In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Jackal Hunting

BakuMaxBakuMax Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
Hi,

Anyone out there ever do any Jackal hunting? Where I live they are plentiful and kill lambs this time of year. I would like some tips on that. The local shepherds have dogs to keep them away in the daytime, and throw rocks at them sometimes. Sometimes they shoot them with shotguns, as rifles are illegal. No one but me uses a bow, so I am being encouraged to "go for it" this winter in the late afternoons.

I'd appreciate any useful advice.

Thanks, guys!

Do no harm.

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    sorry don't know anything about that.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    You got to have a quiet bow. I'm sure they are jumpy creatures.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    setup a blind and throw dead carcusses within 15 yards of your blind then wait. That's what I saw them doing on the discovery channel...or poison them, but if another animal eats the dead jackal then it'll kill them also.

Where you from anyway?
  • BakuMaxBakuMax Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

I live in Azerbaijan and am a member of a humanitarian development team from the USA. This is a former "Republic" of the USSR. It is pretty interesting to work here, however sometimes it is really depressing. Hunting is completely "deregulated" and if someone wants to hunt an engangered species, they only have to pay a bribe to a local official and then just kill them. I won't do that, of course. The other day a friend said there were some big, tasty birds out at a big lake. Though I speak the language here somewhat (It is sort of like Turkish), I didn't know the name of the bird in English. So I looked it up and it was Swan! I don't think I want to shoot a swan, good eating or not.

The jackals, on the other hand, are a pest like coyotes in the midwest of the USA. There are also fox, wolves and black bear, but I don't want to mess with them (especially the bear). There is a type of wildcat, but I haven't heard it howl or seen signs of it yet. There are big rabbits and lots and lots of nasty snakes which can kill you or make you very ill.

I've done a little work up in the southern Caucaus Mountains, and traded some tanned leather for skins of fox and mountain sheep. The sheepskins make nice winter hats.

The archery is something I've not done since I was in the Army years ago. (I've been retired for 16 years.) so I'm spending some time practicing on hay bales. I've got a 45 lb. recurve and a 57 lb. longbow. I'm using birch (I think) target arrows right now. I've got about 80 aluminum 2212 fletched shafts and will get points for them when I go stateside for Christmas. I've also made a bunch of "river cane" shafts with turkey-wing fletches and hand-cut and filed, tanged broadheads. They are pretty interesting. I need to get better at straightening them, though. I would like to build my own Central Asian composite bow someday, and have the word out that I'm looking for water buffalo horns to use to reinforce them.

It is a crazy world we live in, and here among some of the people who were the wildest a few hundred years ago, you can really see the great damage done by the USSR to destroy culture, religion and cause chaos.

Do no harm.
    edited November -1
    welcome aboard BakuMax. You sound like an extremely interresting person or should I say well traveled person. Do you only return to the US once a year for holidays? Are you alone over there or do you have family with you?
    I need to do a little geography studing and figure out where your talking about. [:)]
    edited November -1
    Azerbaijan - a nation with a Turkic and majority-Muslim population - regained its independence after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. Despite a 1994 cease-fire, Azerbaijan has yet to resolve its conflict with Armenia over the Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh enclave (largely Armenian populated). Azerbaijan has lost 16% of its territory and must support some 800,000 refugees and internally displaced persons as a result of the conflict. Corruption is ubiquitous and the promise of widespread wealth from Azerbaijan's undeveloped petroleum resources remains largely unfulfilled.

Isn't the web just so at hand information it's almost pitiful.[:D]
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/aj.html
  • riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats gotta be tough - need an upwind shot to cover the sound
  • BakuMaxBakuMax Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, Guys,

Yep, the Internet is full of interesting information. Azerbaijan is located north of Iran, South of Georgia and Dagistan (the southern-most region of Russia), west of the Caspian Sea (across to the east is Turkmenistan), and east of Turkey and Armenia. There are about 8,000,000 Azeris in Azerbaijan and another 22 million living in northern Iran. Though the people usually call themselves "Muslims," it is very rare to see anyone doing namaz (praying on rugs 5x per day) or doing anything else.

I won't take my bow out with me this weekend. My wife and I will go out to a tiny village and visit with families there. We have a "butterball turkey" to eat tomorrow at a friend's house (if I have gotten over the flu by then), so we are pretty free to celebrate our traditional holidays. Christmas isn't celebrated here, but the same tree, santa, reindeer and snowman are seen at New Years! Pretty interesting.

We usually go home once a year for a three week to a month visit. Three weeks this year for Christmas and New Year's. Got a bunch of grandkids to play with! In about two years we'll retire and just stay home with them. Gotta teach those boys to play banjo and shoot straight!

Anyway, after New Years, I expect to get in some hunting out there. From reading about "40 yards" I know that I'd better try to keep those distances short. The Jackals aren't all that big. I think I can use a fresh sheepskin (about $2.00 here) to attract them. There's a lot of brush in some places where I've seen them, so I should have a place to hide.

Peace, ya'll!

Do no harm.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BakuMax
    Gotta teach those boys to play banjo and shoot straight!

[;)]That is the best thing I've heard all day. [:)]
    Goodluck with the jackal's and have a nice holiday. Hope to see ya around the board more.