In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Those who hunt from trees-Please look

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
Tis is going to be the first year I hunt from a treestand. I used to be quite fearful of tree stands, but I have been shooting from a tree stand for the past month, and I feel comfortable.
I am wondering how my shot placement is. In the photos below, I would be happy with those pois from the ground.. But from a tree, I am wondering if the arrow will exit too low, missing the second lung. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Sept232004001.jpg

Sept232004003.jpg

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
-Jimmy the cheese man

Comments

• gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    your shot placement looks good to me , remember even if you miss the off side lung , at least you should have a good blood tail to follow, that low hole on the off side should just pour blood from it ,, from the angle of your shot it doesn't look like you are very high up?
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    gskyhawk- No. 10' on the nose. The shot is 22 yards.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    thats about what I figured by looking at the target , I have a buddy that hunts that low all the time and he always gets his deer , myself I like to get a little higher have been known to go up as high as 28feet but usually stay around the 15 to 20ft mark
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gskyhawk
    myself I like to get a little higher have been known to go up as high as 28feet but usually stay around the 15 to 20ft mark

Ohhhh well maybe next year. It took a lot for me just to go up ten feet.
    When I was hanging the practice stand in my backyard, I was wrestling with the thing, trying to get it hooked up right, straight, etc. After finally getting it on the tree, I got up and sat in it. Looked down.....OH MY GOD. Started standing real slow, Felt like I was a mile high. When I finally got out of the tree, I COULD TOUCH THE STAND WHEN STANDING ON THE GROUND! It must have been 7' high-looked like a mile when I was up there. Went back up and put the stand up ten feet.
    I have to do a lot of things different up there. For example, when I am on the ground, I always inhale from the diaphragm as I draw, completely filling my lungs with air, and expanding my diaphragm for support. I cant do it while I am in the stand, feel like I am losing my balance-I think it is probably because I had to modify my standing position, due to the platform being small. I still take a breath upon the draw, but it isnt as "healthy".

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    I know the feeling , I use to be that way alot and still am if I'm up on some thing that I don't have any thing to hang on to or don't have a safty rope , the thing that has helped me alot is have a good safty system that you can trust , also some thing else that helps me is haveing the platform at a slight upward angle , its kind of like you are leaning into it , if that makes sense ? for me if the platform is level or worst at a downward angle , makes it real easy to lose my balance , [:D]
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dead deer walking...[xx(]
    Hey Salzo...sounds like you better toss and extra pack of those baby wipes in your back pack!! [:D][:0][:D] [;)]
  • dennisjohnsondennisjohnson Member Posts: 471 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a bad fear of falling..my best freind got me a generic type hunting harness from cabellas and i used it last year.would recomend EVERY stand hunter use them. once you get used to them you can "hang out "from the stand a ways and get shots that you would'nt have without it on.P.S....that takes practice too[;)]

dennis
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lmbhngr
    Dead deer walking...[xx(]
    Hey Salzo...sounds like you better toss and extra pack of those baby wipes in your back pack!! [:D][:0][:D] [;)]

Lmbhngr- Now thats the second time you cracked wise about my baby wipes. But Im willing to bet, that you are gonna be in the woods this year with a pack of baby wipes in your backpack[:D][:D]
    My momma told me you ALWAYS have to wash your hands after "resting"-she didnt say when crapping in the woods there was an exception to that rule.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    cleanliness is next to godliness, so take those baby wipes
    everywhere you go.

Your shots look good to me salzo, though I would consider hunting another area when that burn barrel is roaring away. [;)]

As far as the height of your stand goes, only do what your comfortable with. Buy some burlap or camo webbing and conceal your stand at a lower height. I don't like heights either, but I am fine once I get in the stand and straped in. I usually fall once a year out of a stand. Last year I fell about 12 feet climbing into my buddies stand and the year before I fell about the same distance while hanging one of my stands. Guess I have a bouncy type body cause so far I haven't been hurt other than briars and cuts. [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo...all in good fun brother. I'd never considered it butt, [:D], the wife thought is was a great idea! You may be right about the contents of my pack this year?! [;)] I only wonder if they'll attract deer [?]
    edited November -1
    lmbhngr- In addition to the baby wipes, a baby bottle and a pacifier also come in handy.[:o)][:o)][:o)]

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a good tip for all of you who are scared of heights...save some money and just stand on your tippytoes[:D]

I'm more worried about a tree falling on ME, than falling out of one. But most of you guy have me beat all to pieces because i haven't ever even got a deer. Venison talks, bullsnot walks.[:(]

Joe
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Stihl, we expect to see pictures of this years deer, just so you know in advance. [^][;)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I don't endorse it as I have never fallen to test it, but my buddies and I switched to a different safey harness a few years ago. I figured that rock climbers fall more than bow hunters. So ... I talked to a rock climber at a REI store who just happened to be a bow hunter as well. He thought it was a good idea, so we rigged me up with a climbing harness and static rope. I think it is static rope, anyway it is the kind rock climbers use, so when you fall it stretchs as opposed to "SNAPPING" to break your back etc.

We put the harness over our deer camo, use a carbiner to tie it together and have about 8 feet of rope tied to it and can walk to our stand and climb a tree. Then once in the tree we tie off the other end of the rope with a bowline knot and adust the length.

We also have the optional chest harness. Hope to never use it but I figure if guys can fall hundreds of feet in these rigs and live to tell about it, I should be safe falling 3 to 6 feet.

I think you must be kidding if you are worried about those shots. Nice shootin.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been hunting from tree stands from the first time I went bow hunting. Two things to remember. Shoot for the exit hole. And a deer will squat everytime you shoot at it so aim a little lower than you do when hunting on the ground. If you use pin sights they allways shoot high from a tree stand. A pedlium sight will elimanate that problem but they make more noise.
    Hornet
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hornet
    If you use pin sights they allways shoot high from a tree stand. A pedlium sight will elimanate that problem but they make more noise.

I spoke with afriend of mine who hunts from above. He said that if you bend from the waist, your point of impact will be the same, whether you hunt on the ground or a tree. I tried it, and it was right on.
    When I was shooting at targets less tha ten yards away(from a tree), my shots were hitting a few inches right- I realized that my draw arm was a little off center, and my elbow was not as high as I usually shoot. Put my elbow as high as I could, kept my armstraight, bent at the waist-back on again.

-Jimmy the cheese man