In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Arrows Gone Wild

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
Anyone have a story to tell of "wildshots" with their archery shooting.Maybe an accidental release or richochet.

1-Powder
2-Patch
3-Ball
4-Remove the Rod
5-Do Not Forget the Cap.

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I've got one I think. One evening I was hunting and a big doe came in on me. I drew, followed her and released. I hit a 3in sapling about 2 yards in front of me. CRACK!!! That was 3 years ago, and that arrow is still burried in that tree. Since it is on family ground, it will be a reminder to me for the rest of my life.

Ben

I root for the logo_chc_79x76.jpg and anyone who is playing the Cardinals.gif
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    once my release just went off I shoot them very light and when they get wore in they need adjustment well it got wore in and I found out I needed adjustment by way of putting an arrow in the ceiling of the archery range I shoot at. All I had to say about that was OOPS
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    the shop i go to has the video screen to shoot at well one got not thinking came in awith his hunting quiver on his bow and shot the broadhead right through the screen only ocst him about 500 for that mistake

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw my neighbor shoot through his privacy fence and into another neighbors shed when his release went off un-expectadly. Earlier this year while shooting a 3-D course I bounced one off a tree and hit the 10 on a hog target. Tried to tell all it was planned that way but no one bought that[:D]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Not much of a story, I got a little excited on one of my first deer hunts and didn't pay attention to how many branches were in between the deer and myself. Looked like a cartoon it bounced around so much. I had to laugh at myself.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was bow hunting in Illinois around Allendale and I had a huge doe come out on me. I was wating for a clear shot when the doe steped behind a tree that forked. The vital area was framed in the fork. It was a nice 30 yard shot,what I like to call a sure thing. I drew and released and I centered the left fork with a resounding wack. It sounded like a pro baseball player hitting a home run. That doe fell down with here feet going 90 to nothing trying to get away. When she got up she ran in a small circle trying to decied witch way to go. I was laughing so hard I could not shoot even if the doe had stopped. That is what makes hunting interesting, nothing is a sure thing. I did manage to get my carbon arrow unscrewed from the broadhead. That broadhead is still in the tree. One day I hope the folks I hunted with will be able to hunt on that land again. I sure would like to hunt there again . I would also like to see that forked tree with a Magnus broadhead stuck in it.

Hornet
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Forgot to tell of my experienca with a rickochet.I was target shooting into a bale of hay when I had an arrow pass through the bale.I saw the arrow go airborn at maybe a 30 degree angle from which I was shooting down hill.It climbed again at a 20 degree (estimate)uphill and then flew a total now of 50 yds.right through my neighbors Dining Room window.

Well let me tell you ,it was only seconds before he came out (very irate)shaking my arrow at me.I appologized and told him I never dreamed that this could have happened.He was very understanding.I am sure glad nobody was in the Dining Room.

So happened that Mr. Woods worked for a Plate Glass Company and said he would replace the glass himself and it wouldn't cost either of us anything.I felt very relieved and lucky.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I accidentially released on a small doe one time. I worked my way along a fence row late one afternoon hoping to see something coming into a corn field to feed. Soon as I set up I saw her working her way straight to me. I watched then decided to draw and see how close she would get. Somehow my arrow ended up going through her neck, I stepped it off and when I hit her she was 13 steps (toe to heal) from me. I thought that was pretty cool for no blind or brush to break up my pattern. She wasn't any experienced whitetail, but it was neat.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent