In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone have this happen?

Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
Yesterday morning, I was sitting in my tree stand when a nice 8-point walked out at about 20 yards. [:p][:p] He didn't look too concerned for his own safety, but seemed to have other things on his mind. I stood up in my tree stand to get a shot, and drew. Just as I was getting my sights on him, he quickly walked away to ~35 yards. He never looked in my direction, and I still don't think he knew I was there. When he stopped at 35 yards, he was quartering away and looking away from me over his shoulder. You need to picture this in your head to get the rest of the story. A buck, quartering away, looking away from you over his shoulder, lines his head and antlers up over his vital area. Now is where that becomes an important part of this story...As I said, I had already drawn. I estimated the distance, put my sight just behind his shoulder, and released. I watched my arrow start to arc in his direction, perfectly on line, when he did what all nice bucks tend to do, he ducked. (Remember, I shoot a 12 year old, low-end PSE, i.e. loud and not real fast.) Now back to how he was standing, quartering away, looking back over his shoulder. In that position, when he dropped, it dropped his antlers right in line with my arrow. I watch my arrow hit his rack with a nice lout CRACK, then watch him run off through the woods with my arrow stuck in his rack.[:(][:(] I am at least grateful that I didn't just wound him when he ducked, but I would hate for someone else to shoot that deer with the arrow in his antlers and comment on the idiot archer who tried to shoot a buck in the head and missed! Well, hopefully I'll get another shot at him in a couple of weeks.

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    So Islander tell me what did you learn from this expierence? "I think ya had" [:D]"BA BA BA BUCK FE FE FE FEVER[B)]"WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK. THIS STORY WAS KINDA THOUGHT UP ON THE WAY HOME TO SAVE FACE.[}:)] jUST KIDDING MAN[:0] SORRY YOU DIDDENT GET HIM.[:(] HE MIGHT HAVE GOT A WIFF OF YA[xx(] OR THEY CAN ALMOST SEE BEHIND THEMSELVES SO HE MAY HAVE CAUGHT ENOUGH MOVEMENT JUST TO MAKE HIM NEVEROUS.[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Buckey, I know what you are saying, and at 35 yards, I was considering not taking the shot if I didn't feel like I had a steady hold on him to make the shot count. I was actually surprised at how steady I was taking aim. When I released the arrow, I was SURE that I was going to be tracking soon. I must say, watching a buck run away with your arrow in his head gear is a strange sight though.[:I][:I]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Islander, at least his friends will believe him.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I just wish you would have had a tree mount video recorder, I'd be talking to the next funniest home video winner, betcha get a lot of money to.
    I try to picture that entire moment in my head, but keep laughing to much. You can rest assured that buck had one heck of a headache, if it makes you feel any better. [;)]

ps: nothing like that has ever happened to me.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Islander, I was just teasing ya,[B)] Last year I saw a buck in Illinois an average 8 pointer crossing a feild with an arrow sticking up out uf his butt. you just got the other end.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Buckey, I killed a buck one year when I arrowed it in the butt. He was chasing does around my stand and would not stop for anything so after his 5th or 6th past the base of my stand I took a running shot on him and hit him in the butt. I got an artery and he only went 60 or 70 yards. Not proud of taking the shot, but I was young and only wanted antlers. [:I]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now that you said that, If ya know where to hit in the butt it's a deadly shot.[:p] Famoral artery[:p] they don't go far. Ive made some pretty questionable shots in the past I think any one who has bow hunted has done this at one time or another.[:I][:I]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    true. I have no idea what you just called that artery, but the one I hit sure did bleed a bunch. [:o)]

If this forum doesn;t liven up some this morning I'm going to start posting political stuff, that'll get somebody fired up. [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    I think it may be time for Gagirl to make a visit taht should get the bucks up and running.[:p][:p]
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Islander1989
    Well, hopefully I'll get another shot at him in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully, you wont get another shot-the next one mightwound him. Arent you the poster who recently started shooting again? And you think you have business to be taking 35 yard shots?
    You have no business bowhunting at all, much less taking 35 yard shots.

