In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Breaking bone

ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
Could the new guy get some help? This last weekend I shot a buck. maybe I should'nt of tried the shot, Ihad a window of a one foot square opening at 25 yards so I took it. At first thought had a good hit but after further reveiw had a shoulder hit watching him run off wiyh my arrow and very little penetration.[:(] This was about one hour before dusk and had others hunting near by(Bang for one). When I got down I first went for blood and only had a minimag on me at the time. Could not find anything in the first few feet. Another buddy came out and we went further for blood and swept the area breifly but nothing. We had not seen Bang yet so figured he's either lost or has meat. Well had MEAT[:D] I helped get the LITTLE GUY out.(JUST MESSEN) We then got more lights and went back to tracking(if you could call it that). To cut this shorter we never found anything. Does anyone have any thoughts on different broadheads I could maybe try to avoid this in the future. I'm sure most of you can understand my dissapointment[:(] I used cheap heads and might want to try something for a little more $$$. Any suggestions are welcome.(WELL MAYBE NOT ANY) Thanks!

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Don't know if my reply counts but I like anything with the "chisel" tip. Off a brother in laws recomendation after I get a little more comfortable with the new bow I will try the crimson talon.
    There are some other fellas on here that can give better thoughts and ideas than I however they have a little more experience than I. Just my .02

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    If you are shooting a 'lightning fast' bow, I would seriously consider going to a heavier arrow/broadhead setup. I would stay away from the talons and here is why: When you shoot through a lot of bone, your broadhead comes out looking like a talon, and if that is the case, I wonder what a talon would look like. Straight metal should be stronger than bent. Ultimate bone breaking will come from a two blade broadhead. The reason you did not get blood is that you hit the deer high and did not pass through. Most of the bleeding was probably internal, and shoulders do not bleed that much to begin with.

To give you a little piece of mind: My Grandpa did the same thing last year, and two days later I saw his deer walking perfectly normal and eating acorns. I'm sure he was sore, but he did not even limp.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Ben. And yes I too am hoping he will survive. I told my buddies if anyone saw him during this weekends shotgun season to shoot him and get my arrow back.[:D] One told me he was'nt wasting a buck tag on him.(the buck was not a trophy by any means,a fork with one side broke off) But I sure wanted some more meat for my freezer!
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well when it comes to bone hits 100-125 2-blades are the best; something like Magnus Stinger.
    edited November -1
    I have just read that muzzy's are very good for this.[?] Others were saying (maybe not for bone) but that spitfire mechanicals were the sh*#. I just have never been sure about mechanicals. I know the hole bang got on his hit saturday was great.

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I was going to suggest a muzzy, but am not sure if they have a two blade setup. I'm thinking they only have a three, but am not sure.
    I read some good stuff in Ted's mag about the Magnus Stingers, I like the looks of them to. I haven't ordered any yet though.
    http://209.182.83.159/

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    Oh ya! Those are sweet![:p]

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Big fan of the nudges "Spirit of the Wild" show on OTDC. Watch it ever Tues. except tonight[:(], the daughter wanted to watch Frosty the snow man. He brags on those stingers a lot.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
    edited November -1
    Hey Bang, what does frosty use?[:D]

edited November -1
    The only thing better than frosty is Charlie Brown [8D]

Our cable in this area stopped carring the network that had Ted's show on it [}:)] Gotta get one if those dish networks in order to see it now, my buddy has one but I'm afraid I'll wear out my welcome if I only visit to watch Ted. [:D]
    Ever watch any of his VHS hunting video's? That guy gives it how it is and that's why i like him. Most of the things he does is like us, not like professional buck master George. I saw him throw his bow down to the ground, break it, then pull out a 50 cal desert eagle to finish off a charging buffalo in africa, it came out of nowhere after him and his camera guy who was running backwards. [:D][:D]
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grim Reaper Broadheads. "Are you going for Bambi? or Godzilla?" grimreaperbroadheads.com
    edited November -1
    bambi, why?
    [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know 'Sus...for finger sandwiches?? That's GRB's catchy marketing phrase. Kinda' goofy, eh?
  • hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, the Grim Reaper is on bad mother.

"The only thing you do better than me is drive that Diamante, and that's just because I've never been in it!"--Little John

Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lmbhngr
    I don't know 'Sus...for finger sandwiches?? That's GRB's catchy marketing phrase. Kinda' goofy, eh?

really? that is kinda goofy. bet PETA has a hayday with that, using bambi in a broadhead advertisement. [:(!]

How's your season been going? Mine sucks dirty old swamp water. [:I]