In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

beginner needs help

daweimerdaweimer Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
Here is my problem I bought a Mathews MQ32 70# 30" draw, gold tip 5570, splitfinger rest 20&30 yard pins. I don't know if is just me being a beginner and not being able to hold it steady enough at a target further away[:I] or if there is a problem. 20 yards 1/2 inch group dead on, 30 yards having trouble placing them in a 5" target.

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could be the bow-but it is probably you. You did say you were a beginner, takes a lot of practice to get accurate with a bow. Keep shooting at twenty yards. Rather than jumping right to 30, take 1 or 2 steps back, shoot a few, take another step back, shoot a few, continue this until you get to the point you lose accuracy.
    Next day, try and shoot just a little farther than you did the day before-continuethis process.
    THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT SHOOTING A BOW< IS BEING RELAXED.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like you're doing okay. 5" at 30 yards is pretty good. Isn't it....experts???? If you're grouping 1/2" at 20 yards, well, you're a far better shot than i am. I think my target circles are 4" but i feel pretty good if they go inside or real close at 30 yards. Between 30 and 40 yards i don't notice a lot of difference, so go for some distance.

Joe
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    stihl, no experts on here, you must be confused with another forum. [;)]

daweimer, welcome aboard. 1/2" group at 20 yards is better than I can shoot consistantly. Practice and good shooting techniques are what will lower your grouping size at further distances. Have you been to a pro shop to have them check out your form and setup, might be worth talking to them about it.
    I try not to take shots over 30-35 yards, mainly because of my equipment, but a 5" group is gonna kill deer.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the sport. Just keep practicing. I've been shooting for 5 years now and I've noticed everybody has varying abilities. If my bow is sighted in, and I haven't shot for a year, I have complete confidence that I can go pick it up and shoot it just as well as if I practiced all year. Like riding a bike. Some people need to practice a lot. That's ok. Just get use to it. My main thing is though, I start shooting mid to late summer just to make sure I'm on and mainly to work the muscles and get the strength back. That's really important so you can hold it longer if you need to and you can shoot more when you practice. When you start practicing and keep firing until your arm strength is exhausted, it's counter-productive to keep going. Just wait a while or try again another day. It took me a while to figure that out.

Also, I've found I like the longer range shots and I think you may too after you shoot a while, because they force you to be more steady and concentrate harder. Once it's sighted in, a bow is an amazing tool.
    This year I shot a doe with a 3 blade, Sabre 100 gr. broadhead, 5575 XT Gold tip arrow, Hoyt Raider, out at 45 yds. Went right through the liver. Went 20 yds and down. If it was a huge buck, I wouldn't have risked it, but there's lots of does, range finder confirmed and the worst you can do is miss....so I let it fly. 20-30 is the distance you want though. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey thanks for everyones advice it is all appreciated and I will use it wisely! Yall keep it up I enjoy the heck out of reading yalls posts!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    daweimer, your actually gonna use the advice from here? O boy.....
    [;)]
    hope you stick around and join in, the forums pretty fun and everyone gets along....fyi: don't push buckeyboy to much, he's a fireball. [:D]

So what all do you hunt down in LA, is whitetail your primary archery target? Primary archery target, sounds dumb after I reread it, but oh well, I never claimed to be smart. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah suspension my PAT (primary archery target [8D]) is whitetail and a hog if he happens to slip by! (I'd probably miss[:I]) Oh and thanks for the heads up on Buckey, I don't want to bush no buttons!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Buckeys just plain crazy and loves to argue [:D] Ask him why he likes the block target so much, he got his a$% thrown off here because of the block. [:D][:D] Buckey when you read this I will feel embarressed, but new people to the forum need to know these things! [:D]

hog hunter, something I always thought about doing, but never did. My brother has shot a couple with bow, but I never went. Only hog hunting we have around Ohio is preserves unless a farmer lets one get loose. [;)]
    You got any good cajun recipes for me? I love spicy food and am always on the look out for something new. [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well susp all the cajun recipes are up there in my head[;)] If you keep Buckey off of me[:D] and keep giving me good advice maybe I could give you a recipe for say some chicken and sausage gumbo or crawfish etoufee even jambalya!! You can eat till your happy and sick[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm okay with everything except the good advice, no promises there. [;)]

crawfish etoufee, can't pronouce the second word but ti sure sounds good. We just had some jambalya the overnight, it was out of a box though [:(], just add a few extra spicies and it isn't to bad, but it's not homemade thats for sure.
    Had a crawfish something or other over the summer, it was pretty good, but crawfish are rather hard to come by up here. We caught ours for that and it took most of the day to have enough for three adult men, but we were testing out 12 oz drinks in the mean time so that slowed us down some. [;)]