oh well