In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Leather or rubber boots

StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
Someone was telling me not to wear my leather boots because leather holds too many human scents. Those big sloppy rubber ones like the farmers wear don't look too warm. Maybe get them bigger and wear my Sorrel liners.

Anyway, rubber boots, are going to smell like....rubber. Archery season comes in Saturday. Haven't had any time to practice those angle shots from tree stands, but i did measure off some distances at the stand and color code. Should i aim a little low, just to be safe?

Joe

Comments

• Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leather boots will hold foreign scents unless you keep them in a scent free bag and put them on when you get out of the truck to begin your hunt. Not to say that there aren't excellent leather hunting boots on the market, IMO there are just so many other better options, gore-tex, rubber, etc. I am a Rocky boot fan and the pairs that I hunt in are strictly worn hunting. I also have a pair of Muck Boots Woody Max that have rubber, heavy lugged soles and neoprene camo uppers...16" high. They waterproof, insulated, and are rated to -40F and I just wear a pair of cotton tube socks with them though that isn't the best choice for letting you feet breath. I always spray my boots down with a scent neutalizer spray and may add a drop of fox or * urine for a cover.

As far as shooting from elevated stands...I bend at the waist and hit my target. Unless I can't...bend at the waist. I'm sure the fella's will add plenty more useful posts. Good luck Saturday.

Lmbhngr
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rubber boots are the way to go. There are plenty of good insulated rubber boots on the market that will keep your feet warm.
    Always try and bend at the wasit to shoot from a tree stand. I have had to make several shots while sitting, got cought looking the wrong way. Taking a shot while sitting is not a problem but you should pratice it some first.

Hornet
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I have two different pairs of lacross rubber Boots. I have had them for two years. Don't take my word for it, put you nose to the boot and tell me they don't still smell like rubber. I prefer the Rubber boots, but Im not so sure they are a cure all.I think each boot has its place depending on where your hunting. I tried to wear Rubber Lacross 8oo gram in North Dakota. -14* -20* My feet froze. I had to wear my leather Lacross pack boots.Harvested the deer with the pack boots on. Draw your own conclusions[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have two different pairs of lacross rubber Boots. I have had them for two years. Don't take my word for it, put you nose to the boot and tell me they don't still smell like rubber. I prefer the Rubber boots, but Im not so sure they are a cure all.I think each boot has its place depending on where your hunting. I tried to wear Rubber Lacross 8oo gram in North Dakota. -14* -20* My feet froze. I had to wear my leather Lacross pack boots.Harvested the deer with the pack boots on. Draw your own conclusions[?]
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I wear rubber Northerner's and never killed a deer[;)], but they are very fashionable. [8D] Really though, I've shot deer wearing rubber boots and leather boots. However, after I started wearing rubber boots 6 years ago or so I did see many more deer while hunting and have had more consistant luck since then.
    I wouldn't go back to wearing leather boots for bow hunting.
    Just go buy a pair of $40 knee high rubber boots, not the * farmer type and bury them in a hole today and leave them in the dirt until you leave tomorrow morning.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a pair off redhead bone dry rubber boots that are 1200 g thinsulate. Haven't had cold toes in years plus the fact they are easier to mask human scent. I'm not as fashion conscious as Susp[:D] so I opt for warmth over style[;)]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension

Just go buy a pair of $40 knee high rubber boots, not the * farmer type and bury them in a hole today and leave them in the dirt until you leave tomorrow morning.

Rubber it is!! I filled them with leaves and buried them. They were only 22.00 at Walmart. I won't be walking much, and i'll wear two pairs of hunting socks if it's cold. May get something better with thinsulate later on.

Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Might be a good idea to invest in the insulated ones by mid November, maybe even sooner since them WV hills tend to get a bit drafting and cool.
    Do you hunt around Charleston all the time or do you ever venture north any? I hunt Ritchie county some, been two years though. My brother and I used to go to Cheat Mountain some two, I haven't been there for 4 years now.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Suspension,

I hunt mostly close to home, but also own some acreage in Jackson Co.

Went out yesterday, nothing stirring, not even a squirrel. The wind was real fast and blowing all over. The boots were got a little cold, even with two pairs of socks.

Joe
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Cabelas or LaCrosse Thinsulate 1200 with wool socks and you can hunt to -30F and stay warm. But you need a boot dryer as the rubber once wet inside is not all that great about keeping you warm.

Rubber is the way to go, but some rubber I think smells. I like to step in stinky stuff (deer poop, cow poop, mud, swampy things, etc.) before I get in the stand.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited November -1
    StihlCuttinIt, not sure where Jackson county is, but I may have passed through without knowing. [:)]
    I haven't been seeing as much as normal this year, to many does and not enough horns. It sure makes a 3 hour sit worth while if you can see a little antler, least in my book. [:D]
    You might want to try another brand of rubber boot, the Walmart ones are gonna make you catch a cold.
    Good luck

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boots? I bow hunt barefoot.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Suspension, Jackson and Ritchie are separated by Wood county. Maybe we'll run into each other some day, since it's such a small world.

About the boots, i spooked some deer (didn't get a shot) and the doe was pawing and snorting. Figured the area was ruined because they deposit a warning scent when they get scared and stamp their feet. so i left the stand and went walking up the trail. Looked back around bend and there's a deer following in my tracks about 100 yards back. Which proves the rubber boots must not leave a scent. But the trouble was when i stopped behind a tree and waited she didn't catch up. So, i'm trying to be quiet and get closer to see. Not very good to stalk in[:(].... they clomp when you bend your ankle.
    Finally had to go to top of rise to see what happened. She had veered off the trail to get down wind. She was eyeballin me, then pranced uphill a little. That must have been when she caught my scent, and she was gone.
    I think it was all the noise that clued her in to check the wind. Otherwise she might have proceeded up the path.

Oh well. I'll stick with leather till i get someplace with a good selection.

Joe
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Stihl, I have never heard of deer depositing a 'warning scent', are you sure that is true? I would like to know, because that is very interesting.

Also, it is likely that that doe did have a scent on your trail and was following it out of curiosity. That happens all the time. A big deer will usually stop, look, and methodically back out of the situation. However, a younger deer will sometimes just keep their nose to the ground and follow the scent right to you.

Ben

I root for the logo_chc_79x76.jpg and anyone who is playing the Cardinals.gif
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Stihl, I have never heard of deer depositing a 'warning scent', are you sure that is true? I would like to know, because that is very interesting.

This is true. They have glands between their toes, I think they are called "interdigital glands".
    You know all of those times you had a deer looking at you right in the eyes, ten yards away? They bang their hoof on the ground. Sometimnes once, sometimes a few times. The deer is dispersing a scent that says "danger". Actually, they always disperse the scent, but when they bang their hoof, it disperses more, which tells the other deer in the area that things arent right. If another deer comes into the area later on, and smells the scent, it will be skittish.
    They actually sell the stuff in bottles. Some say it is a good scent to hang on a boot drag, because deer always emit this scent HOWEVER, you do not use too much-if you do, the deer will get spooked.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by StihlCuttinIt
    Suspension, Jackson and Ritchie are separated by Wood county. Maybe we'll run into each other some day, since it's such a small world.

About the boots, i spooked some deer (didn't get a shot) and the doe was pawing and snorting. Figured the area was ruined because they deposit a warning scent when they get scared and stamp their feet. so i left the stand and went walking up the trail. Looked back around bend and there's a deer following in my tracks about 100 yards back. Which proves the rubber boots must not leave a scent. But the trouble was when i stopped behind a tree and waited she didn't catch up. So, i'm trying to be quiet and get closer to see. Not very good to stalk in[:(].... they clomp when you bend your ankle.
    Finally had to go to top of rise to see what happened. She had veered off the trail to get down wind. She was eyeballin me, then pranced uphill a little. That must have been when she caught my scent, and she was gone.
    I think it was all the noise that clued her in to check the wind. Otherwise she might have proceeded up the path.

Oh well. I'll stick with leather till i get someplace with a good selection.

Joe

Hey neighbor! Man it is a small world. I looked up a county map, actually we go directly across Wirt county from you. we hunt where Wirt and Ritchie meet in the southeastern corner of the Wirt, southwest of Ritchie. We pass through Munday, WV and hunt about 20 miles from there in Ritchie county. Crazy huh. Maybe we will meet up sometime. I doubt either of us goes down this year though, we normally try to if we are going to hunt rifle season through Thanksgiving, but our mom requested a big family get together this year so we'll be having beers and turkey instead of hunting. [:D]
    I'm from Tuscarawas county Ohio.
    The boot clomp you mentioned does suck. It burns me every year at least once. I tend to flex my feet while I'm in my stand and if a deers under me they always hear that clomp from the rubber boots. Oh well though. [:)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Sus sounds like you guy's might possibley be related[?][:0][:0]