In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why am I veering right?

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
Im new to hunting above ground. Been practicing a lot, have a few tatgets set up in my backyard, 10, 20, 25 yards. Been shooting very well, ten feet off the ground.
I took a few shots from the ground, and I am wayyy off target. Was hitting very far to the right. To make a long story short, I have been going through hell the past couple of weeks because I cant get any consistency on the ground. I stayed out of the trees, practiced on the ground, got inside a 4 inch target consistently out to 25 yards. I go back up in the trees, and I am am hitting a good 4 to six inches right. What is it that is causing my windage to be so off when I am elevated. Any suggestions would be a big help. By the way, I am left handed.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
-Jimmy the cheese man

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Could be your broadheads are plaining differently on an angle[:0] Try shooting a feild tip from the tree see what happens, then shoot a broadhead from the tree. Then get on the ground and repete the process. This will give a better idea of what the heck is going on. P.S. be concious that your not tourqueing the bow in the tree. let us know[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont know if this was the problem, but I think it might have been a couple of arrows that were off. I was shooting five at a time. I started to notice that 3 arrows were always way off, while two were pretty close. I numbered each arrow, the best one being one, the worst five. Mixed them up, shot them without knowing which one I was shooting-1 was always best 2 was always close to one, and the other three were off. I checked the broad head, all three had either a cracked tocar, or the blades were seriously bent. Put different tocars and blades, gonna try again this afternoon.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you solved your own problem. Are you shooting aluminums or carbon?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    IM BACK IN THE ZONE!!!!(I hope).
    I am not sure if the equipment was contributing to my bad shooting, but I know my form was.
    When I shoot from the ground, I always raise my back elbow to the point where I can feel my back arm muscle. As soon as I feel that pull, that is where I set my draw arm.
    Since I have been shooting from an elevated position, I didnt notice that my draw arm was not going as high as on the ground. I guess the fact that I am shooting downward, and have had to shift my stand a little, I didnt notice the arm situation. When I got back on the ground, I was doing the same thing-I guess the bad arm was more forgiving when elevated, because on the ground, I was all over the place.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    salzo--sounds like your problem is solved. I have found that my arrows will go right when shooting from awkward positions. Seated facing 180-degrees away from the target, 90-degrees from the target and kneeling/crouching. This is because I have a tendency to peek to see if I made the shot when I should be watching the flight of the arrow thorough the sights.
  • Options
    toocarztoocarz Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more thing....if you are shooing comfortably on the ground, your bow is most likely level. If you are in a tree, or another position, you may be tipping your bow a bit. That will cause the arrow to be right or left of target, depending on which way your bow is cantered.