In a nutshell, considering your experience, the chances that you are going to miss or wound an animal are much greater than the chances of you haresting a deer.

I think there should be a law that in order to be allowed to bow hunt, one must practice for a year before going into the woods.

No offense intended, but whenever I hear or se guys going in the woods with a bow that they started shooting a couple of weeks before the season, or worst yet, they bought a couple of weeks before the season opener, it makes me want to vomit.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lighten up Salzo[:)] You never in your bow hunting career took a marginal shot? Thats like the freshmen in the locker room who said he never in his life pulled his winkie[:D] If you say no you are most likly lieing [}:)]if you say yes it was most likely when you were a beginning bowhunter. I do agree with you about being ethical and fair to the animals we hunt, but as you know when there is a rack in front of you and your in that "adrenilin zone" we tend to work on instinct instead of thought process. I hope he does get another shot to see if he has learned from his mistake. even the pros make a crappy shot on occation they just don't show you that on TV because it would not promote their sales image. lets face it no "good" hunter would intentinally wound an animal never the less it will always happen. Hope you don't mind my point of view. [:I]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    buckeyboy- I see your point of view, but I still think he had no business taking that shot.

35 yards is too far for someone with his experience.
    He shot at a deer whose vitals were being obstructed by antlers!!
    35 yards, vitals obstructed, and you shoot??

And I am still trying to figure out how a deer, which is quartering AWAY can get his head and antlers in front of his vitals.
    I think the deer was probably qwArtering towards, which makes the shot even more difficult. How can a deer be quartering away, looking in the opposite direction of the hunter, and have his antlers between the hunter and the vitals???

And as far as my own personal experiences-yes I have missed. Twice with a gun, once with a bow. I missed with the bow because it was just before dark, and could not see the brush in front of the deer. If it was fifteen minutes earlier, I would not have taken the shot, I would have seen the brush. Was it my fault? It sure was. I should have known that considering it was a very thick area, taking a shot at sun down was a dangerous shot. I learned my lesson.
    But I do not see HOW ANYONE could shoot at an animals vitals, when they se an obstruction in front of those vitals.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    buckeyboy- I see your point of view, but I still think he had no business taking that shot.

35 yards is too far for someone with his experience.
    He shot at a deer whose vitals were being obstructed by antlers!!
    35 yards, vitals obstructed, and you shoot??

quote:Islander1989 Posted - 11/01/2004 : 2:56:42 PM
    As I said, I had already drawn. I estimated the distance, put my sight just behind his shoulder, and released. I watched my arrow start to arc in his direction, perfectly on line, when he did what all nice bucks tend to do, he ducked. (Remember, I shoot a 12 year old, low-end PSE, i.e. loud and not real fast.)

Sounds to me like he made a decision, took the shot, deer ducked and messed up the shot. It's good he did not wound the animal, but if someone feels comfortable at shooting 35 yards (and I know a lot who do) then so be it. Myself, I would probably hold on a 35 yard shot mainly do to the bow I use. Hand me Buckey's new Mathews and I'll let one fly. [:D]

