In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best Time to Rattle

AnumbnutAnumbnut Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
I was wondering when is the best time Start rattling. Muzzle loading starts this coming Saturday. should I wait to rattle more into the rut season?

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    hmm, I think if you are going to rattle, you should do it in the final days of pre-rut. I usually only call (rattle or otherwise) when I can see a deer that is waaaay out of range.

Ben(who has minimal experience calling deer)

I root for the logo_chc_79x76.jpg and anyone who is playing the Cardinals.gif
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It pains to say this but, I agree with Ben[:D]. Rattlin early can cause deer to get spooked easier. A few years ago I tried rattlin a buck early that was about 200 yards away and scared him off. I've also sound varying the intensity of rattlin can be affective. Like softer sparring then getting a little more intense.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    It pains to say this but, I agree with Ben[:D].

MWAAh HA HA HA HA!!!! <<<Evil Laugh>>>

I root for the logo_chc_79x76.jpg and anyone who is playing the Cardinals.gif
  • StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Anumbnut
    I was wondering when is the best time Start rattling.

Work it in between Shake and Roll and you be hip, Dude.[:D]

Joe
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a nice "maybe" buck come to the horns tonight 11 minutes after I finished a "friendly sparring" session. He came through so fast that I never had a chance to really size him up even though he stopped briefly at 27 yards broadside. He seemed very intent on following or looking for something and I could not get him to turn around once he passed through my shooting lane.
    I'll gradually intensify my calling as the month progresses and will turn up the heat by the end of the month...the first week of November. I always take into consideration the weather, frequency of hunting a particular stand, reading the sign in my area, etc.
    If a buck runs from my calling...he's not the one I'm looking for anyway. If a good shooter buck runs from my calling then he ain't "the man" or I may be doing something wrong???

Lmbhngr
  • AnumbnutAnumbnut Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the Info
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never had success rattling-but I watched two small bucks going at it in my backyard the first weekend in October.
    Funny, but all of the reading I have done on rattling says that the fights last only a minute or so-these two were going at it a good ten minutes.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    I have never had success rattling-but I watched two small bucks going at it in my backyard the first weekend in October.
    Funny, but all of the reading I have done on rattling says that the fights last only a minute or so-these two were going at it a good ten minutes.

I'm with salzo, I've never had enough sucess rattling to even speak of.
    salzo, I have wondered myself why most articles and shows say bucks only spare for only a minute or two. All the fights I've been lucky enough to see or hear lasted well over that.

Hey Anumbnut, how'd you come up with that user name? Have you tried any grunt calls or doe bleats yet?