In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

getting started

earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
How would you all suggest getting started in bow hunting? I have hunted with everything else, including flintlock, but I want to get into archery. My daughter had fun with a bow at her girl scout camp, so it would be a good way for the old man and her to bond. What are the good stater sets?

Thanx,
Earl

Comments

• Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talk to archery hunting buddies and go to a reputable archery shop...find an individual that you are comfortable with and start the process. As you may have read in other threads on this forum there are many, many choices.
    As far as using every other means to hunt game with...you've saved the best for last!! Good luck & enjoy it.

Lmbhngr
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I may come under scrutiny for this. But, I believe that being able to shoot a long bow well translates to being able to really be deadly with a compound. If your daughter is young, I'd considershooting long bows for accuracy. If you plan on hunting with her really soon I'd go with a compound because being able to hold a draw is of paramount importance when waiting on your shot to open. But, if I was only a recreational shooter, it would be long-bow or recurve only.

As far as starter sets go, remember this: The bottom of the line bows you shoot with today(as far as decent brands go), were the top of the line seven years ago. Do not think you have to have the best to kill, because people did it with muchless for many years.

The minimum draw weight for Illinois is 40lbs to hunt. Since your daughter can probably not pull that kind of weight yet, you should probably get her a starter bow to shoot with, and if she shows Interest then spend the money to get her a nice bow.

I'd look at PSE for a good brand for both of you to begin on inexpensively.

Anyone else have any good starter brands???

You're bringin' her up right in my book.

Ben

Gosh!!! Does that make sense? I was about half-cocked when I wrote that.[xx(]

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    First off and welcome[8D] Secondly a few questions for you, so we can better answer you. How old is your daughter? Is she interested in hunting or just target? How much money do you think you want to spend? This will have an impact on how we can better answer your question.[;)] BuckeyBoy
  • Options
    earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx, all
    Charlie is 9, so in PA it will be a few more years before she hunts. I guess that I'll start her on the recurve as suggested. That is what they had at her camp. I might just get a couple of wally world specials to see if she really digs it before I lay down the big cash. Even then, will a good bow set-up run any more than a good rifle set-up? In that route, I plan to do the Rossi combo thing with the .22/.243/and the 20 ga to start her out before I buy the mdl 700. Thanx again,

Earl
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Thats probley a good decision Earl. She may show any interst at all by the time she's 12years old. If she's still interested then spend the $$ Buckeyboy.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I would not be afraid to start her using a release. What do the rest of you think?

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    10/4 ON THE RELEASE

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.