(thoughts from Jay's interior) [;)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    I hear ya Salzo. But when we are exited we do strange things and the realizim of the moment can get distorted. The truth is I believe he was very neverous and forced a shot he most likely should not have taken, and none of us want to be embarassed in front of another hunter so the explanation is somtimes blury. I'll bet this will make him a better hunter. What ticks me off is hunters who repediatly make bad shots make no effort to improve or only track an animal for an hour and give up then they go back in the stand to try and kill again.[:(!]those are they pukes of the bowhunting world and I don't believe they represent any of the guys or girls on this forum.Just by talking through e-mail I would hunt with any of the guys, especially GAGIRL[;)] Islander better luck next time. Like Clint Eastwood says "Mans got ta know his limitations"[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just to clear up a couple of points, I didn't just start shooting again in the past couple of weeks. I hadn't bow hunted in 7 years before I started again last year. I have been shooting religiously 2-3 times a week for the past 6 months, just like I did before the season last year. I agree that a 35 yard shot is marginal, and maybe I shouldn't have taken it, but I have made shots like that before. I practice shooting to 40 yards, with 5" groups, so I felt I could make the shot. The antlers were not in between me and the vitals of the animal. The antlers were above the vitals because he was looking over his shoulder. When he dropped down at the sound of the shot, his antlers were now where his body was when I released. I considered not taking the shot because like all of y'all, I don't want to wound an animal, but my hold was steady, and I felt I had a good chance of making a clean kill. Before I left my stand, I shot a field point at the base of a tree at the same distance the deer was to make sure I made a good shot like I thought I did, but the deer ducked. That arrow hit the tree 2" to the right of where I aimed and at the correct height. That confirmed the fact for me, that my shot was on target, but the deer ducked the arrow. I am not new to bow hunting, I hunted for quite a few years before I quit, and I know what my abilities are. I cannot control the reaction of the animal though. After this, I probably will not take a 35 yard shot, but when your bow is drawn, it is a judgement call, and we don't always make the most conservative decision. If the deer had stood at 20 yards for 5 more seconds, I feel confident that I would have had a clean kill. Unfortunately, he didn't, and I took a shot at what I thought was close to the limit of my ability, and it didn't work out. Maybe you would have made a different decision, but I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great explanation Islander. I didden't think you were a hacker. no one means any offence[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah, I hear ya, Islander. There is not one among us that can say that they've never missed.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ben, I have NEVER missed....................

a meal [:D][;)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    WOOOOOOOO [:0]Ben a little compitition in the witt department from Suspension. never missed ---- A meal Good one Sus.[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Islander-My apologies. I read your post wrong.
    I am ashamed.[V][V][V]

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    Islander-My apologies. I read your post wrong.
    I am ashamed.[V][V][V]

-Jimmy the cheese man

NEVER admit a mistake, seems to me like Buckeyboy caused confusion on this topic, so I consider him to blame. [^][:D][;)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ya know what sus, I was only trying to get the forum going after your comment this morning. Thanks for the compliment[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oops[:0], I was hoping you wouldn't read that. [:I][;)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ya gotta admit Sus, This guy can stir the pot. like you can eat.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, I agree [:)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    WOOOOOOOO [:0]Ben a little compitition in the witt department from Suspension. never missed ---- A meal Good one Sus.[^]

Suspensionson is learning Thai wit combat very well. aiiii!!

Ben

• Options
    edited November -1
    Common, Islander tell us another story please.[}:)][}:)][}:)][:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: Common, Islander tell us another story please.
    quote:Originally posted by Islander1989
    Well this one time, at deer camp, I stuck a grunt call....

And not that one.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Funny, funny, funny.........
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    I think it may be time for Gagirl to make a visit taht should get the bucks up and running.[:p][:p]

Hey now... what me visit? ok well tell me when ... bags are packed... and hey I have an arrow on my butt too... nevermind....[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok I won't ask what direction it's pointing.[:p][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:0][:0][:0][:I]

• Options
    edited November -1
    It's not the direction that matters as much as the proximity.

Ben

• Options
    edited November -1
    What is this place coming to? An arrow on someone's butt and Islander1989 did what in band camp? my o my

• Options
    edited November -1
    It's the beginning of November, Susp. What else could you expect. Remember: You just got married, so it has hit you harder than most.[;)]

Ben

• Options
    edited November -1
    That must be it Ben. Married life sure isn't what I thought it would be, can't get her to join the local swingers club with me so I don't know what we're gonna do all winter once the snow flies. [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    [:p][:D][:p][:D][:0][:D]Funny ca-ca, susp. Damn funny ca-ca!

Ben

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm so embarressed, I meant SINGERS club, honest...[^]
    [;)]

• Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

Hey I think the proximity is just fine Ben. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

Hey I think the proximity is just fine Ben. [:D]

lol, I's just kiddin'. You're right. Can I have a treat?[:D]