In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How long to get good with a bow?

StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
I'm all ready for rifle season, but I keep thinking about how lucky the bowhunters are. Their season starts earlier. Just curious, is a bow hard to learn? I doubt I could learn quick enough to hunt this year, but i do have a natural knack for anything involving accuracy. I'm figuring most of you got your abilities from countless hours of practice and follow through and experience. Realistically, would it be possible to get ready by next year?

Thanks for any insight,
Joe

Comments

• Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Yes. The more practice the better. I started getting serious and practicing everyday a few months ago. Right now I am accurate and confident enough to hunt out to 30 yards. Just get yourself setup and start practicing. You will know when you are ready.

Good luck!

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply and the encouragement, MrP. I think i'll look into getting a bow. Luckily, it usually takes me so long to research and make a purchase, i probably won't use it till next year. Which is good, i will want to be able to have good shot placement. You guys that are already into it though, lots of luck this year. I'll be lurking here maybe learn some things from you all and ask questions.

Joe
  • Options
    pacyewpacyew Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello StihlCuttinIt,

Depends a lot on your definition of "good". I've known quite a number of experienced bowhunters who were never what I would call good shots, but who always seemed to bring home the critters.

Getting real close can help one's accuracy a bunch. If you are good at getting close to game - you may be more than half way there already, before you've even started.

Jay
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to a bow shop get fitted for a bow you are comfertabl with and start practiceing. A deer has a 8" kill area, about the same size as a paper plate. When you can hit a paper plate at 10, 20, 30 yards you are about there. Go to a smaller target say the size of a softball and star over. Keep shooting at smaller and smaller taggets until you are confedant you can hit what you are aming at.
    I personaly shoot at very small targets, and about 30 arrows every day. When posibable I try to shoot at different times in the day. You never know when a deer will come into your shooting lane. I try to imagian shooting one hair on a deer in the vital area. Consertration is a big part of bow hunting and good form goes along with good shooting habits.
    Happy hunting
    Hornet
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    There is no reason if you are serious about shooting a bow that you you would not be ready for this season a bow has sights with dedicated practice you should be able to hunt in one month. [;)]Note if you can't pu at least 3 arrows in the in a 5" circle at 20 yards keep practicing. good luck you can do it[:D][:D]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Get a bow. Climb a tree. Put 'er on automatic.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    If you doubt your ability to hunt with a compound this season then go buy a crossbow then sell it next year and use the money for more accesories for your compound you'll be shooting like a champ by then. Or shoot the crossbow a while if you decide you like it.
    I hunt around Ritchie county some, to bad your pretty fur down south by Charleston.
    Good luck with whatever you decide. Hope to see you around the forum more.
    Jay

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I laid down the cash today. Whew! $596.00 and then all the accessories!!! Got me a Bow Tech Extreme VFT. 60 lb pull and i'm feeling it in places i never used before. Shot awhile at the indoor range and was putting them in a 5" circle pretty consistently. One group of 5 i could put my thumb and forefinger around. Just a fluke, that one, [:)], but i liked it. Lot of practice ahead, but i think it will be enjoyable. Without your encouragement, i wouldn't have thought it was possible. I only ever shot the old recurve bows, never very good at it, and actually never paid attention to all the advances that have been made in archery products. Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

Joe
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Glad to see you got a Bow.[:D] Goglen gonna be pissed it's not a Mathews[;)]Just kidding.[:D]welcome to Bowhunting I believe you will find it much more exiting than gun hunting. congrats[8D][8D]

BUCKEYBOY.[;)]
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "...I'm feeling it in places I never used before..." Yep, you use muscles shooting a bow you use for nothing else. Back shoulder muscles. Technique can help a bit as it sounds like you have the upper body tone. When you draw, push the bow away from you as you pull the string. Do this as you raise the bow to sighting level. You should be at full draw when you've got the bow up.