In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

almost time!!

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
Opening day tomorrow! Can't wait to get this day over with. will definately be a sleepless night. Leaving first thing in the morning to head to Southern Illinois for a fun filled time of throwing arrows. I hope anyway. Supposed to get down to 28 degrees sat. night I hope that will help get'em moving. [:p][:D][;)]

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I'd be hoping that the corn is harvested if I were you. What area are you heading to?

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ya, I noticed last weekend when I was down there that the corn wasn't comin' out to fast. I will be out east of Mt. Vernon between bluford and Wayne city. It will still be nice just to be sitting up in a tree. I probably won't see anything due to my eyes being closed. I've been known to get some good naps in up in the tree. Maybe not though I am so excited to be going I probably won't be able to close my eyes tonight or tomorrow. I suppose if I consume massive amounts of the favorite barley beverage, sometimes known as wobble pop, I should be able to at least pass out for awhile. [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    I suppose if I consume massive amounts of the favorite barley beverage, sometimes known as wobble pop...

In my neck of the woods, it's referred to as Arrow Straight. I know a guy in Wayne City with a Grocery Store/Check Station. If an older bullsh**er is checking your deer ask him if his name is Lyle. Tell him that Ben/Jayne's dirty car-salesman says hi. He'll understand.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe sometime this season we can get together and consume a few of the arrow straight. Would be nice to meet some of the people on the board. Have you ever hunted any of the Ten Mile Creek area? I got a permitt for there this year also.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nope, I've never been through the ten mile creek area. Gunrunner and taco both want to get together for some fun, also. We need to get something arranged.

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah yes opening day, I may not hunt for a week or two after it but haven't miss an opening in years. Seen alot of deer the last few days so hopefully tomorrow will be a good one. By 9am if'f it ain't got spots i'm throwin an arrow at it. They won't have the corn out on my lease land for about 2 more weeks. Ben, I take my meat to Clarks in Wayne City[:D] I grew up in Mt. Vernon and used to fish and hog Skillet fork river in Wayne county.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The guy that I know from Wayne City was a wholesaler, and a grocery store owner. I never really go to Wayne City, but I'd talk to him and show him vehicles at least twice a week.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Clarks that where we take ours too. So here's how my weekend went starting with Fri. All we got in on Fri. was an evening hunt. The first two passed behind me on the neighbors property nice size doe and a little one trailing behind. I actually got her to come back in a little closer with a couple gruts. But she never cossed the fence and turned and went on her marry way. The next set was a doe and yearling. doe never got close enough the yearling I should have taken but I thought mom would follow her in eventually. Sat. sick all friggin' day. never made it to the woods, terrible never been so sick in my life. Sun. morning. Started out bad, got turned around in the woods couldn't find my stand, [}:)] crunching brush, breaking twigs, starting to get light finally find my way. get to my stand by this time I don't even need my head light anymore, Could get my seat put on, clang and bang all the way up the tree. Now at this point I figure my day is ruined. I'm up in the tree (8am) totally spacing thinking of other crap have my hood pulled so far up (cause it was cold this morning) I could only see right in front of me. I hear the slow crunch of leave about ten feet from the tree I was in. I know at this point it's not a squirrel. I finally get turned to look turning very slowly and now she is walking under a sappling tree and turning the other way, No shot. 8:30 I see two more doe out about 50 yards I try grunting only response is the raised ears. Then they lay down. So I sit there and watch til a little after 9. I finally get hungry enough I start to get down and the deer still did not move. Now, I had lowered my bow with a rope attached so it is laying on the ground with the rope laying on top. I start taking my stand off the tree, the deer at this point get up one figures something isn't right and she takes off. The other doesn't follow her but is heading off at an angle in front of me so I scramble to to get the rope off my bow and an arrow nocked. I get that done and here come two bucks running right at me. Both stop 20 yards out, one must have heard my heart beating and he took off the other still stood there so I draw and wait there is just a little brush in the way, Ineed him to take one maybe two steps and he is mine. doesn't happen he ran straight away from me. stopping at 40-50 yards just to tease me and flip me the bird before trotting off. [:(!] However it was great to be in the woods and in a tree. [^]

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad