In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Draw adjustment question

mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
Hi; I have never bow hunted, and decided to go this year. I bought a used bow from a friend, and he told me a bow shop could adjust the draw to any weight I wanted. I'm 68 years old, and don't have the arm strength I used to, and could not pull the string back at all. I went to the shop, and the bow was set at 67 lb. They adjusted it to 57 lb. and I can pull it back, but with difficulty. How low can the bow be taken down. I feel I could draw 50 lb. I'd go to the shop again, but I'm kinda ashamed to have them lower it again. Would anyone know???????????
MIKE

Comments

• Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    on the limbs of the bow there will be a screw on each end that you can tighten and loosen. tighty righty lefty loosen by losening it will drop the weight while tightening it will make it harder to pull. make sure you turn each the same distance or your bow will explode. if you can not get it low enough they make bows now that are close to 90% let off letting older gentlemen like your self get back into bow hunting or in your case start

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Headzilla.MIKE

[/quote]
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of a bow did you buy? Most bows have an adjustment range of 15 lbs. it sounds like the one you have now is a 55 - 70 lb. bow in the case of mathews bows they have an adjustment range of 10 lbs.
    The screwss you loosen to drop the draw weight also hold your limbs on to the riser so if you loosen them too much the will come off. DON'T LOOSEN THEM TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    It is very important that you can pull your bow back after sitting in a cold-* tree for a couple of hours without motion. As with any hunting, shot-placement is much more important than power. Make sure you can draw it comfortably.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all of you for the advice. MIKE