In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone using scents?

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
I havn't used any yet, but thinkin' about some doe pee this weekend. Kinda learned a hard lesson about those little plastic, one-time-use,scent squirters last year.

Ben

I root for the logo_chc_79x76.jpg and anyone who is playing the Cardinals.gif

Comments

• Options
    Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always looking to learn from others mistakes.....What happened?? About the only scents I've ever used are the plastic biscuit cover scents.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I was using those one-time use scents that come in the little tube with the twist off tip/cap. I was almost to my stand, and my hands were full, so in true sportsman fashion I bit onto the cap and twisted it off. One problem though--I was squeezing the tube. Long story short--I gotta mouthful of doe-n-heat[xx(]. I didn't have anything to drink, so after spitting for a couple of minutes I picked up some acorns to chew on and climbed my tree.[8D] Oddly enough, it didn't taste near as bad as what I would have thought. In other words, I didn't puke, and I could see the humour. I don't think I'd do it again voluntarily unless there was some cash involved.

Ben
  • Options
    Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About the only story I've heard to better that was my friend who peed on an electric fence. The land owner where he hunted put up a new electric fence around the house, and we arrived at night. I've never heard a yelp like that out of a man before or since.[}:)]
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Ben, I can't even think of anything to say about that. I sorta feel sorry for you. I can only imagine how that musta taste.
    I spilled some homemade * lure one time in my parents basement, after that mom made me keep all my trapping stuff in the barn all the time.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ben, I always use fresh earth sent, it works were ever I hunt. I also use a sent lock suite. First year I purchased it I took my limit of deer here in Mississippi, 3 bucks, 3 does. Not all were with a bow though.

Hornet
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did something completely different/odd last year. I put all of my hunting clothes and gear in my outdoor storage closet (just off the balcony of my apartment). I lit a couple of those deer-attractant incense sticks and smoked all of my hunting clothes. I saw a TON of deer last year. Probably at least a dozen in 1 1/2 days. I could have had a nice big buck if I was just patient. I figured I wouldn't be seeing anymore before I had to get out of my stand so I took a big doe.
  • Options
    StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman, what kind of incense sticks did you use??? Was it doe smell or some kind of food smell, like apples or what???

Joe
  • Options
    mansonmanson Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the apple smell in a spray bottle before because I had an apple tree right next to my stand and I got a big doe. but I got some doe piss on my hand before and I thought it smelt pretty bad. I cant emagin the taste of it.
    -michael
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just had a rude comment about the human equivalent but I'll keep it to myself.

Remember the narration at the beginning of "Love in an Elevator" by Aerosmith? Now put that phrase in the picture with a deer in heat.
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    do you qualify to play the blond card on this one Ben? if not I will loan you mine...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey...don't knock blondes [:D]
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    Hey...don't knock blondes [:D]

Aint knocking them... I am one
  • Options
    edited November -1
    qualify for the blonde card? probably. but, I very seldom make a mistake. I'm damn near perfect, but occasionally I do have brain farts that cause me to act before I can think. It's a tough condition, but I get by....one day at a time.

Ben

• Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    qualify for the blonde card? probably. but, I very seldom make a mistake. I'm damn near perfect, but occasionally I do have brain farts that cause me to act before I can think. It's a tough condition, but I get by....one day at a time.

Ben

OK I couldn't resist, near perfect? Watch it ya won't be aloud to sing the song anymore. Oh lord it's hard to humble, when yer perfect in every way.[:D]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Funny taco, my uncle sings that song at deer camp about damn near every night.

Ben

• Options
    riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good cover scents are ok but attractants are a bad idea IMHO but try it and see if it works - good luck