In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Time to move to carbon?

BigEdBigEd Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
Stuck a 3X3 whitetail last Monday...took out his left lung...found him about 30 minutes later approx. 300 yards away...mostly a picture perfect hunt (except for the 10 pointer I stumbled onto half way to finding the 3x3...oh well) My problem is that I would have expected to penetrate further than just the left lung....there was no damage to the right interior of the ribcage. Was using 28" aluminums with Muzzy 100 grain broadheads (good and sharp)...down angle was pretty steep (at least 60 degrees)...hit him a little high on his ribs just behind his shoulder...missed his heart by about 2+ inches (high)...wound to his lung was far forward...would estimate 10-15 yard shot...bow is set at 60# (supposedly). I am getting low on my supply of aluminum arrows (didn't find the killer arrow). Is it time to go to carbons for better performance?

Comments

• Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it's possible to take out both lungs from such a steep angled shot at that close range so, I'm not surprised there was no damage to the right side of the chest cavity. Did you get a pass through? How much penetration did you get? You obviously got enough. I would say the distance the buck traveled is consistent with only taking out one lung.
    Switching to carbon arrows is up to you. I don't necessarily think it will cure any problem you may think you have but, buy a half dozen to try. Worst case is you'll be out a few bucks and you can probably sell them to someone if you don't like them. If you're happy with your current set-up and aluminum arrows...well, if it's not broke, don't fix it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LH
    Did NOT get a passthrough...I could see at least half of the arrow sticking out of the deer as he ran away...hence my concern about the effectiveness of my equipment at longer ranges. The arrow could (should?) have done more damage to internal organs but did not penetrate far enough. I have been bowhunting for about three years but this is the first deer I've taken with it so I'm still trying to get a handle on what to expect. Maybe this experience is typical but I am anxious about the next one. Thank you for your reply.
  • Options
    hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ed
    First, welcome to gunbroker...I'm pretty new too but that doesn't keep me from saying welcome to the nuthouse!
    What knida bow are you shootin? I shoot a Hoyt that cronoed at like 260 fps range. I get a passthrough on every shot. I also shoot carbon arrows and Grim Reaper mechanical broadheads. You don't have to tune the mechanical broadheads and they fly just like field points. Try this set up, I believe you will like the difference in this and the setup you are currently using. Hope this helps!

"The only thing you do better than me is drive that Diamante, and that's just because I've never been in it!"--Little John

Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    BigEd, first off welcome aboard hope you stick around. Second, central Kansas.....farming.....your in whitetail heaven.....if you need anyone to tote your bow around just drop me a line. [;)]
    Now to your question, sorry I got off base there. [:D] Are you sure you didn't hit or graze the shoulder any? Half that arrow sticking out is strange at that distance, even if you would have had dull broadheads or a older slower bow. Maybe you got the first time jitters and only drew halfway? (just kidding [;)])
    Before I went and changed my setup I'd try another deer first. I don't use carbons and have never really liked them so I am kinda biased, but I always felt a heavier aluminum arrow provided better penetration, I'm sure plenty will argue with me, but I don't care. [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Suspension...thanks for the information...not only is it whitetail heaven...it's muley heaven....in the past 24 hours of scouting/hunting (I still have a "game tag" to fill, that's a whitetail doe) I've been within 20 yards of one 8 point and one 10 point whitetail buck; within 30 yards of a 10 point muley (this guy was fantastic) and within 200 yards of another lesser muley (still had 8-10 points) and half a dozen assorted does of both species...all on land that I own or operate. In fact the State of Kansas is so thankful that I feed them all year long that they sell me an "any deer" (either sex/species) permit for $11.00 and the permit is good for archery or firearm. Of course,I think they should give it to me for free.

I think I will take your advice..at least until I'm out of aluminum arrows...and maybe I'm analyzing too much...but it just didn't seem right after all the articles and such I've read in the past. Perhaps I caught a thick rib and it slowed the arrow down drastically...probably never know. For those who are wondering why I shot a 3x3 when all these other monsters are around....the monsters aren't stupid enough (apparently) to walk under my tree stand....that's how they get to be monsters. Great to visit with you guys!
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Wow, wish I had that much antler activity around me. This year I must say has just sucked for me bow hunting. I've seen some nice bucks, but not nearly the numbers I am used to. Maybe I stink this year, literally. Hard to tell.
    Here in Ohio anyone with a certain amount of acreage, supposed to be farm land, can apply for crop destruction tags. The state issues you a certain number of tags based on the amount of land and so on. It used to be when you used those tags it was illegal to do anything with the deer carcusses, but they finally changed that to optional as to what you do with them. Sure seemed dumb to know people were hungry in some cities and other people were killing deer and not allowed to do anything with the meat.
    I've only ever seen two monster mule deer in my life and they were both in 1998 out in Gunnison Forest, CO. Didn't have a mule deer tag and saw both of them the same week, they were huge. Made buckmasters look like they hunted spikes. [:D][;)]
    Good luck filling that last tag.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes make the switch. Carbon arrows or in my case bolts because I shoot A crossbow will not be bent without breaking. The aluminum arrows could get bent on your last shot of practice before you change the broadhead and not even know it. Carbon is straight unless it is broke or cracked. My crossbow shoots them very nice. Better than aluminum. You never have to worry about that shaft being bent that you are about to shoot that monster buck with.[;)]

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • Options
    mansonmanson Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen videos online where they show the diffrence in the flight from carbon arrows and aluminum(spelling) carbon arrows stay straight and the others flex during flight I want to switch but those arrows a just to much for me right now. no job.
    -michael
  • Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to another new guy! I switched this year to carbon. I don't quite know what to think yet. I broke one 2-3 weeks ago and it did alot of splinntering, not sure I liked it too much. I agree that you should maybe wait and see!

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only used carbon so I can't compare. I've been told that aluminum arrows will bend and you have to straighten them. You don't have to do that with carbon. Then again, I broke a carbon arrow inside a deer last week. The arrow passed through and stuck in the ground. I have no idea what happened to the half that was sporting the fletching and nock.