In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Draw Length

gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
Hey guys how do I determine what my draw length will be, should be, or is. It seems to vary by the 1/2 inch. Can this be changed on a bow or is it 100% set in stone?

Thanks
Nadine

Comments

• gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Ok guys, how do you select the draw length of the bow you are going to buy? I have had 1 shop tell me I'm a 31" draw and another tell me I'm a 30 1/4" draw, so he will make a 30" bow work. If you are familiar with the Mathews line, you realize the impact of being able to shoot a 30" draw vs. a 30 1/2" draw. I just don't want a shop to "make a 30" bow work" when I should have bought a different bow and shoot a 30 1/2" draw or 31" draw. I know being short on draw is better than being long, but I don't want to mess this up.

By the way, what do you think of the Drenalin LD?
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    It depends on the bow, and your release(if you are going to use one). Some bows can be adjusted some can't. This is the one thing that you will want to have measured by a pro. Being close is not good enough. You really want your bow to fit you.

Ben

I root for the logo_chc_79x76.jpg and anyone who is playing the Cardinals.gif
  • StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can answer this one for you, because i just got measured about a month ago. They have you stand straight and hold both arms straight out in front of you. Then they take a tape measure and put it in the middle of your chest to determine how long your arms are. Bring hubby along to the bow shop and he can hold the tape. Some of those bow shop "experts" aren't very professional..... if you know what i mean.

Joe
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by fishermanben
    It depends on the bow, and your release(if you are going to use one). Some bows can be adjusted some can't. This is the one thing that you will want to have measured by a pro. Being close is not good enough. You really want your bow to fit you.

Ben
    So, if I use a release the length should be shorter... right?
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    yes, just slightly though.

Ben

I root for the logo_chc_79x76.jpg and anyone who is playing the Cardinals.gif
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Gaggirl, Measurements can be very tricky you better head out to buckeyboys "EXPERT" pro shop and I can help you with measurements.[}:)]
    edited November -1
    thanks buckyboy... headed that way... send me some cash for diesel tho..
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    "See Guy's Expert", Thanks Gagirl cash for fuel is on the way.HA HA HA bennyboy, [:p]
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your draw length will have to be determined at the pro shop as it can vary depending on your form and the bow you decide to go with. Remember you will want to keep your bow arm slightly bent as this will help not only with consistency but also avoiding the dreaded string slap. Your pro shop should be able to help you with not only developing your form but also draw length determination.
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jesus string slap with a compound hunting bow[xx(]!! I've been hit with a 25 pound recurve a few times and that gave me a 3 square inch bruise and a little trickle of blood. My 70 # compound would propably cut of my arm.
    ps. sorry Buckey, I promised to stay away untill christmas, but failed.[:D]
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I've had string slap before, as a matter a fact I had it a few times. Mostly just from not paying attention when shooting. It is bearable and I'm sure it won't take off your arm Martes. [;)]

hey martes, did you see I finally got a picture of our lab to post, told you I would back when you posted your two vicious hounds. [:D][;)] the little woman has been snapping pictures like crazy with her new camera, hopefully that won't wear off until after hunting season ends. [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    A lady that bow hunts and drives a diesel, WOW where can I find one of these!! [;)][}:)][:D]

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad
    edited November -1
    You just did but she is spoken for HAHAHA.
    edited November -1
    Yeah spoken for but you can borrow me if you promise to return me with tons of archery knowledge. What like I am going to tell? [;)][}:)]
    edited November -1
    You have yourself a deal there.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    [:0] I really don't know what to say.[:I] I would return you with knowledge, and some would be about archery too.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad