In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scent Loc Base Slayers

StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
I just bought a top and bottoms scent loc liners that are made like long johns, except they're black. Brought them home and was reading the package and it talks like you're supposed to wear them with some special scent block "outer wear." I got these because i already paid a lot for regular, plain camo, and i just wanted to wear these under and save money. Will the liners work by theirselves, or should i take them back? I can't afford to go out and get the other stuff, if you have to wear them together.

Joe

Comments

• Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will "help" mask your human scent but, for maximum effectiveness you'll need to wear the outer layer. If you do wear just the liners you'll need to take every precaution to keep your other/outer camo layers scent free otherwise, the liners are just an expensive set of fart catchers. [:D]
    I don't know how many dead presidents you had to part with to get the liners but, for probably a C-note...give or take a few $...you could probably get into a set of Scent Blocker on ebay. There's one dude that sells quite a bit of it. Wish I had stumbled onto him before I spent $500 on everything a couple years back.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Wash in baking soda and keep your clothes outside in a scent loc bag/tub. Normally you can find bulk size baking soda at places like Sam's Club or BJ's that are fairly well priced. I use 2 large boxes each season.
    I don't have any scent loc clothes, just a nature good smell to myself. [;)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Yea, I wear scent lock too Im sure it helps a little but, "Forget the wind just hunt" try it and you will never see a deer, well maybe his *. A guide in North Dakota showed me some stuff too do. Cost no money but a pain in the butt. 1. Put you hunting cloths in a scentloc bag mix leaves some dirt ect on the cloths leave them in there for a few days. Remove them with rubbr gloves shake them out and return them to the bag. 2. Your boots get some mud dirt ect even if you boots are rubber, get a stiff brush scrub your boots thouroughly leave the remains on the boots. 3. Your bow keep you bow in a scent lock bag also after spraying it down. wrist strap and bow string will hold scent. all the way down to your pull up rope use nylon as it absorbs less human odor. walk only so close to yours tand carry in the bag with the clothing your going to hunt in and get changed in the woods. I thought this guy was a nut bag but by the end of the week I had deer directly down wind that had no idea I was there I was amazed. Dosen't cost money but boy its a lot of work to do it this way. Most importantly. scent loc hood if you do nothing else cover your head skin and hair folicle shed like crazy and deer easily key on on this. hope ive been some help. Sometimes I'm to lazy to follow my own advise. [;)]
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to hunt with this 62 year old guy, he was tough we would probably whip all of our buts put together. If he would see a skunk dead on the side of the road he would stop and pick it up to hang below his treestand, which wasn't really a treestand anyway just a branch he would sit on. That guy used to get deer all the time. Just an interesting tip I would never do it as I couldn't stand the stank.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lmbhngr

I don't know how many dead presidents you had to part with to get the liners but, for probably a C-note...give or take a few $...you could probably get into a set of Scent Blocker on ebay.

Thanks Lmbhngr. I'll look on ebay. I wore the liners today, so can't take them back. But to answer your question, they were $56 for the top and $56 for the bottom. The little lady wants to start buying Christmas stuff.... She don't have to buy me nothin, though. I cashed in some high dollar veneer trees and paid off some bills, and bought a good bow with the rest. Now i have to watch my money close and buy her something she'll really like. It's still two months, that's plenty of time to Christmas.

Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The baking soda, leaves, dirt all sound like good ideas. I'll have to pass on the dead skunk, though.[xx(] Buckyboy';s routine does seem tough to follow, but i do at least have a scent loc hood i bought earlier.

Did anybody ever cut off a doe's tail and hang it up with some scent? Was reading that tip in an old isssue of Field and Stream magazine.

Joe
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Its real tough to follow but this dude lives by it and you should see the deer he gets consistantly. I have to believe there is somthing working for him. I believe in a little luck but to get trophy animals year after year. you gotta be doing somthing right.[:D][:p]