In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bleat calling

AnumbnutAnumbnut Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
When is it a good time to start using a bleat call? And,Or would a buck grut be best this time of year?

Comments

• Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anytime is an acceptable time to use a bleat call. Now is the time to begin using a grunt call...at least in the midwest with the rut fast approaching.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    A-numb-nut. ok man.[?] Some guys with a perfecty good name like Richard. Choose to call themselvs "Dick" never the less, just me I don't blind call if a deer is going the other way I may throw a grunt or bleate depending on the deer.[:I] most time I just try to sit and be as quite as possible.
  • Options
    AnumbnutAnumbnut Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well buckeyboy If my wife chooses to call me a numbnut after 10 years so be it! She could be calling me a DICK ohh I mean Richard[:D] lol So fair to say its a good time to use Doe urine?
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I agree with buckey. But, I did bleat yesterday. The only reason I did was that:
    1. I had a doe 85 yards from my stand that was not going to approach.
    2. I only had 15 minutes of daylight left.
    3. I am not hunting that place for a few weeks, I was not worried about spooking the deer in the area.

In other words, I had nothing to loose. I bleated 3 times in 10 minutes. I got the deer's attention the first time then waited a few minutes. She did not approach so I bleated again. She started to approach and then began to eat beans. I bleated one more time, even though I knew she was uncallable. That 3rd bleat made her go back to her bedding area.

Ben
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    i had a fawn bleat at me last nite

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I'm about beat after today, but so far this year I haven't heard any bleats. Purely personal but I rarely ever bleat unless it's during full rut, or if the can falls outa my pocket.[:D]
    Grunt, bleat, rattle, may as well rub our heads against trees and mark our stands while we're at it. Some things can get out of hand. This year so far I haven't carried my horns or bleat with me and I'm only taking one grunt call just in case I need something to stop in a certain spot or at least slow down.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent