In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How Do You Wrap Your Deer?

crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
Just curious. For those of you that cut up your own deer and not have to pay to have it done. What do you use to wrap up the burger, steaks or roast with. Freezer bags,cling wrap, or vacuum sealed bags before freezer paper. I am thinking about purchasing one of those vacuum sealing machines since they have come down in price. I know when I buy my half beef it is all vacuumed sealed with no freezer paper and it lasts a long time with no freezer burn.[?]

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    My brother inlaw does all his own and he has all the stuff needed. He has a real nice electric grinder for burger then he uses cling wrap and freezer paper on that. then for the straps and any stew type meat or steaks he will vacuum seal them. He has a nice sealer that has the roll of bags on the inside of the sealer as well as the blade that cuts them off and seals in seconds. Its kinda fun to do your own I took one of mine down to his place this year and he taught me how to do it all. Make sure you get a good sealer, we have one and it takes more time to seal then it does to get it all ready. He paid like $130 for his and like I said it seals in seconds.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I myself use cling wrap then butchers paper. I get the paper from a place in town. I've done 17 deer in 2 years for me, family, friends, and I still have a half a roll of it. Sams club used to sell it to, don't know if they still do or not.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I agree with taco.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    mansonmanson Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont buy those vacume sealers I got one and if the meat it wet you wont ever get the air out of it. I use these storage baggies called heft baggies. its a red box with an aligator on it. those work pretty good.
    -michael
  • Options
    edited November -1
    manson if you have a good sealer it should suck the blood, water whatever right out. The one the inlaw has has a tray to catch all the moist stuff and has to be dumped occasionally. The last one (deer)I took to the shop came back in both freezer paper and vaccum sealed depended on the cut.

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice job! I have a food saver 370 with roll bags, premade bags,etc.
    I have never had any problem with it. I absolutely love it.[:)] I myself don't think it is that much hassel. If you have soom really wet meat you need to get most of the unnessary moisture out first, then make certain not to get any moisture at all in the pump or it will be ruined. I place a paper towel in the chamber before the bag and it will pick up the moisture before it hits the pump.

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ENOS29
    Nice job! I have a food saver 370 with roll bags, premade bags,etc.
    I have never had any problem with it. I absolutely love it.[:)] I myself don't think it is that much hassel. If you have soom really wet meat you need to get most of the unnessary moisture out first, then make certain not to get any moisture at all in the pump or it will be ruined. I place a paper towel in the chamber before the bag and it will pick up the moisture before it hits the pump.

You beat me! I say ditto to everything, except I'm not sure what model food saver I have. [:)]
    crosshair, do you do much with bulk food, fish, or put in a garden every year? If you do a vacuum packer will be something you will like a lot. Sometimes I partially freeze my steaks before vacuuming to get rid of excess water to, or use papertowels like ENOS.
    I buy rolls of the bags also and cut them to whatever length I need, then you can reuse the bags (I don't for chicken though) just wash them out and dry them. Buy it, you'll like it.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, The only reason I am looking to buy a vacuum sealer is for the deer meat that I process myself. The beef that I buy is vacuumed sealed with no freezer paper. The butchers that process the beef that I buy say that you do not need to wrap in freezer paper if it is vacuumed sealed properly. I have found that out to be true because none of my beef gets freezer burnt and it all tastes very good. They say the key thing is to get all the air out and it won't freezer burn. I am just thinking that if I start vacuum sealing the deer meat that it will be alot better down the road after being in the freezer. I know the bags can be costly but I am willing to pay if it is better. Just wondering if other people that vacuum seal also wrap in freezer paper? I do alot of jerky and deer bologna also. It may also be good for that too. [?]

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    i save bread bags then wrap it in either a freezer bag or nothing them wrap it in butcher paper

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I vacuum my deer meat I only use the plastic vacuum bags, nothing else. I normally don't have deer meat much over a year, but I feel it tastes as good after a year as it did when it was fresh. I vacuum bologna also, no jerky though, I put that in glass jars for easy access to it. [:D]
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Can't quite remember cause it's been so long since I bagged a deer.If'n I remember I will be sure to Post.

These guys I hunt with are shootin'em all around me the past years I don't think there's many left for me to get a crack at.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Options
    mansonmanson Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh well I dont care. I dont bag it anyways. my mom does. me and my dad cut it and my mom bags it. she says its to much work to do that when it is easyer to put it in a bag and put a twist tie on it.
    -michael
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    There is only one way I have found to preserve fish well. Frozen in a ziplock filled to the top with water. Works very very well.

Ben(the fish hoarder)

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ben, do you cut out mud lines or leave them in? talking catfish of course...I thought the mud lines gave a strong taste, but then noticed in some channels it never mattered so I got confused and just now began thinking of it again. [:D]

a case of beer, moon lite night, campfire, farm pond, and a mess of bluegill are to kill for in my book. Just add salt and a little lemon then grill on open fire with skin on..yummy......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can do without the skin but you are making me hungry..I could go crappie about the same way. I can't tell which is better...I eat them both generally in the same sitting. [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    I don't eat the skin, just cook it with it on. I've never had luck with crappie except deep frying at home. No idea why, but crappie never turns out good for me. Makes a lot of sense huh, those two fish are darn near identical.
    Must be me [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I double wrap butchers paper