In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Open on Impact.................

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
Anyone have experience shooting Deer with those open on impact type arrow heads.Do you think they are more effective.

I have been told they are more accurate because they are more like a field point while in flight.

I wonder how they might be effected by hitting a bone such as a rib or shoulder bone.

Can the blades be replaced easily?

I am confused at times.

We park on driveways,

and drive on parkways.

1-Powder
2-Patch
3-Ball
4-Remove the Rod
5-Do Not Forget the Cap.

Comments

• Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I've killed a few deer using mechanical broadheads, but rather use fixed. I never had a mechanical fail during use, but have heard numerous people say they don't always open. I figure why chance it.
    I believe headzilla posted some charts awhile back that gave a lot of broadhead information. Might look for that and see if it helps.

I'm not sure about how they do with bone and I've never replaced any blades in the ones I had.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They work great and take a heck of a lot of work out of trying to tune a fixed blade broadhead on a carbon arrow. I have never had one fail
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    from what ive read the only reason that they have not opened was because people used a bow that was to slow to shoot them. on the pakages it says only use if shooting over xxx amount of feet per second

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    mansonmanson Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot a doe and all three of the blades didnt open up. I only had 2 open and it didnt even go all the way through the deer. I only got one of the lungs bug it still went down. I'm just going to use regular broadheads from now on. but I dont have to worry about em until late season cause its shotgun season on saturday. hell yeah.
    -michael
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    manson did u shoot it at a steep? angle or an old bow

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The local bow shop sold me solid blades but then i read on the "hunters friend" that the Bow Tech VFT is one they recommend using the mechanicals. I exchanged the regulars for the mechanicals. It stablizes flight of the arrow just like s.gun said and make it perform like a field point. Also, you can't cut yourself so easy on them.

Joe
  • Options
    hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot the Grim Reaper mechanical broadhead and love them. I've been hunting with mechanical broadheads the past two seasons and have killed quite a few deer with them. The Grim Reaper is the best on the market in my opinion.

"The only thing you do better than me is drive that Diamante, and that's just because I've never been in it!"--Little John

Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well when I shot my doe I was in my deer stand and its a home made stand in a tree and its about 16ft in the air and the doe was only about 10 yards away from me. but I aint going to use them anymore. I love the way they shoot though. I love how they fly like the field tip but I just have had nothin but bad luck with them. and I am shooting a new bow. I just got it last year. but last year I shot at a buck and it heard the string or something and it looked back and I shot it in the neck and it ran and I waited like a half an hour and I tracked that buck for 2 hours and never found it. and the arrow didnt go threw the deer that time too. and my dad shot one this year and it didnt go through. so I'm not useing them anymore.
    -michael
  • Options
    hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Grim Reaper has gone through every time I've shot an animal with them. The second deer I killed this year I hit in the shoulder and the arrow went all the way through the body and, upon exiting, caught her front leg and damn near cut it off. The arrow stuck in the ground approx. 5 inches. My bow is pretty quick but by no means the fastest, I am shooting a 2 year old Hoyt Intruder. Anyone that likes the mechanical broadhead but has had bad luck with them I recomend trying this broadhead before they go back to a fixed blade.

"The only thing you do better than me is drive that Diamante, and that's just because I've never been in it!"--Little John

Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont know if I am going to switch yet I am still having second thoughts about it because like 2 years ago I used a regular broad head and it didnt shoot right. and I still got my deer with the head. but how much do those grim reapers cost? and a quick question. do you have to change those blades on them cause mine are all bloddy? cause I dont really have the patients to change any blades.
    -michael